Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Nicolaas

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
I KNOW IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, but dont u guys think it would be more fair when the people of a nation or the rugby public vote for the players they want to see in a squad? i mean, now there are a few selectors who choose the players and the rest of the country must just be happy with the selection (which is rarely the case). what are your thoughts? just imagine a team without john smit!:bana:

Nope, the general public are stupid, myself included. If they were asked to pick the Ireland Starting 15 Jedward would be in the centres

Nope, the general public are stupid, myself included. If they were asked to pick the Ireland Starting 15 Jedward would be in the centres

ok well then it should be sumthing like everybody who owns a national jersey is allowed to vote, women need special permission :p

Keep it as it is. Too many people in New Zealand just watch highlight reels to have any clue.

Sounds pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
So many reasons why it wouldn't work lol

I think the coach should have the right to select the team, after all they're accountable for producing results.

They should be able to select a team capable of playing style of play they want to coach.
Regardless of what anyone thinks its results that matter at the end of the day, not who got selected.

Last edited:
People are stupid. It would effectively be the media selecting the team. All they need to do is focus on the highlights of one dude, run articles with lines such as "experienced coaches agree that (insert reporters favourite player here) is the most talented prospect etc.." and before long everyone starts beleiving they are gods gift.

That and we would probably end up with a team of wingers and no forwards.
"Kaino is just big, but Nonu is big AND fast, why dont we just put him at flanker, why has no one ever thought of this!?"- Beleive it or not i actually heard someone say this once.

Even suggesting that "the people" should select a national side is crazy. 99% of the public knows dick all about rugby.

Democracy is fair but cumbersome and stupid. Apply it to say the Springboks (or any sport team) and you'll probably get a lack of combinations, players who don't necessarily fit a specific gameplan, flavor(s) of the month and players who look flashy on highlights but don't necessarily have the workrate or shirk the 'donkey' work. You'd very easily end up with a team of 15 iconic players and no real grunt and/or dynamic.

PS; 66% of SA vote for the ANC....

I think it's a great idea. Buck Shelford would be back on the field in an instant! :D

This is the most ridiculous idea ever. We only see a small portion of the player when they play. Coaches have access to them during training and know their skills more than anyone.

This is straight up nuts.

I mentioned in another thread, about loyalty, that these national teams need to run like businesses. Players are employees, nothing more nothing less.

I also agree with the other posts.....the public are idiots........plain and simple

Stupid idea.

Particularly for England as the Irish/Scots/Ozzies/Saffas etc.etc. in our borders would cheerfully vote for playing Shontayne Hape, Mark Cueto and Mike Ti... oh.

That would be a great thing, though. Who wouldn't want to see Jedward crippled in a perfectly legal setting?

Latest posts