• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June Internationals: New Zealand v France, First Test (08/06/13)

Here's what I saw - the French from the beginning seemed to have more possession of the ball overall (I really don't know possession stats for this game, it's just the way it seemed to me), but the few times they allowed the ABs to get their hands on the ball the ABs capitalized. But for the rest of the game the ABs seemed flat for the most part, and the French just unable to make the best of what they had (saw a bit of sloppy play on both sides, so I can't say that was solely a French problem).

das
Both possession and territory were in favor of NZ from the beginning (at least in the TV stats it showed that way), though it was always close.

It is down to the players and coaches who have decided that the scrum is a good way to get a penalty so everything is geared to that end.....there is no reason why, if they wanted, the players could not rectify the situation themselves by binding properly, not trying to go too early to "get the hit", staying on their feet instead of diving and it almost impossible for a ref to monitor. Consequently, like today, they go with the side appearing to have the "momentum" as a guess!

Ah, interesting insight!

I'm going to mull this over and decide if it's a good thing, or a bad thing. I've often been asked (by non-rugby fans) the purpose of the scrum. I just give the generic answer - it's to restart the game after an infringement. However, now I see there's a a bit of strategy involved as well. Sneaky devils.

das

:p

I wasn't being serious. Nor did I mean to get rid of scrums completely, for all games, forever - just when they're getting ridiculous in a given match. I'm not sold on any idea - jut the one that gets it right most of the time.

Probably this. But in the event this happens; surely there's a way to avoid or work around it?

Perhaps when they're getting ridiculous a ref could call for uncontested scrums until the lads settle down a bit.

Both possession and territory were in favor of NZ from the beginning (at least in the TV stats it showed that way), though it was always close.

It didn't seem that way to me, perhaps because when the kiwis had the ball they were just so flat, with just two or three bursts of brilliance the entire match.

das

Perhaps when they're getting ridiculous a ref could call for uncontested scrums until the lads settle down a bit.

Then that gives it to the weaker scrum who would be more interested in negating the stronger scrum's power!!

Only really way to make it work is to fold the scrums in line by line (front rows, second rows, their row) and then put the ball in straight so that the scrum becomes balanced well prior to put in!

This way the ref has time to see the binding on the front line before any real power is exerted and the hit becomes meaningless....it comes down to skill and power to win the scrum, they would be fairer and less chance of collapse!!

Then that gives it to the weaker scrum who would be more interested in negating the stronger scrum's power!!

Only really way to make it work is to fold the scrums in line by line (front rows, second rows, their row) and then put the ball in straight so that the scrum becomes balanced well prior to put in!

This way the ref has time to see the binding on the front line before any real power is exerted and the hit becomes meaningless....it comes down to skill and power to win the scrum, they would be fairer and less chance of collapse!!

Have you ever considered becoming a ref...or at least sitting on the IRB. :)

I do want to see the scrum situation (or as the commentator from SA says, "sitche-ation") straightened out. I think they're working on it and it has improved...until this game. lol.

And on THAT note, I am going to bed! (AND taking the phone off the hook so no one calls me at freakin' 7:30 in the morning!)

I just want to thank EVERYone here tonight/this morning for a great time! It was great having a chance to watch the game live with fellow fans, something I rarely get to do being here in the States. Loved the serious discussion, and LOVED the snark! Have a great one, guys, and thanks again!

das

hey just saw the Canal + recap of the match....at around the 60th minute, Picamoles mishandled the game-tier/game-winner !!!!! Play was perfect, AB totally beaten, and he mishandles the baaaaaaall !!! DID YOU SEE THAT ?!! :cryy: :cryy:

France back line was not impresive and it is down to half-back pair. Machenaud is clearly not up to international level. It's shame that Parra is injured. However, Dussain was much better than Machenaud who was slow to pass ball to fly-half and was without any imagination around the ruck. I'd rather have Michalak as scrum-half on bench and Dussain starting. Lopez showed some talent, however, Fofana was almost invisible and had a couple breaks which he created by himself. Fritz was really good today. Also, Hughet and that 14 winger who individually played brilliantly.

I still think that everything is down to PSA who is zero as a coach. He can't make team click and only some players stood out individually. France now probably has one of the most pathetic scrum. Wrong half-back combination and no creative in back division, it is up to each player individually to create something from nothing.

Wow, rusty performance from the abs, I actually expected more from them, even though it was the first test of the year. I dont know about the offensive game plan this year, but they just seem to be shoveling the ball wide all the time, with no one running straight.

Lets hope for an improvement in game two.

Wow, rusty performance from the abs, I actually expected more from them, even though it was the first test of the year. I dont know about the offensive game plan this year, but they just seem to be shoveling the ball wide all the time, with no one running straight.

Lets hope for an improvement in game two.

well NZ's second try was beautiful. The last pass was almost impossible to see and make, nice finish...beautiful structure. Nonu of course with the initial break...

But I'm hopeful for the rest of the series. 23-13 is rather good than bad news for France, not that we should settle for a loss, but where we're coming from....I say +1.
And plus, we've got some reinforcements coming in for tests 2 and 3. :) we'll see what that translates into.

I think there are a number of things that I agree/disagee with you on....

