• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish Summer Tests

annoyingly this tour wont get kidney kicked out, nor will the games at the end of the year, gonna have to wait for another bad six nations before we see kidney gone

Kidney will stay until the end of his contract next summer. The IRFU won't want to buy him out of his deal and then have to fork out more money for one of Joe Schmidt, Conor O'Shea or (rather unpalatably) one of Michael Bradley and Mark McCall.

Anthony Foley. Will be Deccie's nomination I'm sure. if Bradley or McCall get it ehich seems likely I'll be very annoyed. McLaughlin would be a good relatively cheap choice.

Gatland wasn't right for Ireland and wasn't as good.

Conor O'Shea will hopefully make a great Ireland coach one day.

I'd like to point out that despite the fact McCarthy is definitely the wrong selection he isn't a bad player. He's been one of Connacht's star players and is a strong carrier, good defender and solid front of the line jumper. Not what we need though we now have all our second rows are better at the front. Ryan will do well enough in the middle though and DO'C always preferred jumping there. Lineout could be a worry nowhere near as big a worry as the scrum but none the less a worry.

Pretty sure Tuohy takes plenty of ball in the middle for Ulster, although Muller is understandably our go-to man.

I look forwards to him spending a tour holding tackle bags then.

He does the odd time but despite being a very good enforcer he isn't someone I'd want running an international lineout as the the middle jumper generally does. Obviously I'd rather he was ahead of DO'C but Kidney will pick DO'C unfortunately. At least he'll come off the bench and may start a test. Hopefully he adds to his try scoring record vs N.Z.

He does the odd time but despite being a very good enforcer he isn't someone I'd want running an international lineout as the the middle jumper generally does. Obviously I'd rather he was ahead of DO'C but Kidney will pick DO'C unfortunately. At least he'll come off the bench and may start a test. Hopefully he adds to his try scoring record vs N.Z.

Does anyone know how the lineout held up in the match against the Barbarians?
I don't suppose that the fact that Tuohy and Ryan started that game with O'Callaghan on the bench means that O'Callaghan has moved down the pecking order? Or am I just being overly optimistic (yet again) about Kidney pursuing a selection policy that is anyway influenced by form, ability and development of future Irish players?

He also runs our lineout when Muller isn't there, and obviously Muller is about as good a man to learn from as there is (so's POC mind). Our lineout is one of the few aspects of our game I don't remember imploding during the World Cup. He looks about as good a candidate to run the lineout as is there.

edit: OSullie, judging from the reports the lineout went fine, but the location of Best and Trimble on the bench says that you shouldn't take O'Callaghan being there as a sign that'll he stay there.

Last edited:
I think there is no doubt that Ryan will call the linneout. He did it during the 6n and it's one of the few decisions I'll be happy with. Tbh I also want someone with more experience than calling in an understaffed Rabo game. Against a lineout containing either/ possibly both Whitelock and Williams who despite being in poor form is about 6'10".

I saw Toner in Dundrum the other night..He was seemed easily 2 -3 feet taller than her ..The man is a freak in height. Although he didn't look particularly athletic either it's quite apparent up close why he often gets driven backwards in the collision

It's true he seems to lack bulk that is however changing hes been a lot better carrier this year.

Latest posts