• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kapa O Pango scrapped?

S

sanzar

Hey to all the kiwi's in the know on this forum. What's the story with Kapa O Pango? Someone recently told me they wouldn't perform it anymore because of how upset the british got when they performed it in front of them... is this true?

I'd heard the whole point of the new haka is that apparently the translation of the Ka Mate is offensive to the South Island Tribe of Maori, so they combined a new one to keep them happy along with a fresh new one 'from the ABs themselves'.

Hence it is only to be done at South Island tests and major games eg finals etc...

Only what I've heard, could be wrong :)

Thank God it's gone because the proper Haka is way better than Kapa O Pango

You people seriously don't expect us to use it against a pack of Drunken Leprechauns and the Argies?

And to one of them drunken Leprechauns above, Kapa O Pango is better then Ka Mate.

Havn't heard of it being scrapped... think the AB's will continue to use only on big occasions to fire everyone up.

iv always prefered the older one myself
it has a certain more powerfu and emotional feel to it

i thought i read it had been scrapped as well

heres a vid of it just incase some don't know what it is Kapa O Pango

but i can't find anything, they just want the throat slittng gesture banned.

sure ka mate is entrenched in nz rugby tradition, but i feel it doesnt represent the all blacks as well as kapa o pango

take a look at the words of ka mate

Ka Mate! Ka Mate!
Ka Ora! Ka Ora!
Tenei te ta ngata puhuru huru
Nana nei i tiki mai

Whakawhiti te ra
A upane ka upane!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
Hi!!

English Translation:
It is death! It is death!
It is life! It is life!
This is the hairy person
Who caused the sun to shine
Keep abreast! Keep abreast
The rank! Hold fast!
Into the sun that shines!

now kapa o pango

Kapa o pango kia whakawhenua au i ahau!
Let me become one with the land
Hi aue, hi!
Ko Aotearoa e ngunguru nei!
This is our land that rumbles
Au, au, aue ha!
And it's my time! It's my moment!
Ko Kapa o Pango e ngunguru nei!
This defines us as the All Blacks
Au, au, aue ha!
It's my time! It's my moment!
I ahaha!
Ka tu te ihiihi
Our dominance
Ka tu te wanawana
Our supremacy will triumph
Ki runga ki te rangi e tu iho nei,
tu iho nei, hi!
And will be placed on high
Ponga ra!
Silver fern!
Kapa o Pango, aue hi!
All Blacks!
Ponga ra!
Silver fern!
Kapa o Pango, aue hi, ha!
All Blacks!

i feel that kapa o pango is a much more fierce and more relevent haka than one about some dude hiding out in a pit scared of the hairy man

Do you think? I don't think the Kiwi's will use it unless the Bled goes to a decider to be honest...

there was a bit of contraversy in SA last year because of the whole murder gesture so we may see it in Oz

yeah I am with sanzar on this one. will proabbly only come out for the bled decider. that would be considered a big/special occasion and imo an approaite occasion

I have heard they haven't been performing it due to some countriesfinding it offensivewith some of there actions eg the throat slitting action they do.

Yeah its just the throat sliting gesture that offends people but syaing that there is awy more violence on t.v. so why the big deal?

Originally posted by I cant think of a username@Jun 30 2006, 09:06 AM
Thank God it's gone because the proper Haka is way better than Kapa O Pango
Sorry guys, but I just couldn't let this go....

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 'PROPER' HAKA, THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF DIFFERENT HAKAS, WITH DIFFERENT MEANINGS, PERFORMED FOR DIFFERENT OCCASSIONS. KAPA O PANGO IS THE HAKA MADE FOR THE ALL BLACKS, JUST LIKE DIFFERENT SCHOOLS AND IWIS HAVE DIFFERENT HAKAS. IF ANYTHING, KAPA O PANGO IS THE PROPER HAKA AS IT IS DESIGNED FOR THE ALL BLACKS AND NOT A UNIVERSAL 'WHATEVER' HAKA LIKE KA MATE.

!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

Originally posted by sanzar@Jul 9 2006, 02:32 AM
Seeing as the HAKA talk is likely to continue after the Handbag commercial and NZ opting for Kapa O Pango last night, would anyone care to explain this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBCpPGNDr1U&search=nz%20haka
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA lol HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA