• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Loosehead Prop advice please!

Well this is advice that has been given to me from two different Leinster frontrows. You gain much more power this way your feet aren't under you both feet are back giving you the power of both legs rather than one which is what your system pretty much entails. It also creates a better channel for the hooker to hook into. But thats probably irrelevant as no one feeds straight.

I think feet posistion is something that goes out the window in a game, I was always coached on it in scrum machine sessions but it seems that it's one of those things that's just too hard to control in a real live scrum. I've been told to have my feet in a few different ways, but I always end up resetting my feet after the hit anyway

Very, very few props have great technique, things like getting low and staying low in every scrum for 80 minutes is a matter of discipline and muscle memory. There's a reason that props hit their prime in their later years, it's such a technically demanding posistion to play at the highest level.

But stick at it, as a prop you should relish scrums. Every time you go down you need to tune in and focus on all the little points- how low you are, your bind, getting a good hit etc. You'll soon be doing well and enjoying it, it's a required taste but there's nothing like it when you screw your opposite man.

Just reporting back after my game to those who are interested, and surprise surprise I have a couple more questions!

In the first half I was playing against a younger, fairly big lad who I faired quite well against as I was a lot stronger, In the second half they brought on an older and obviously more experienced guy. As I had given them a bit of grief in the first half, I think they brought him on to try and use some of his 'tricks' against me, and that's where my next question comes from.

On the engage, he kept trying to pin my arm down and bring it under my chest, what's the best way to combat this? My hooker's advice was to pinch him!

For the most part, though, the game went well and for the last 30 minutes we were dominating the scrums and running them back, and it was obvious I had gotten to them because I kept breaking their tightheads bind and we were going right through them.

I appreciate all the advice, I do play alongside a very experienced hooker and tighthead, and they do give me lots of helpful advice, I am just trying to do as much research as possible!

Use a nice long bind. Bind about halfway down his back use a punch type touch to help you get to that position.

Thats exactly what i said you should try!....maybe he is on the board too and read it...<_<

anyway, the guys i found it hard to do it to were the ones that stuck their arm straight out towards me (a bad example would be a nazi salute) as its harder to bring their arm right back, the ones it was easy against were the ones who had their arm straight out from the shoulder and bent at the elbow ( "L" shaped) as that presented a nice big target of the upper arm to grab

that make sense?

I do neck exercises as part of my weight training. Now, I typically play tighthead and not loose, but as far as the soreness thing this helps regardless.
ex-legs-bum-mach-05.gif

Find a lying leg extension machine. Lie on your stomach facing opposite of how the machine is typically used. Place the back of your head under the rest where ones feet usually go. place your hands flat on the ground in front of you to brace yourself. Using low weight extend your neck backwards. I hope this makes sense.

I also do squats on a bosu ball:

this will help with stability and control while in the scrum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the brotherhood buddy here are a few tips

1. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Make sure your pre match prep is spot on. Warm up your neck properly and remember whats right for you is the right thing to do.
2. Scrummage to a plan. How does your team scrummage? do they hit hard and keep it on or do they absorb the initial hit and try to counter. What plans do you have to cobat a decent tighthead i.e shortening gaps or loosening binds.
3. Props who chicken wing are good fun. If a prop has his arm bent when binding on you have a word with your flanker and get him to push down so it bends underneath him from the shoulder and watch him go backwards
4. Eyes up open and bull. Push your tongue behind your 2 front teeth with your head up this will "bull" your neck and give you a strong core for your upper body.

Latest posts