- never rated Machenaud as an International and Dussain would be my back up to Parra (although Yach is not over the hill),
- Lopez did very well for his first game from a background of playing at Bordeaux and will become a much better player now he has moved to USAP (but what is wrong with Trin Duch, PSA?),
-Fofana did alright in a back line that had no structure (although he did not create the break that saw him running - that was Fritz and Nonu (who fell over and left the space)),
- Huget has grown into the 15 position and did well (other than when he was clearly concussed) - and he is the only thing that PSA has done right since becoming coach,
- Plante at 14 had a very good game, and
- finally the scrum is not as pathetic as it was made to look today!

I would not have Michalak (far too much of a maverick for International rugby) on the field in either 9 or 10 but, with PSA's love affair with him, I guess he is less dangerous at 9 than 10.............

Someone mentioned there are other players en route (following Top 14 final?) and wondered who is travelling and when they will be ready to play?

I would not have Michalak (far too much of a maverick for International rugby) on the field in either 9 or 10 but, with PSA's love affair with him, I guess he is less dangerous at 9 than 10.............
In rugby, your 9 is your main decision-maker. They decide the pace of the game, plus when to go wide, and which side to hit. It takes a lot of natural instinct to be able to play it well. But Michalak looked lazy to me. Not in getting around the field, but he seemed not to put much consideration into what he should do next as a 9. He sent a guy down the blindside at the wrong time, went wide too quickly and generally put the rest of his team under tremendous pressure. Lopez looked great. If I were PSA, I'd have just left Lopez on to finish the game.

right, good points. The scrum will be just fine next time out, no doubt about it. And yes, Huget is actually...an intn'l level FB now, confirmed, and reconfirmed ! And yes, I suppose good vision from PSA on this one, took a chance...

Michalak from what I've seen gave some really good passes (from 60th min and forth). He seems to be breaking out of his abyssal form it may seem...

And well Bastareaud's going to make a difference next test. Kayser I believe should return to the scroom. Then I think Marc Andreu comes on over at the wing, perhaps as replacement, from Castres. And I can't remember if PSA took Forestier from the Castres scrum with him there...and weren't Remy Tales, Claassen and Dulin in discussion for this tour ?? That's all I've got Tony Manx. And Palisson's injured, dunno if he's ruled out entirely of the tour...

Hahaha that guy ranger knocked out is just like a headless chook on the field now! LOL.

funny from a couple of guys who probably are afraid of contact

Whether they are or not doesn't change the fact the fullback got laid out by Ranger.

Whether they are or not doesn't change the fact the fullback got laid out by Ranger.......

.....because the full back put his head in the wrong position and hit Ranger's knee as opposed to some sort of hard man that pretty heartless people are implying.....

.....because the full back put his head in the wrong position and hit Ranger's knee as opposed to some sort of hard man that pretty heartless people are implying.....

dude, just....don't. It's amazing enough ppl take pride in this somehow, just, remain a spectator and read the stuff they come up with. Thou shall not reply !

The French has what it takes to win the next 2 tests. Needless to say I think we all know that.

I'm seriously hoping the French win the second game for the sake of a good test series. It's already shaping to be a good series (I found this first test quite boring IMO) but it'll be even better if the French win game 2, hell they deserve a win after their last 2 encounters with the Blacks.

VIVE LA FRANCE!

Loved to see those scrums. "All Blacks don't have a genuinely strong scrum like the 6 Nations teams" lololololol. Always reinforces exactly what I think of Crockett - he's a fantastic scrummager. Overall game was pretty enjoyable. Nonu goes streight from being crap to being very good. A lot of layers really shone. I think Ben Smith is much better at fullback than the wing - even when he made that awesome break he did it from a fullback position. Should probably replace Dagg.

Hahaha that guy ranger knocked out is just like a headless chook on the field now! LOL.

funny from a couple of guys who probably are afraid of contact
Congrats on the generalisation. How's that working out for you?

dude, just....don't. It's amazing enough ppl take pride in this somehow, just, remain a spectator and read the stuff they come up with. Thou shall not reply !
You guys need to calm down alright?

It was a spectacular hit. I watch the NFL - where violent hits are more common than French supporters hating on me :)p) - and everytime it's a serious hit; regardless of who my team is playing; I hope that person is ok. If it's just a run of the mill huge hit like the Ranger one; and the guy plays on - then celebrate it.

I don't know where you fellas are coming from honestly. I bet this post is to be taken as a post from the devil... Jesus some of you guys...

Chill. Pill. :rolleyes:

EDIT:
Look, I openly ask the mods to moderate any of my posts from here on out; heck tell me now if there;'s anything inherently wrong with what I have said which has caused several panties to be twisted.

And to Manx and yoe - point out what I said was wrong/caused you guys so much "grief"?

A big hit was made. Wake me up when these things aren't celebrated (providing the players are ultimately fine) in pro sports.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the celebration of the hit that people don't like, but the mocking of an injured player (I'm not saying you were doing that - I've got terrible Internet signal at work so I can't load any of the pages of this thread apart from the last one :lol:)
I remember a couple of seasons ago Dave Seymour clashed heads with someone at a ruck and got knocked out, when he woke up he was heavily concussed and kept trying to stand up and falling over and Tigers fans were laughing/jeering at it - left a very sour taste in the mouth.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts