• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy v Ireland

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 16 2009, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You had to laugh, it was one of the worst renditions of any "anthem" Ive seen in a long time. You either laugh or walk over and smack the conductor.

Agree on Ferris through. Personally I thought he outshone the rest of the backrow players. He's been a real find.[/b]

he certainly has and is another one putting himself in serious contention for the Lions and a quality offload for Fitzgerald's try was a bonus yesterday.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Feb 16 2009, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just because there's a lack of good 10's in Britain and especially Ireland, don't confuse O'Gara's display today as acceptable. He can be very good on his day, but he hasn't been for a while. Yes he's the best Ireland have at the moment, and he can't loose his place because there's no-one to step in, but don't start comparing him with Godman etc. If you want to compare him to anyone, compare him with Carter, the way a top fly half should perform.

This year has been really dissapointing at fly-half, neither Hook nor Cipriani have developed as they should (in fact they've both gone backwards), but the way O'gara's been playing, I'd prefer an off form Hook, and definately Stephen Jones who put his terrible kicking against Scotland behind him yesterday. So far, Stephen Jones is miles ahead for the lions 10 shirt, just because there's no-one else challenging, pitty![/b]
I agree with this almost entirely. O'Gara hasn't covered himself in glory in an international jersey this year. His 2nd half against Italy was much better than his appalling 1st half performance but I'd struggle to rate him at anything over 6/10 for the game. Along with the faults people have already pointed out, his penalty kicking to touch was very short bar one or two efforts. He's easily the best Ireland have but the way he's playing at the moment indicates to me that he's a player in decline - still capable of playing well at the highest level but those displays are getting a bit rarer. He reached his peak around the 2007 6 Nations.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Feb 16 2009, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Was he top try scorer that year?[/b]
He definitely scored tries against Scotland and France and I think he scored against Wales too. He was sensational that season.

I hope it doesn't come across that I'm criticising O'Gara for the sake of it. I hope he recovers his form at international level (he's still playing well for Munster) but I can't see him reaching his level of two years ago again. He'll be Ireland's 10 until the next world cup, at which point he'll move into coaching, a role I think he'll excel in given the way he reads a game and how he's made the most of his talent.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 16 2009, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Feb 16 2009, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was he top try scorer that year?[/b]
He definitely scored tries against Scotland and France and I think he scored against Wales too. He was sensational that season.

I hope it doesn't come across that I'm criticising O'Gara for the sake of it. I hope he recovers his form at international level (he's still playing well for Munster) but I can't see him reaching his level of two years ago again. He'll be Ireland's 10 until the next world cup, at which point he'll move into coaching, a role I think he'll excel in given the way he reads a game and how he's made the most of his talent.
[/b][/quote]

he definitely scored in Rome as well. He's not bang on form, don't think anyone is denying it, but he's always had problems with that ball in Rome, he let it get to him big time in the first half but fortunately for Ireland he found his range at the start of the second half. He should be a lot more comfortable in the next match.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 16 2009, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
he definitely scored in Rome as well. He's not bang on form, don't think anyone is denying it, but he's always had problems with that ball in Rome, he let it get to him big time in the first half but fortunately for Ireland he found his range at the start of the second half. He should be a lot more comfortable in the next match[/b]
I won't deny his reported dislike for the Mitre ball but he also had problems with his kicking in the November tests and especially against France a week ago. I think it's an area of his game which needs improvement. I've no doubt that he's working on it.

Can Masi be cited for the tackle on Kearney or does the yellow card mean that it's been sufficiently dealt with, cause it should have been a straight red?

No idea. You have to say if that tackle happened in the second half it would have been straight red.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 16 2009, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No idea. You have to say if that tackle happened in the second half it would have been straight red.[/b]

it's a poor excuse, touch judge should have been firmer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 16 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can Masi be cited for the tackle on Kearney or does the yellow card mean that it's been sufficiently dealt with, cause it should have been a straight red?[/b]

Was a yellow fair and square. Straight reds have to be for something very serious; that was merely over-exuberant.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 16 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 16 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can Masi be cited for the tackle on Kearney or does the yellow card mean that it's been sufficiently dealt with, cause it should have been a straight red?[/b]

Was a yellow fair and square. Straight reds have to be for something very serious; that was merely over-exuberant.
[/b][/quote]

what's your definition of serious if it's a not a swinging arm against someone come at full tilt?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 16 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 16 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

He could've broken his neck.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 16 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Was a yellow fair and square. Straight reds have to be for something very serious; that was merely over-exuberant.[/b]
That statement has to be a wind up :D

Love the "over-exuberant" bit. He nearly took his head clean off.

He could have died you know?

Kinda makes you think? What if? What's the meaning of Life? Is it rugby?

Talking about death here and babies in the Gavin Henson appreciation tread and the creepy children have a bbay thread.

Really makes you think... Is rugby a development of the fundimental principles and a psycholgical manifestation of what life is? Is rugby the game of life?

Will we soon be seeing 'Indiana Jones and the Web Ellis Cup'.... Or is it beyond that?

He could have died you know...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 16 2009, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 16 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

what's your definition of serious if it's a not a swinging arm against someone come at full tilt?
[/b][/quote]

Normally I'd expect it to be off the ball; or something really malicious like vicious head-stamping, unprovoked violence, that sort of thing.

For me a nasty tackle warrants a straight yellow, which is what he got. It is no more dangerous than half the punches that go unpunished; the shoulder tackles using no arms; and taking fullbacks out in the air... and players get away with this all the time. They should have a straight yellow for all of it.

Didn't think Nalaga earned his red card for the PIs either...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 16 2009, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 16 2009, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 16 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Normally I'd expect it to be off the ball; or something really malicious like vicious head-stamping, unprovoked violence, that sort of thing.

For me a nasty tackle warrants a straight yellow, which is what he got. It is no more dangerous than half the punches that go unpunished; the shoulder tackles using no arms; and taking fullbacks out in the air... and players get away with this all the time. They should have a straight yellow for all of it.

[/b][/quote]well kearney didnt exactly ask to be decapitated to the best of my knowledge. the game wasn't on long enough for it to be provoked. And it probably is more dangerous than a punch the neck is a very risky place to get a bad knock i have a mate who has a pretty bad case of whiplash from a sporting injury he sustained bout 3 years ago

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 17 2009, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 16 2009, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 16 2009, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]well kearney didnt exactly ask to be decapitated to the best of my knowledge. the game wasn't on long enough for it to be provoked. And it probably is more dangerous than a punch the neck is a very risky place to get a bad knock i have a mate who has a pretty bad case of whiplash from a sporting injury he sustained bout 3 years ago
[/b][/quote]

well since kearney's jesus in Irish eyes I suppose its not fair that he got hurt. Lee Byrne would have stayed on his feet.

Latest posts