England
Club or Nation
Bath
Italy.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
Ireland.png

Stadio Olimpico, Italy
14:30, 16/03/13

yeh, important one. Ireland gets the spoon if they fail here. It will also be the first time (not ever, but..) in the 6N they lose to Italy...
Very interesting one. Personally, it's a bit delicate coz these are the two other nations I support in Europe...but fk it, I'd love for Italy to get this one. It would really, really be a nice cherry on the sundae, and would sort of all of a sudden make their middle two miserable performances (MField+VS WAL) disappear.

For Ireland, this tournament is like France. We were the two "favorites", though even before the end of the world unfolded for France I thought like PSA, that ENG were really the favorites as they had us in Twickenham and 3 games at home overall just 2 away...so yeh for Ireland this 6N is over, just a matter of lowering the damage. They don't have a bunch of guys and at full strength I have great faith in Ireland, even in more mediocre performances this 6N they've managed some good construction on attack, inspired play. Then the defense has been there also, and with Sexton back the kicking should be right up to parrrrr....

For this matchup in particular; regardless of the stakes and position of the match (last of the 6N); interestingly enough it COULD be an absolute "crackah" (as my aussie friends would say), but I fear they'll both play it safe. They're both capable of tight tight defense, but I see Ireland playing it safe and the Italians relying on their scrum big time...I think we'll see some nice attack here and there, but overall both teams want to make sure they win this and won't look exactly adventurous out there on the field I reckon.
Too bad because at any other time during the tournament, like in the middle, this could have been candy for the eyes.

For the tournament this year, and through the scope of my pure rugby exuberance, I'm still glad we've had that first weekend (France lost in Italy AGAIN, but at least Italy played awesome rugby and France had some nice attacks, I hated losing to Wales coz it was just a nightmare to watch for both sides), the England Italy and IRE FRA games.

Hopefully this last weekend can be a little fun to watch.......just a little !

This could be a scorcher i reckon! Throughout this competition Italy have seemingly taken over from the French the ***le of most unpredictable team. So i'll say the words - It depends on which Italy shows up. If its the Italy which showed up against England and France it'll be damn close and hard fought. Personally i see the Scotland-France game being similar in that they are two games for the taking for the two underdogs, Italy and Scotland. I can't quite see past a narrow-to-modest Irish victory, but then again i couldn't see past an Irish victory against the Scots either whilst watching the game. Looking forward to this one!

I was worried about Italy in the aftermath of the England match but I'm so not worried anymore, Ireland play a faster game than England, with Sexton we're more clinical and England trying to play slow and lack of finishing is what allowed the Italians into the game.

Even after the endless amount of **** I've given Declan Kidney, he did coach us to our 2nd grand slam and I'd like to see him go out on a win.

Much much more so if it is BOD's last game.

Is there actually anyone left alive in the Ireland squad after that though? Does Luke Marshall know what week it is again yet?

Is there actually anyone left alive in the Ireland squad after that though? Does Luke Marshall know what week it is again yet?

I reckon the backline will look like this:

9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Earls/Fitzgerald
12. Earls/FitzGerald/Trimble/Madigan
13. O'Driscoll
14. Fitzgerald/Trimble
15. Kearney

The pack will be OK, the line out might struggle without Ryan but if Henderson is in for O'Mahoney at least we'd have plenty of options.

As far as I understand we are bringing Mike Gibson out of retirement for Marshall.

I reckon the backline will look like this:

9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Earls/Fitzgerald
12. Earls/FitzGerald/Trimble/Madigan
13. O'Driscoll
14. Fitzgerald/Trimble
15. Kearney

The pack will be OK, the line out might struggle without Ryan but if Henderson is in for O'Mahoney at least we'd have plenty of options.

But no middle jumper neither DO'C or McCarthy are comfortable there or regular callers. Bring back Cullen...

Last edited:
Hello there, first post. Irishman living in France.

I think we'll win this and win by about 8-12 points. Not taking Italy for granted but I don't think they can out two great performances together back-to-back yet. Plus with Sexton we're a much better side.

Win or lose I'm fairly certain this is Kidney's last game in charge. Hallelujah.

Interesting to see that Ireland's forwards by some distance have made the least passes in the 6n. Interesting but not surprising.

I think we'll win this and win by about 8-12 points. Not taking Italy for granted but I don't think they can out two great performances together back-to-back yet. Plus with Sexton we're a much better side.

Win or lose I'm fairly certain this is Kidney's last game in charge. Hallelujah.

Good to have you!

Last edited:
Throughout this competition Italy have seemingly taken over from the French the ***le of most unpredictable team. So i'll say the words - It depends on which Italy shows up.

yeh wtvr man, all your comments are belong to us, make total destroy !
Also: yes, it's finally happened. Italy have reached a level worthy of the "Tier 1" label. Now, if they lose a match they're "criticizable", accountable wholly for their faults. There is no more "yeh, but it's Italy. They're up and coming you know..." because we've seen they can beat France at home and srsly threaten England IN TWICKENHAM. And before that very solid against even the AB for 60min and almost got the Wallabies.
Now that they're reaching their prime, or at least maturity, a good performance isn't an incredible attempt at an upset - it's reasonably within range. And so, their irregularity on the field should be called "Italian inconsistency", they 'deserve' that label now :D
And starting from now, ppl SHOULD start asking: "which Italian side will turn up ?"
Ppl may think I'm talking too fast here, but given the complexion of all their matches from November til now, I do believe this year marks their true arrival in the world of rugby.

End of the Six Nations. People are already dreading the return to Pro12.

Not me. Sick of watching the turgid sh!te DeClown dreams up and more than happy to go back to the heads-up running rugby that Maaak encourages.

Ireland will struggle over line. Lets not forget Sexton will be far from 100% and we are disorganised all over but think we will fall over line

Anyways, can't see Italy blown out for this one...
I was surprised enough by how bad and how "little" they played against Wales in Rome this year, but I can't see like a 6-25 here. I do believe this is Italy's true arrival this year, and they'll show up for the last weekend...
then they've got that tiny tournament thingy with Scotland, Samoa and SA. Should be AWESOME ! Great test of character/maturity and consistency for Italy...

Anyways, can't see Italy blown out for this one...
I was surprised enough by how bad and how "little" they played against Wales in Rome this year, but I can't see like a 6-25 here. I do believe this is Italy's true arrival this year, and they'll show up for the last weekend...
then they've got that tiny tournament thingy with Scotland, Samoa and SA. Should be AWESOME ! Great test of character/maturity and consistency for Italy...

To be fair, that margin flattered Wales. The first try was an absolute fluke, and 9 points came from the scrum which was unexpected the level of dominance there was. Still Italy were dissappointing in that match, they normally always show up in Rome and get thumped away, roles reversed somewhat last couple of matches, but I don't expect them to be as bad as they were against Wales. Should be very close, Ireland have several injuries, I think Italy may well take this or at least come close.

Welcome to the forum! I always back Italy to bring a good game at home, if they can bring the same game they had against England to the Stadio Olimpico, I really think the home crowd could take them all the way.

On balance though, I think Italy will push Ireland to the death but lose by less than 7.

Latest posts