• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June tests: What's the point?

And of the three Connacht players in the Irish squad, one of them was in the 22 for last weekend, so again; what development did that have?

That's a circular argument. You're still yet to explain why Ireland can't try to win these Tests rather than this mystical "developing depth" exercise in futility.

I never said Ireland can't try to win these tests. In fact I was countering a point that stated Ireland's tour should be about winning "all" the tests. In my view Ireland cannot afford to that for a number of reasons:
1) At current time we are suffering from injuries in key positions and have a lack of back up at a quality..... Maybe that's because we haven't developed any squad depth!!
2) The All Blacks are miles ahead of us at the moment mainly because our game plan is rubbish and NZ is superb. What's the point in sending players into all three tests matches in order to win every game and risk injuring them, which could have massive effects on Irish rugby...... Mainly because we have a lack of squad depth!!
3) Everyone must be blooded into the international at some point..... When else are we supposed to do that?
4) I'm not saying we shouldn't try to win but I think it's important to use this tour. By all means go out abd target one test and throw everything at it but even if wen beat the All Blacks, which would be such an achievement, it would still be paper over cracks.... Look at our wins against Australia and England last year, they were great achievements but led to little long term success!
5) The Irish rugby team has focused on the short term for a long time now, and while that seemed good when our arguably best ever players were at their prime, it has resulted in a lack of options and successors in key positions.... And again that's due to a lack of depth
6) By developing depth in these tests our national side will become much better, just look at how much Leinster have improved by increasing their squad capabilities. With the depth that could be started to be developed on this tour, in the future we will be in a far better position to actually beat the AB and possibly achieve even further success!

I hope that explains why Ireland need to use these games to develop players!

When you get to the end of the season in April you have the long haul to september with little or no rugby. The summer tests at least give you something to chew on. Hands up those who can't wait for the Lions tour to come around. Is that not the same thing? In November the SH sides come up here giving us the opportunity to try some stuff before the 6 nations. I know it's a long shot but don't we do the same for them but going on tour?

We voted the game professionl in 1995 (biggest mistake in my view, totally destroyed the character of rugby) which means that money is always going to play a big part of it. Different rant but, professionalism in rugby means you don't see the players in the bar or in the pubs later having a few pints and a puff. In comparative terms we don't pay our players that much. 90% of them will burn out by 32 and will need new careeres so 'make hay while the sun shines' I say.

PS: Can't get to the games at Murryfield any more (live in Norfolk) so selling my class A debentures (expire 2045).
South stand S11 seats T11 and T12. £600 each to genuine fans only please (get ready for 10 questions on Scottish rugby to prove ur a fan).

This has descended into an Irish thread... where have I seen that before :rolleyes:.

The problem with the June Tests is the lack of consistency. We have a setup now where teams travel to play series (England in SA, Wales in Australia and Ireland in NZ) but next year it will be different again. If they want to go with the Series-setup, they should stick with it. Example:

June:
South Africa - England
Australia - Wales
New Zealand - Ireland
Argentina - France

November:
Wales - South Africa
Ireland - Australia
France - New Zealand
England - Argentina

The year afterwards play other teams. Not sure how to fit in Scotland and Italy yet, but the IRB should be able to figure something out. That way, it stays interesting for all teams and you don't play each other year after year.

Elitest rugby is not a way forward. The whole point of the tests is to allow the opposite hemisphere to warm their international sides up and try a few things out. It also allows the minnows of world rugby the chance to play bigger teams and bench mark themselves.... and...gives refs and players experiance of how the other side views the rules on rugby union, especially around the breakdown. So, personally, if anything, I would have the teams tour for longer and play more teams, very much in the Lions style.

P.S Can' get to the games at Murryfield any more (live in Norfolk) so selling my class A debentures (expire 2045).
South stand S11 seats T11 and T12. £600 each to genuine fans only please (get ready for 10 questions on Scottish rugby to prove ur a fan). They are worth about £850 each. They cost £1200 each new in 1995.

Latest posts