• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Life after Eddie …

I think IF Borthwick does get the job i think they will give it until the WC then after either he goes back to Tigers (may be the deal they make for Tigers releasing him) and we get Robertson with the view of both taking over after 4 years as head coach or joining the coaching set up 2 years into the cycle.

All speculation ofcourse. Good coach who will get the basics right up to the WC then a more experienced coach to take us forward. Although bothwich has had international experience with Japan and England so he's not that green.

Goodness me, Richard Cockerill as interim coach - the forwards have been utterly useless under him this autumn.

We need a coach with some ambition, a play style of fluency and who understands speed of breakdown as imperative to success.

The coaching staff turnover has been worrying and I would not be against bringing back the likes of Borthwick (forwards) John Mitchell (defence) et al on a deal until the World Cup. although this may be impossible now with their own situations.

Could we lure Shaun Edwards or Andy Farrell post RWC? And the answer to which might then give us the answer that an interim coach could be needed for the RWC?

Could we lure Shaun Edwards or Andy Farrell post RWC? And the answer to which might then give us the answer that an interim coach could be needed for the RWC?
I do wonder if we've had any dialogue with AF and that's why the IRFU renewed his contract early - so that if we do formally approach him post-RWC we have to buy him out and they're quids in

Question is what if cockers wins the 6N's if he is in that long?
We don't win the 6 nations. Starts up with a Calcutta Cup and end with France at home and Ireland away.

Ireland and France are in too good a shape for us to really think about beating them. I'll settle for a solid 2nd or 3rd with us winning the first three games.

Cockers and then Borthwick. Yay Leicester tigers. Ben Youngs eyeing up 150 caps. This is going to be painful. Borthwick is going to be Eddie 2.0. George Ford looks in with a good shout at making a come back. We are going to kick the leather off of it if Tigers are anything to go by. At least give Sam Vesty an attack coach job and stop me moaning about Tigers.........

Last edited:
Firstly big call by the RFU. Let's face it they couldn't manage a **** up in a brewery. 20:20 Hindsight but Jones shouldn't have gone after 2019, it's hard to have a sucession plan in a fluid environment such as coaches being employed by other parties and signing into contracts.

Like most I have reservation over Borthwick if it is him. If you're looking at English coaches with a good domestic record you'd have thought Rob Baxter would have been in the conversation.

I think anyone will get a dead cat bounce at present.

Cockers and then Borthwick. Yay Leicester tigers. Ben Youngs eyeing up 150 caps. This is going to be painful. Borthwick is going to be Eddie 2.0. George Ford looks in with a good shout at making a come back. We are going to kick the leather off of it if Tigers are anything to go by.
Finally, some actual good news.

Hell, I'd be happy with GFord as coach!

Cockers and then Borthwick. Yay Leicester tigers. Ben Youngs eyeing up 150 caps. This is going to be painful. Borthwick is going to be Eddie 2.0. George Ford looks in with a good shout at making a come back. We are going to kick the leather off of it if Tigers are anything to go by.
Yeah, can't wait to see
10 Smith
12 Farrell
13 Ford

If two playmakers is probably going to win us the WC, just think how far we could go with 3!

(Hmm, I thought this was an obvious joke, but my blood has just run cold...)

Finally, some actual good news.

Hell, I'd be happy with GFord as coach!
Sale's attack looks much better this season and GF is helping coach the backs while he's injured

I don't understand the insinuation that Ford will simply kick the leather of the ball tbh - if he's kicking the ball it's cause that's the gameplan not because that's all he can do

Long overdue. He had to go after the last 6N at the latest and the fact he didn't might compromise English coaching selection. A failure to beat the ABs, losing to Argentina and somehow repeatedly losing to Scotland is a completely unacceptable combination. I do think many teams would get spanked by the Boks the way they were clicking into gear for the last three EOYTs, so I can't think that should have been the final nail in the coffin.

Cockerill shouldnt be getting a sniff of the 6N. Robertson could be an excellent pick. He knows how to translate a strong pack into suffocating dominance and extract loads or points from a less than stellar set of backs. He has however, never really faced a top quality side with a top level pack (the SA sides he faced were weaker than they are now, except the Lions), so he has always played with a team that holds an advantage. Definitely an upgrade on 2022 vintage EJ though.

There was speculation EJ would be parachuted into the US by World Rugby. I hope for their sake that is baseless as the guy appears to have checked out mentally years ago.

Latest posts