• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

London Irish losing sponsorships

Just read a thread on the London Irish messagebroad comparing the situation with Jackson to the D-Day commemorations which is interesting.
Prob sums up that fan base currently.

Honestly depending on what has happened second chances are earned not given.

This pretty much.

There has to be a way back for him. When people say things like
'I hope he never plays for a Provence again'

I assume they have never made a mistake or down anything wrong in their lives????
I mean surely he deserves a second chance at some point.

the guy was playing professional rugby last year. what second chance is he not getting?

the guy was playing professional rugby last year. what second chance is he not getting?
His international career, and all that brings, has almost certainly gone. And at club level he has little choice, being reduced to scrabbling around for anyone who'll take him.

His international career, and all that brings, has almost certainly gone. And at club level he has little choice, being reduced to scrabbling around for anyone who'll take him.

Ahh it could be worse, he could have tweeted some of his religious beliefs or some such.

Scrabbling around on six figure salaries (450k a season at Irish)

Boohoo

Would be interesting to see if the backlash would've been this big for another prem team?
London Irish having the obvious connections to Ireland has prob amplified it.

Outside of Paddy Whiskey though it seems they have English based companies and are more companies targeted business than Customer driven ones so should be alright.

least they know the main sponsor is on board given they shared the same chairman.

Would be interesting to see if the backlash would've been this big for another prem team?
London Irish having the obvious connections to Ireland has prob amplified it.
We weren't even officially linked to him but two of our main sponsors had words about it

Guinness don't give a **** about the case or PJ or the woman in question, they care about marketing and specifically social media.

The money they spend on LI and the money the sponsorship brings back will be a penny drop in an ocean for them, however they don't want to risk a social media backlash by a vocal minority and the black mark that can bring against their name.

And isn't that the the sorry truth of the whole thing? Additionally few if any large organisations now have a moral compass that compels them to say "hold on a minute, this isn't right!". They simply do what matters most in terms of "likes" and £

I'm somewhat conflicted about this. The idea that private messages between young men can be used to condemn them eternally seems massively disproportionate to me. The only reason that those messages are public record is due to a trial taking place at which Paddy Jackson and the others involved were acquitted of any crime. Are the messages unsavoury? Well I must be made of sterner stuff than some, as my main thought was "immature idiots" rather than absolute horror that young men might wish to enjoy themselves with members of the opposite sex and may God forbid, boast about it with their mates. Those sensitive souls that find this so horribly objectionable may be surprised to know that this has been happening well forever.....Sometimes in private men say things they don't even really mean. If it were consensual (and that's the unknowable here) then what's the issue?

The horrific context is in the messages provided by complainant. However, for whatever reason a jury decided that she had not been raped. Why would that be? What we have now is double jeopardy by mob trial. The oft heard "well he may not have been found guilty but he's clearly not innocent" type stuff. Guilty of what? Offending people's morality? Having a threesome? Not marrying the complainant having had sex with her? If we're simply to start ignoring the process of justice we might as well just do twitter polls and have done with it.

For the record. This is Jackson's personal involvement in the text messages. In my view it's hardly the misogynistic diatribe people are being led to believe it is.

3.48am Jackson took photos of McIlroy with three girls on the settee

9.13am WhatsApp message from Jackson to Olding unretrievable by police

9.14am - 9.15am Call from Jackson to Olding is unanswered. FaceTime from Jackson to Olding is unanswered. A voice call from Jackson to Olding is unanswered.

11.17am Jackson: "There was a lot of spit roast last night."

Jackson posts photos to the group taken on June 28 of McIlroy sitting on the sofa with three girls.

Jackson on JACOME: "Whole NI squad were out last night."

Jackson: "I don't have a solicitor, who should I contact."

Full transcript here https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/irish-news/full-transcript-text-messages-sent-12283375

The Private Messages are an absolute scapegoat. Craig Gilroy wrote worse and no one cares that he's playing for Ulster. It's clear that Jackson didn't treat the girl well and he was accused of rape, that's where the controversy really lies, it's modern vigilante justice on an opinion formed without all the facts of a legal case. Trying to right a wrong with a wrong, I don't really know where I stand to be honest, from a strict legal point of view it's bogus.

I'm somewhat conflicted about this. The idea that private messages between young men can be used to condemn them eternally seems massively disproportionate to me. The only reason that those messages are public record is due to a trial taking place at which Paddy Jackson and the others involved were acquitted of any crime. Are the messages unsavoury? Well I must be made of sterner stuff than some, as my main thought was "immature idiots" rather than absolute horror that young men might wish to enjoy themselves with members of the opposite sex and may God forbid, boast about it with their mates. Those sensitive souls that find this so horribly objectionable may be surprised to know that this has been happening well forever.....Sometimes in private men say things they don't even really mean. If it were consensual (and that's the unknowable here) then what's the issue?

Always find these types of comments cringing.

Times have changed and has been changing for some time. People need to either adapt or not be surprised when they get a backlash for something like this. Nothing is ever really private any more on the internet.

Last edited:
He is getting a second chance, just not in Ireland. Wanting him to get another chance is all well and good but the reality is that his image in Ireland is completely destroyed, there's a vocal minority who'll kill off any idea of associating with him. It's easy to underestimate how big the court case was in Ireland, it was genuinely one of the biggest news stories of the decade, more or less headline news every day for several months. The WhatsApps being used as the reason is nonsense (they're terrible but they're hardly the only ones) but even if he was found not guilty his actions that night were far from perfect.

He's unlucky in that others have probably done worse and gotten off but it's his and not anybody else's fault that his career in and for Ireland is gone.

Latest posts