[June Tests 2018: 2nd Test] South Africa vs. England (16/06/2018)

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by TRF_heineken, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Big_Grumper

Big_Grumper Academy Player

Country Flag:

Great Britain

Club or Nation:

Gloucester

^^^^
    This.

I think there is more going on psychologically than first thought. Taking the gruesome twosome (Maro & Mako) as an example. They’ve been thrust into the limelight on the back of decent club form - form where their club has dominated. They’ve enjoyed almost instant success and been lauded as some of the best in their respective positions. A long international winning streak has followed, together with a injury or two and a relative dip in club form. Now their individual form has suffered and all they’ve got is frustration, EJ’s harsh training methods and the weight of expectation on their shoulders. Combine that with the debate as to whether they’re “undroppable” and you end up with a ‘headfuck’.

My point is that sports psychology plays a massive part these days. M&M are still young guys and perhaps they’d benefit from a visit to the head doctor as much as a kick up the arse.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Big_Grumper

Country Flag:

Great Britain

Club or Nation:

Gloucester

^^^^
    This.

I think there is more going on psychologically than first thought. Taking the gruesome twosome (Maro & Mako) as an example they’ve been thrust into the limelight on the back of decent club form - form where their club has dominated. They’ve enjoyed almost instant success and been lauded as some of the best in their respective positions. A long international winning streak has followed, together with a injury or two and a relative dip in club form. Now their individual form has suffered and all they’ve got is frustration, EJ’s harsh training methods and the weight of expectation on their shoulders. Combine that with the debate as to whether they’re “undroppable” and you end up with a ‘headfuck’.

My point is that sports psychology plays a massive part these days. M&M are still young guys and perhaps they’d benefit from a visit to the head doctor as much as a kick up the arse.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nudger

Nudger Academy Player

Farrel isn't a centre

5. Nudger

Nudger Academy Player

And he can tackle

6. Nudger

Nudger Academy Player

Mako and geneg on the plane home

7. Old Hooker

Old Hooker First XV

Country Flag:

England

Mako’s not “young” in rugby terms, he’s 27 with 50 caps.

I think what those 2, and others, need is a rest and some good man management. They get little of the former and my guess is probably not too much of the latter.

For anyone with confidence in Project Eddie it could be time to open your wallet. I’ve seen us at 8/1. We were 7/2 when the draw was made.

8. Big_Grumper

Country Flag:

Great Britain

Club or Nation:

Gloucester

Fair point. Perhaps I ought to have said “immature”.

• Like Like x 1
  9. All Black

All Black Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

Geez I thought England was a force. Not so long ago they were beating everybody and was even calling us out!

It looks like the Boks are back. The old rivalry might be back on this year between the Boks and us.

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotty507

scotty507 First XV

Club or Nation:

Exeter

So obviously a fail and to be 12 - 0 up and not score again is disappointing. Not sure if its a lack of leadership, aggression or accuracy but something needs to change. I think next week dont need wholesale changes just tweeks but then bench needs to be properly balanced, no hughes and still no robshaw. 19 20. Iseikwe Simmonds. Watched ghe game in a busy pub so didnt really get to analyse how players got on.

How are we rating daly at FB? Is he holding up and looking a real option?

Is billy back to his best?

Do we need to start iseikwe amd but itoje to the bench for an impact and because of penalty count?

I want LCD and williams starting next week, george and sinkler make so much bettet impact players.

11. noah_jo

noah_jo First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Harlequins

No
    No
    Yes
    Yes

12. FLOBALOB

FLOBALOB Academy Player

Country Flag:

Antilles

Club or Nation:

Cornish Priates

Where are England 8/1 ? Biggest i can find is 13/2.
    I'd want at least 12s before even considering it.

