• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japan RWC 2019

Hi. New member to the forum and this thread. I'm helping plan a trip to RWC19 for 5 UK based people. We won the following tickets in the ballot -

Sunday, September 29, 2019 Australia v Wales Ajinomoto Stadium, Chōfu
Friday, October 4, 2019 South Africa v Italy Shizuoka Stadium, Fukuroi
Saturday, October 5, 2019 England v Argentina Ajinomoto Stadium, Chōfu
Wednesday, October 9, 2019 Scotland v Russia Shizuoka Stadium, Fukuroi

Hi. New member to the forum and this thread. I'm helping plan a trip 2 week trip to RWC19 for 5 UK based people. We won the following tickets in the ballot -

Sunday, September 29, 2019 Australia v Wales Ajinomoto Stadium, Chōfu
Friday, October 4, 2019 South Africa v Italy Shizuoka Stadium, Fukuroi
Saturday, October 5, 2019 England v Argentina Ajinomoto Stadium, Chōfu
Wednesday, October 9, 2019 Scotland v Russia Shizuoka Stadium, Fukuroi

I'm happy to get involved in sharing info etc and have a couple of questions for everyone. I've only had a quick look through this thread so apologies if this is going over old ground (please direct me to the right post if this is the case)

I've had cursory look at flights and accommodation a couple of weeks ago but there didn't seem to be too much available for this window.

Flights. Using www.skyscanner.net, there seems to be very few direct flights available (in fact none at all today), only flights with 1 or 2 stops (18 hours+ !!)

Hotels. I'm thinking Hamamatsu or Shizouka for the Fukuroi matches and there's Tokyo obviously. Booking.com doesn't have much on it.

My questions are; is it too early to find and book flights and hotels? When can we expect to see things become more widely available and when are people planning too book flights and hotels?

Also, does anyone know of any other sites/forums where I find some info on organising a RWC19 trip?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully, I'll get fully involved in this thread in the future and share what I know :)

The best option is probably a return via Heathrow to Haneda, Tokyo.
Tokyo Narita is on the wrong side of Tokyo.
Most airline flights are only available 330 days before departure.
The flights I need are available now and I'm going to make a stopover in Seoul, South Korea.

I must correct you as 2 of your games are at the Tokyo Stadium!

Sunday, September 29, 2019 Australia v Wales Tokyo Stadium, Tokyo
Saturday, October 5, 2019 England v Argentina Tokyo Stadium, Tokyo

Use www.booking.com or www.hotels.com and change the dates of your accommodation to August to see what becomes available.
Having found accommodation check the website of the hotel.
I'm not sure that using a Japanese Rail Pass will be worth it for you as your journeys will be too short to make savings.

As regarding other forums I'm only aware of one other

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i13720-k10880444-World_Cup_2019-Rugby_World_Cup.html

but it seems I was the only one using it!

Thanks, that's useful. Seems we need to wait a bit for flights.

As I understand it Tokyo Stadium and Ajinomoto Stadium are the same place....... Chōfu being part of Tokyo

Flight wise I'm out of Heathrow in to Narita on Iberia with an overnight in Madrid on way out and way back.

457k4ahlb7u11.png

@Tigs Man which one is your waifu

Whatup bros. I missed the original application period for tickets. Does anyone have any idea how hard it will be to get tickets in the current ballot?

Also, any tips for getting tickets? Applying using different family members names?

Whatup bros. I missed the original application period for tickets. Does anyone have any idea how hard it will be to get tickets in the current ballot?

Also, any tips for getting tickets? Applying using different family members names?

I imagine it will be really hard to get ballot tickets.

Use MasterCard for double the chances.

I still got a RWC final ticket last time round the week before the game and that was from the official RWC site. So always check the site for availability and it depends what your budget is. Having said that I did pay £505 for my ticket. I thought sod it as I had some tax rebate to spend and I knew I would live to regret it if I didn't go. I didn't as it was the best final so far.

Still last time round was a special case as had any of the home nations sides got to the final then no chance I would have got that ticket. Plus I was only 2 hour train ride from Twickenham. This time Japan is a long way to go unless you've got flights booked there and have a place to stay next year.

There'll be plenty of chances for tickets. In 2015 I only got 2 QF tickets. But ended up going to all the England Twickenham games, 1 semi and the final as well as a few others in various releases up until the day itself.

We made 5 applications for 5 matches each. We were all successful in getting at least some tickets but picked the best application and payed for them. The applications we didn't need weren't payed for and the tickets went back into the ballot.

There was option to be flexible with the ticket band you were applying for which increased your chances.

I managed to get an RWC 2007 final ticket for England v South Africa, standing outside a corporate tent in Saint-Denis. Wearing a beret and waving a baguette, I managed to catch the eye of an Australian banker who sold me a ticket for cost price.
Cost price was €341,- but it did include taxes!
He did tell me that if anyone asked, I was to say we swapped seats and he was now sat with his girlfriend.
It was only when I arrived at my seat that I realised what he had meant. My seat was in the middle of about 12RWC 2007 TICKET.jpg 0 Aussies who were all wearing their green and gold Commonwealth Bank of Australia rain jackets. Sore thumb comes to mind.

Last time round got a bunch of us to agree which matches to apply for and split them between us. Ended up with tickets for Australia v Wales, France v NZ, SA v NZ semi.

Javier Bardem was sad about 15 rows behind me during the final. Didn't know he was such a big rugby fan.

Interesting article in The Telegraph today
see attached

Attachments

• Japan Rugby World Cup guide – how to get tickets and the best cities to visit.pdf
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 12
Hi All,

Been following this thread for a little while as it seems to be one of the few of it's kind on the web that offers some useful info!

My fianceé and I will be going on honeymoon for 3 weeks in Japan next October (I'm Welsh, she's English... we may come back divorced if we're paired against each other in the quarter finals ;-) . We'll be there for the latter stages of the group's and the quarter finals. We are going to attend the following games as the locations tie in with our travel itinerary around Japan:

England vs France (tickets not yet acquired).
Japan vs Scotland (tickets not yet acquired).
Both quarter final matches in Oita ( tickets secured in initial ballot process).

Hoping to get the outstanding tickets from the ballot results later this month, or more likely in the general sales next year, as we had good success with that for the last world cup.

Flights - our travel dates will be October 6th outbound and returning on the 29th. Holding off a bit to see the full range of availability from all airlines, but some decent deals appearing already from Heathrow with Air China, Asiana Airlines and Lufthansa all around the £600-750 mark. Will have our flights booked up by end of November.

My main question for others here is how on earth do you find anywhere to stay in Oita?! All hotels apparently sold out for the quarter final weekend of the 19th and 20th October, and nothing coming up in nearby towns such as Beppu either. Is it most likely that it is simply too soon to book these dates, or is it likely that all hotels have been booked out already by travel tour companies, etc.?!

I've heard that Oita is proving tricky, not got that venue myself so don't know any details. Hopefully someone will be along who has.

The saving grace is that the games are 1615 KO which means although less convinient you could go further afield, looking at Fukuoka you can get back there leaving up till 9pm (albeit takes nearly 3 hours).

I think Oita is this years cardiff.

I've heard that Oita is proving tricky, not got that venue myself so don't know any details. Hopefully someone will be along who has.

The saving grace is that the games are 1615 KO which means although less convinient you could go further afield, looking at Fukuoka you can get back there leaving up till 9pm (albeit takes nearly 3 hours).

I think Oita is this years cardiff.

That is true. Thanks to the afternoon kick offs it won't be too exhausting to travel from further afield, albeit slightly inconvenient. Have been looking at Kitakyushu to stay at, which is Wales' team base (I wont tell the mrs that...). It's about 1 hour 20 mins on the train but still, slim pickings on hotels at the moment.

Hi Cymro,

Oita is very limited as far as hotels go.
Fukuoka would be the best option but remember that all those other fans attending the quarter finals have got the same problem. So the trains are going to be packed.
I agree with the comment "this years Cardiff" from David.
I remember hearing from friends who were queued at Newport and full trains going through and not stopping.

2 sites to check with

www.hyperdia.com

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Kumamoto/Ōita

Hi All,

An update from me as I've booked my flights.
I'm flying out Saturday 21st September and returning Friday 4th October.

Amsterdam to Seoul (with a 3-day stopover)
Seoul to Nagoya
Fukuoka to Seoul
Seoul to Amsterdam

The flights cost me an equivalent 770 GBP

Latest posts