• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Life after Eddie …

I just dont get EJ he is obv a good coach, Final in 2003, won as assistant coach in 2007 with SA, guided Japan well to beat SA and got England to a WC final...he must have something up his sleeve as alllllll he wants is to win a RWC at any cost.

Im not saying i want him to stay, im saying i dont understand how its so bad and the master plan theory seems rediculous right now but if he wants it that bad i cant see why he would do what he's done this AI...

Remember that EJ was also coining it in doing consultancy work for Japan while he was England head coach. The man loves a pound note/yen.

Very easily, I'm afraid. Unless there's a specific clause, employment law is tilted heavily in favour of the employee.

(I once had to pay off a [healthcare professional] in my employ. She was incompetent and a danger to patients and I could prove it, but the wrangling dragged on for so long (while she was suspended on full pay) that it was cheaper to agree a no-fault settlement and part with a large chunk of cash.

I imagine it would be even harder to do for someone where performance is judged against an opponent rather than a defined standard. In every 1 v 1 sporting contest, fewer than half the competitors can win, so judging wholly on a win percentage is harsh on the employee.

I can see no reason why they couldn't continue to pay his salary, but put him on gardening leave until the end of his contract (though IANAL.) At least this would make sure that Wales didn't get him for the next few months (and I have no doubt that Jones would revitalise them spectacularly in the short term.)
Well that's not entirely true. I have quite a bit of experience of this in the transport and logistics industry and although it takes time and a bit of work you can quite reasonably dismiss someone on grounds of capability.

Any person in any employed job will have a job script and expectations on what they should be achieving. I am pretty sure Eddie has had a review before (anonymous). Surely if your performance has been independently reviewed then certain targets must have been set and what would be expected for the rest of his contract and if that didn't happen then the RFU have only themselves to blame.

I just dont get EJ he is obv a good coach, Final in 2003, won as assistant coach in 2007 with SA, guided Japan well to beat SA and got England to a WC final...he must have something up his sleeve as alllllll he wants is to win a RWC at any cost.
Is a good coach in certain situations eg short impact turnaround or for a specific one off.

Maybe was a good coach. If he was one of the best in the world in 03 it's a hell of an ask to still have that status 20 years later. Most career peaks don't last anything like that long.

The players have simply heard it all before. 7 years is a long tenure in sports coaching, especially when the core of the team have been around so long. Steward, JVP and Arundell might hang on his every word - George, Itoje, the Vunipolae, May, Lawes, Youngs, even Fazlet etc even if subconsciously just won't. Entirely natural.

His initial appointment was fine and justified. The extension felt rushed - maybe 2 years with option to renew would have been more sensible giving options to both parties and time for a successor to bed in if necessary and removing the, alleged, total RWC focus.

Well that's not entirely true. I have quite a bit of experience of this in the transport and logistics industry and although it takes time and a bit of work you can quite reasonably dismiss someone on grounds of capability.
Yeah, it's the time (while suspended on full pay) and work (expensive legal advice) which make it cheaper to pay 'em off.

I see no reason why the RFU can't put Eddie on gardening leave and wait until his contract expires though.

Phil Dowson on Saints Season ticket forum on Eddie Jones. "Yeah he hung up on me in the Autumn because I laughed at him"

On Alex Coles, Eddie benched him for NZ as he wasn't physical enough against Japan. Then starts him against the most physical side in the world......so yes Eddie makes strange decisions.

Not sure the honesty is going to help EJ. Good on Phil Dowson.

in American sports whenever there is an article about a possible transaction there is almost always significant movement to make it happen. In the world of soccer/rugby I've noticed that they tend to run with someone saying that they would like to do something.

With Eddie staying on as a consultant for the next RWC cycle after bagging a head coach role somewhere else?
Yeah Eddie is staying on to work alongside Gatland in a new role he and the RFU have created for him. My source tells me it's called "Head of fan liaison" to strengthen the ties between the fans and the national team. Really strengthen those bonds, you know. With him and Gats at the helm I see them ushering in a new golden era for England. You lucky boys.

Gats has been doing some digging and has found out that AWJ actually has a English Granny so the plan is to retire him next year and then bring him over to England once the 5 years has passed. Will tie in nicely with the lions tour as well.
AWJ refused to accept that and donned blue face paint and a kilt to lead an uprising against the English (because the Welsh don't have an iconic uprising from movies to follow).

We English don't do uprisings either. We fix people with hard stares like Paddington bear. Then mutter about it being "just not cricket".