13. saulan

saulan Bench Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

Marler and Brown clash with fans after loss:
    https://m.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Sprin...at-marred-by-post-test-row-with-fans-20180617

Somethings definitely not right with the attitude of the English players. Farrell was doing a lot of complaining to the ref during the game, which is fine to an extent as the captain, but trying to do a sneaky conversion on a non-try when it's being referred to TMO and arguing no you can't do that I've taken the kick, shouting you said play on when a penalty for offside is blown (play on being called after the player has done the wrong thing then being picked up by assistants) and also the irony of him saying we are trying to have a game of rugby here when a scuffle breaks out when it was shortly preceded by the ball being thrown at Vermuelens head and the hand in face of PSDT. Not really setting the best example for the rest of the team.

Then you have the interview situation, I get it, you are upset you lost, but it's part of international rugby these days to have post match interviews, it reflects poorly on the team. And then finally this incident with the fans (I'm interested in whether it's SA fans or English fans). I'm not condoning the actions of the fans because I am sure they are the ones that instigated this with some sort of comment from the crowd, but as an international you should be able to ignore it and walk off and not engage the idiots in the stands. Looks at the form of abuse the football players in England face every time they give a throw in or corner at a rivals ground. They block it out and get on with things.

I think the English team needs a mental coach or sports psychologist in their employment to work on that (worked for SA the last time we won a World Cup I think). If you have one, fire them and get a new one.

Anyway, sorry to have missed all the banter last night. Turned on to the game at 4:55pm and then got load shed at exactly 5pm, so had to watch the game on my phone, limiting my ability to message here. (Load shedding, to those who don't have third world problems, is when power is cut in certain areas to manage the demand for our sometimes constrained electricity supply)

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  14. scotty507

scotty507 First XV

Club or Nation:

Exeter

To what extent is daly not holding up? Would be unsure about watson may and daly as back 3? Deffinatly very attacking back 3 if we get the ball to them.

15. noah_jo

noah_jo First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Harlequins

I think we should persist with it, but one game doesn't prove he is international class there. Still reserving genuine judgement

16. Pom in Exile

Pom in Exile Academy Player

I just wrote an overly long, incoherent and verbose essay on my thoughts about this game, the series, Eddie Jones and the state of English rugby however unfortunately after about 45 minutes of typing my iPad **** itself and reloaded the page, I can only apologise that you've all not got the chance to read my striking analysis filled with biting wit and a detailed roadmap of where England should be heading.
    #lostmasterpiece

17. noah_jo

noah_jo First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Harlequins

At least we're not Scotland

18. Pom in Exile

FWIW, here is my 23 for the final game, forgive my flights of fancy.

Marler
    LCD
    Williams
    Launchbury
    Attwood
    Ewers
    Armand
    Morgan
    Spencer
    Cipriani
    Solomona
    Farrell
    Daly
    May
    Brown

George
    Hepburn
    Sinckler
    Itoje
    Wilson, Curry, Shields, Simmonds (whoever pulls up trees in training this week)
    Youngs
    Loz
    Earle

I'd love to see us compete up front and see Daly given a chance in his best position...it's frankly fubar that he hasn't played there for England yet.

19. Maverick1987

Maverick1987 First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Leicester

Tbh I’m not even sure what’s going on !

I’m not even sure it’s a playing personnel problem....

The only things I’d say is why have we come away from our Starter/Finisher set up that served us so well at the start of Eddies tenure ? and why has our discipline just disappeared ?

That being said I’d make a few changes for next week .....
    I’d go
    1. Marler
    2. George
    3. Williams
    4. Launchbury
    5. Hill
    6. Shields
    7. Curry
    8. Vunipola
    9. Robson or Spencer I’m easy either way
    10. Cipriani
    11. Daly
    12. Farrell
    13. Slade
    14. May
    15. Brown
    16. LCD
    17. Hepburn
    18. Sinkler
    19. Itoje
    20. Simmonds
    21. Mark Wilson
    22. Robson or Spencer
    23. Solomona ? (Not fussed but there isn’t much choice in this squad)

6/2 split on the bench just seems right to me when we are getting so badly stuffed up front .... might keep it a bit fresher

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  20. curtbob7

curtbob7 First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Leicester

I make that 10 of the 23 or close to 23 that would probably make a difference but still on paper we should not be chucking games away like that.

21. Pom in Exile

Binny's broken his arm again.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!