• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Life after Eddie …

Sounds like Gatland is replacing Pivac for Wales, which is excellent news for England.
WOL saying he's been offered a director of rugby role after the WC. Look, I'm not bowled over by Gats even on a short term deal but if you appoint Borthwick giving us an opportunity to get Robertson next year I'll take it.

Oh my days, they're saying it's a 2 year deal with a break after one year if we don't get out the group. Urgh.

Still, I'll take it over Pivac. Not ideal though.

Oh my days, they're saying it's a 2 year deal with a break after one year if we don't get out the group. Urgh.

Still, I'll take it over Pivac. Not ideal though.
I reckon Gatland will be better for you than he would have been for us. 'Better' is a relative term, though, like 'best looking bloke in the burns unit.' I had worried that you might hang on for Jones, who would be the ultimate short-term signing.

Also, Gatland without Edwards will be interesting to see.

I'm still hoping we stick Jones on gardening leave and get Robertson, but I bet we don't. If ever there was an opportunity to do something uninspiring, the RFU will seize it.

I reckon Gatland will be better for you than he would have been for us. 'Better' is a relative term, though, like 'best looking bloke in the burns unit.' I had worried that you might hang on for Jones, who would be the ultimate short-term signing.

Also, Gatland without Edwards will be interesting to see.

I'm still hoping we stick Jones on gardening leave and get Robertson, but I bet we don't. If ever there was an opportunity to do something uninspiring, the RFU will seize it.
Agree with all of that though I obviously hope you don't get Robertson. I'm kinda semi hoping we're keeping Ronertson on the back burner as his contract run til 2024 but I doubt it. The WRU have got their man. Short term fix. To be fair we will see a turnaround just not a massive one. And he'll get us out the group. I'd actually be happy for him to move into a DoR role as long as we got Robertson in. I think the RFU be mad to pass on Robertson.

i cant see that happening at all...however in the crazy world that it did.

Is Pivac actually a bad coach? Maybe with a different player pool he could be better...

It's possible but seems a premature announcement considering the RFU review is today the article that Stuff are quoting, from the Sydney morning herald, came out during the middle of last night in UK time

I haven't read through the latest updates on here, but I did see a rumor out there that USA Rugby were considering giving EJ a massive contract for after the RWC? Any truth to this?

I saw that rumour too - tbh it would suit him, he did a good job bringing Japan up several levels,
Tier 2 side or Japan (either something like DoR of the national side or taking over a top league side) are my guesses

I think it would be incredibly wise for USA Rugby to throw whatever money they needed to at EJ to get him for several years; after their latest debacle in not qualifying, despite having a domestic league of several years/an increased player base, they are still behind many similar nations. USA Rugby need whatever magic they can get from EJ (especially from what he did with Japan), as the USA hosting the RWC isn't that far off into the future, so a respectable showing there will be a must

I think it would be incredibly wise for USA Rugby to throw whatever money they needed to at EJ to get him for several years; after their latest debacle in not qualifying, despite having a domestic league of several years/an increased player base, they are still behind many similar nations. USA Rugby need whatever magic they can get from EJ (especially from what he did with Japan), as the USA hosting the RWC isn't that far off into the future, so a respectable showing there will be a must
I don't doubt Jones could do a job there and his workaholic mentality may fit better with the US psyche (not really sure what American attitudes towards sportsmen are over there?) It's whether he can translate his proven short term track record into unproven longer term success. Every team he's been with for more than 4 years has seen their form slump pretty badly.

Eddie can't emotionally handle dealing with 50 world class players in the English squad. He won't be able to handle having to coach semi-professionals. All of our peers in the rugby world (Japan is not our peer) are having success with coaches familiar with the area and not World Rugby retreads.

Apparently the review started at 2pm,
Wonder what time the leaks and/or speculation will ramp up

Eddie can't emotionally handle dealing with 50 world class players in the English squad. He won't be able to handle having to coach semi-professionals. All of our peers in the rugby world (Japan is not our peer) are having success with coaches familiar with the area and not World Rugby retreads.
Surely there's some NFL rejects Eddie can get his hands on to mould into decent players?

Latest posts