• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Life after Eddie …

I think the Ozzies trajectory has been pretty decent. Even this most recent tour shows they are very competitive even with depleted squads against the 2 best teams in the world away from home with 1 point losses. I know what you're saying but I think a fully loaded Australia is right up there under Rennie. They play some decent stuff too. As I say, though, a lot will depend on how they do in the WC.

Maybe I was being a tad harsh on Rennie. They were in a real mess when he took over and were getting pumped regularly in TRC. It was a tough gig and they have a great draw at the RWC and should progress to the QFs at least.

Don't the ABs want him to have international experience though? I guess they could've changed their mind on that. Australia is definitely an option but will they sack Rennie after the WC? Perhaps if they get knocked out of group stage/qtr final perhaps but I think they'll do well.
Actually the abs just want international experience in the coaching group. There was none in Robertson's group when he applied. Compared to foster, who had plumtree, foster himself had experience at test level as An assistant, and I'm pretty sure (because, before fosters group was announced, there were so many reports of a rockstar of world rugby being part of it) Schmidt was always going to join in some capacity at some stage. Plus, yes they probably don't care as much now.

Robertson is likely to be the abs coach imo after the World Cup.

Actually the abs just want international experience in the coaching group. There was none in Robertson's group when he applied. Compared to foster, who had plumtree, foster himself had experience at test level as An assistant, and I'm pretty sure (because, before fosters group was announced, there were so many reports of a rockstar of world rugby being part of it) Schmidt was always going to join in some capacity at some stage. Plus, yes they probably don't care as much now.

Robertson is likely to be the abs coach imo after the World Cup.
Well that sucks. But as long as there's a glimmer of hope I'll believe. Cymru am byth.

What's McBryde's contract situation like? Talk is Gats wants him but I can't see it really.
I'm not sure, at a guess I'd say he's on until the end of the season. Joined in 2019 and Leinster tend to go with rolling two year contracts.

I wouldn't miss him massively to be honest, feel like we've lacked a bit of dawg under him and Sean O'Brien is a natural fit.

I'm not sure, at a guess I'd say he's on until the end of the season. Joined in 2019 and Leinster tend to go with rolling two year contracts.

I wouldn't miss him massively to be honest, feel like we've lacked a bit of dawg under him and Sean O'Brien is a natural fit.
SOB is a pretty boy though. Mcbryde has one of those faces that you'd **** your self if you spilt your pint over him. If you want to run the risk going against that metric then that's on you.

SOB is a pretty boy though. Mcbryde has one of those faces that you'd **** your self if you spilt your pint over him. If you want to run the risk going against that metric then that's on you.
SOH would **** on you if you spilt your pint on him. Levels to the game

Bit of a question around England in 2019 RWC guys- both England fans and neutrals.

I had a bit of a rewatch of the QF v Australia yesterday and what really caught my attention was the recycling speed from England.

It was really impressive and that is not something I've ever felt we were famous for, under Eddie Jones or indeed under anyone else. I recall at the time, that I liked having Underhill and Curry almost playing as "two 7s" and in my mind putting it down to that, but was that the case or- on reflection- was that too simple an analysis?

Lawes and Itoje would be two very mobile locks, and Kyle Sinckler an example of front row mobility, so I guess that helps for a fast tempo.

I also noted it looked to the naked eye one of Ben Youngs best games in terms of speed of pass- none of that half step delay he irritates us all with- and even Faz at 10 was fizzing it quickly into the centres.

Of course, we were flat against the Springboks in the final- although I think the NZ game took a little edge of us- and I guess the question is- did we over react and forget all of the good things that got us there, in a bid to react to the notion that we got "bullied" in the final?

It's just crazy how far away from that we looked this autumn.

Bit of a question around England in 2019 RWC guys- both England fans and neutrals.

I had a bit of a rewatch of the QF v Australia yesterday and what really caught my attention was the recycling speed from England.

