• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italians may join Magners League

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 6 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
and another perfectly good thread goes down the toilet. :rolleyes:[/b]

Prestwick got himself into this mess.
He should have known that i'm not out on the town trying to pull, therefore am sitting at home grumpy and just looking for an argument.
:D
The evidence is everywhere. I'm picking on everyone tonight.

Lol.
I think they know that i'm not picking a real fight.
FFS if i ever want to get into an argument with the English over Magners vs Guinness it may actually show that i care about either.

I say it many a time: Internationals are where the priorities of every welshman lies. The club game is something to pass the time until wales play again.

facepalm.jpg

And its a bit rich bemoaning the end of the thread when you were pooh poohing the Italian teams! I was the only guy sticking up for Italy here!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 6 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can only speak for Wales but...

Magners League: Wales do not have the quality outside of the Regions that could possibly enable a system where teams are relegated and promoted. It's just not feasible, strength in depth and quality are not there.

Guinness Premiership, however seems to be in a much healthier position. I mean, it's simply a league made for 13 teams, but there's only room for 12. One team gets relegated from the premiership and it bounces back the very next season, same old story.[/b]

Not quite. Over the past few seasons the standards of ND1 have been improving year-on-year. While it has generally been the case that whoever goes down comes straight back up over the past 4-5 seasons this won't be the case forever. The likes of Exeter, Bedford, Plymouth and Nottingham (assumg they can stay afloat) are set for big things in the next few years, possibly as of next season being as neither Newcastle or Bristol are in any sort of position to survive the pitfall of relegation.

Combine that with the new restructuring and investment of ND1 and we're looking at serious potential for a competitive 2 tier system.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 6 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 6 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can only speak for Wales but...

Magners League: Wales do not have the quality outside of the Regions that could possibly enable a system where teams are relegated and promoted. It's just not feasible, strength in depth and quality are not there.

Guinness Premiership, however seems to be in a much healthier position. I mean, it's simply a league made for 13 teams, but there's only room for 12. One team gets relegated from the premiership and it bounces back the very next season, same old story.[/b]

Not quite. Over the past few seasons the standards of ND1 have been improving year-on-year. While it has generally been the case that whoever goes down comes straight back up over the past 4-5 seasons this won't be the case forever. The likes of Exeter, Bedford, Plymouth and Nottingham (assumg they can stay afloat) are set for big things in the next few years, possibly as of next season being as neither Newcastle or Bristol are in any sort of position to survive the pitfall of relegation.

Combine that with the new restructuring and investment of ND1 and we're looking at serious potential for a competitive 2 tier system.
[/b][/quote]

Id like you to add London Welsh to that list, this season they went proffessional and they are seeing the benefits from it! The ND1 is growing stronger season by season!

Cool, good to know.

Edit: Just want to confirm i don't really want an argument. I'm just grumpy and horny.
Lethal combo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 6 2008, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And its a bit rich bemoaning the end of the thread when you were pooh poohing the Italian teams! I was the only guy sticking up for Italy here![/b]

I'm with you... admittedly about half an hour late, but still.
The Magners league obviously isn't a good place for the italians to go, as said before.
but the only way they are going to improve is to play against top quality opposition, even if they go in the french leagues and get relegated in the first season, they will improve quite a bit I would say.
look at the improvement italy have made since joining the 6N

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 6 2008, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
RC has Santino to answer to now..

Santino%20Marella.jpg
[/b]

eh? :mellow: who the **** is Santino?
and people putting down Viadana - didn't they give Glasgow a run for their money in Glasgow (a place that troubles the top teams in the Magners), and then go on to have a Bonus point win over Glasgow in the high-scoring return fixture?
But on the other side, we'd see lot of hammerings before any real progress is shown, for example - the two meetings between Magners League sides and Italian sides in this seasons Heineken Cup:
Calvisano 20 - 54 Cardiff Blues
Ospreys 68 - 8 Bennetton Treviso
and they're the top 2 from the Italian League last season...

EDIT: I take it back
just actually checked the scores, they didn't beat Glasgow at home... but they did give them a run for their money both times, and gave Biarritz and Sarries a run for their money.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 6 2008, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And its a bit rich bemoaning the end of the thread when you were pooh poohing the Italian teams! I was the only guy sticking up for Italy here![/b]

This wasn't a thread about bestowing the virtues of Italian club rugby, you made the point that Viadana were good enough for the Magners League, I argued the point, so now I'm killing off this thread all of a sudden???

So, hi. I thought I'd chip in my two cents here.

NO ITALIANS IN A CELTIC COMPETITION BECAUSE THEY'LL FORCE US ALL TO HAVE SILLY SPONSORS LIKE MARIO'S NOODLE MAKERS!

God, that felt good to get off my chest.
But seriously, what'd be the point of throwing in a few Italian teams outside of for the sake of the Italians?
Surely there must be an alternative to boost Italian Rugby outside of lumping them into the Celtic, uhm I mean Magners league, right? I think the ML has it's own problems to worry about, and adding new non-celtic teams won't fix them. First get the Welsh out of the EDF! Then look at other silly ideas.

My 2p.....

Many RL fans didn't want the Catalan Dragons in SuperLeague and yet they have been a genuine success. The reason for their inclusion? To help the promotion and development of the game in France. Toulose have been allowed in NL1 next season for the same reason.

I see many parallels with the Italian situation in RU. If RU fans geuninely wish to grow the club game in Italy then it's important to find a vehicle that would allow that growth. Just perhaps the ML is that vehicle?

Latest posts