• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Life after Eddie …

Interesting - quite a few high profile players and ex players seemingly confused and blown away EJ was sacked. Haskell was going on about his World Cup record and how it was ridiculous to sack him, similarly with Giteau. But it's not all about the World Cup. Would England fans be happy with only WC success and mediocre performances in between world cups?

Loose enough rumours here but a friend of mines uncle is a higher up in the IRFU. Apparently the RFU were sniffing around Farrell who turned them down. Told him they had him on a shortlist that included Pivac lol.
I heard that one too! Apparently Pivac has some relationship with several RFU high ups

Mercer having a gentle dig at Jones but a clear dig nonetheless. Not going into detail but saying that the Malins episode was not the only story. And stuff like England ought to be at the top of the rankings with the players we have.

Interesting - quite a few high profile players and ex players seemingly confused and blown away EJ was sacked. Haskell was going on about his World Cup record and how it was ridiculous to sack him, similarly with Giteau. But it's not all about the World Cup. Would England fans be happy with only WC success and mediocre performances in between world cups?
I listened to the pod cast and was flabbergasted by how stupid they sounded. Continually banging on about Jones' great master plan etc but if his plan is going to plan it's a rubbish plan.

Genge also said that their goal was to win every tournament which means again Jones' plan is not happening.

I really think post WC he lost the plot but in his mind everything is going to his strange plan and we are only 2% away from smashing every team bla bla bla

Jones pre WC and post WC are completely different animals. There is no need for any team to be rubbish before to win a WC.

Last edited:
No.

I listened to the pod cast and was flabbergasted by how stupid they sounded. Continually banging on about Jones' great master plan etc but if his plan is going to plan it's a rubbish plan.
Just my opinion, but that podcast has never given actual rugby insight.

Haskell and Tindall have too much of the "You've never played the game so know nothing" attitude.

All these Irish fans with friends high up in the English rugby.

Smh your ancestors would be upset
I have actually since heard that Bill Sweeney is going to step down and Pivac is going to be head of the RFU, DoR, Head Coach and he might possibly take a consultant role too.

My (admittedly less reliable) source in the Royal family says that they are days away from making Pivac king because far too many people are mistaking Charles for Leo Cullen.

Genge also said that their goal was to win every tournament which means again Jones' plan is not happening.

I really think post WC he lost the plot but in his mind everything is going to his strange plan and we are only 2% away from smashing every team bla bla bla

Jones pre WC and post WC are completely different animals. There is no need for any team to be rubbish before to win a WC.
Ah yes the great Eddie masterplan to play so crap everyone is lured into false sense of security and come the world cup BANG! We thrash everyone including France and Ireland who foolishly tried the "win games and bred confidence" formula. How foolish.

Haskell will always back Eddie and that's completely understandable but he's not being very objective. Eddie wasn't on his A game and was missing 3 key factors that made his first 3 years such a success: Borthwick, Gustard and Kruis.

That said Clive Woodward is a ******* snake who adds nothing to anything

How long is the contract supposed to be?
I haven't seen it reported yet but it must be long term. Not going to appoint him on some 2 year deal or something (though I guess there could be a 2 year break clause or something but I'd imagine it's a 4/5 year deal)

Long enough to rule them out for Robertson leaving us to swoop in next year/the year after for him just in time to dominate world rugby.

I reckon Robertson will end up with the ABs or Australia after the RWC. I read that the current Chief Exec of Rugby Australia is a close friend of his.

This might seem like an obvious question but why wasn't compensation with Leicester agreed before they sacked Jones? The RFU have much less leverage now surely?
Because sacking Eddie was a knee-jerk reaction to booing at twickers, and press pressure

Because sacking Eddie was a knee-jerk reaction to booing at twickers, and press pressure

Seems very knee jerk from the RFU. It's not like there was another England game at Twickers coming up where fans could boycott or express their frustration. They should just have just stalled for a week or two until compensation had been sorted.

I reckon Robertson will end up with the ABs or Australia after the RWC. I read that the current Chief Exec of Rugby Australia is a close friend of his.
Don't the ABs want him to have international experience though? I guess they could've changed their mind on that. Australia is definitely an option but will they sack Rennie after the WC? Perhaps if they get knocked out of group stage/qtr final perhaps but I think they'll do well.

Don't the ABs want him to have international experience though? I guess they could've changed their mind on that. Australia is definitely an option but will they sack Rennie after the WC? Perhaps if they get knocked out of group stage/qtr final perhaps but I think they'll do well.

Possibly but if he does what Gatland did and ends up being a success overseas for 10+ years then they risk losing him long term. Maybe they should have brought him in to assist at the RWC and then take over after that?

I think Rennie has been a bit underwhelming with Aus tbh. He was starting from a very low base but they haven't exactly set the world alight unless RA are taking a longer term view with him.

Possibly but if he does what Gatland did and ends up being a success overseas for 10+ years then they risk losing him long term. Maybe they should have brought him in to assist at the RWC and then take over after that?

I think Rennie has been a bit underwhelming with Aus tbh. He was starting from a very low base but they haven't exactly set the world alight unless RA are taking a longer term view with him.
I think the Ozzies trajectory has been pretty decent. Even this most recent tour shows they are very competitive even with depleted squads against the 2 best teams in the world away from home with 1 point losses. I know what you're saying but I think a fully loaded Australia is right up there under Rennie. They play some decent stuff too. As I say, though, a lot will depend on how they do in the WC.

Latest posts