It was really impressive and that is not something I've ever felt we were famous for, under Eddie Jones or indeed under anyone else. I recall at the time, that I liked having Underhill and Curry almost playing as "two 7s" and in my mind putting it down to that, but was that the case or- on reflection- was that too simple an analysis?

Lawes and Itoje would be two very mobile locks, and Kyle Sinckler an example of front row mobility, so I guess that helps for a fast tempo.

I also noted it looked to the naked eye one of Ben Youngs best games in terms of speed of pass- none of that half step delay he irritates us all with- and even Faz at 10 was fizzing it quickly into the centres.

Of course, we were flat against the Springboks in the final- although I think the NZ game took a little edge of us- and I guess the question is- did we over react and forget all of the good things that got us there, in a bid to react to the notion that we got "bullied" in the final?

Pre RWC19 the stupidly quick rucks was what Squidge (accurately, for once) identified as England's hidden tactic.

It was shown 3-4 times before the RWC, but not for more than 10-15 minutes at a time; then a bit more in the pool stages, and for the full match in the QF and SF.

It's one of the reasons that I do but into Eddie having a plan, albeit one we haven't seen enough of to identify, or for opponents to analyse and neuter

Does anyone remember the dark days when Borthwick was captain? It doesn't mean anything to he possible coaching role but by God they were depressing days for an Englishman.
To be honest that's all I remember of him. I absolutely believe he was a good player, he's got the CV and reputation but he instills confidence as a rival fan.

But what's the instruction to the players in games where Eddie didn't want to reveal his super secret special tactic (which features regularly on BT sport as both a statistic and a reason tries have been scored)?

'Aw mate, saunter up to the rucks and get the ball out like you're Ben Youngs on Prozac'?

Quick rucks are effective and hard to defend against, otherwise they wouldn't be effective.

Sounds less like a plan and more like a thing every coach at every level encourages every week to me...

Yep. For the attacking game fast ball is key and someone on here noted how much faster our ball became when Willis came on v NZ. But that and athleticism isn't an altar to sacrifice everything else at.

Itoje and Lawes would be a mobile row as you say and in the absence of other options I've said I wouldn't mind seeing that as an interim option.

But fundamentally the front 5 needs powering up. In the international game this year the lock with the most dominant (key word) carries, most line out steals, most offloads and joint most defenders beaten was Etzebeth. Haven't seen the full data but surely he'd have been thereabouts in tackles made and rucks hit etc too. So basically the most influential lock around. Properly big unit with a nasty streak who sets the tempo for his team. Biceps bigger than most people's thighs.

All about balance though. Imagine the chaos a back row like Curry, Willis and Dombrandt could cause working off a Boks style front 5.

Yep. For the attacking game fast ball is key and someone on here noted how much faster our ball became when Willis came on v NZ. But that and athleticism isn't an altar to sacrifice everything else at.

Itoje and Lawes would be a mobile row as you say and in the absence of other options I've said I wouldn't mind seeing that as an interim option.

But fundamentally the front 5 needs powering up. In the international game this year the lock with the most dominant (key word) carries, most line out steals, most offloads and joint most defenders beaten was Etzebeth. Haven't seen the full data but surely he'd have been thereabouts in tackles made and rucks hit etc too. So basically the most influential lock around. Properly big unit with a nasty streak who sets the tempo for his team. Biceps bigger than most people's thighs.

All about balance though. Imagine the chaos a back row like Curry, Willis and Dombrandt could cause working off a Boks style front 5.
Always felt EJ wanted Itoje and Lawes in the team, yet knew both in 2nd row was too light and therefore he had to sacrifice a back row to accommodate them both.
Yes, they are both great players and would be on most international squads, but they cannot play together as they are both too similar in style and size

Always felt EJ wanted Itoje and Lawes in the team, yet knew both in 2nd row was too light and therefore he had to sacrifice a back row to accommodate them both.
Yes, they are both great players and would be on most international squads, but they cannot play together as they are both too similar in style and size
I said it before. Jones is like a kid on Fifa picking the best players and then figuring out a team afterwards.

Latest posts