• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Magners League Final

I agree with most of that evaluation but I think hook has shown he is one up on D'arcy at the moment. Ospreys have one of the best Europian sides on paper but some times I Think Ospreys don't know how to win the important games. The Ospreys have been quite consistant this year but I don't think they have proven they are a better side than Leinster. Ospreys have a more talented team than Munster but the proof is in the trophies that why I would put a bet on Ospreys to beat munster but I'd say Munster were still the better club. If I'm being honest I think Williams will struggle against the defence of Leinster, Their be better off giving the ball to Bowe of Hook IMO

Lads fact is
- For Leinster the motivation is there as the send off for a few
- The Ospreys probably determine how the future of the region for the next few years goes by this game. It not all gloom if they loose but a performance is a must.

Let's do the match-ups, shall we?

15: Rob Kearney vs Lee Byrne. A very marginal one. Neither have shown their 2009 form yet both have improved as the season has gone on. I'm going to call this one a tie.

14: Shane Horgan vs Tommy Bowe No question here, Ospreys

13: Brian O'Driscoll vs Andrew Bishop Bishop will have to play exceedingly well to get one up on the maestro. Leinster

12: Gordon D'Arcy vs James Hook Two international centres, neither at their best. I know who'd I'd rather have in my team though. Leinster, barely

11: Isa Nacewa vs Shane Williams Isa Brings the better kicking game and might be a little stringer in defence, but there's only one ickle Shane. give him the ball and he'll score. Ospreys

10: Jonathan Sexton vs Dan Biggar The two most promising 10's in the British Isles. Sexton has proven himself at the highest level, Biggar hasn't. Leinster

9: Eoin Reddan vs Mike Philips Despite beind the standout performer in Ireland's 2007 WC disaster, Reddan hasn't featured much on the international scene as of late. We all know what Mike Philips is capable of. Ospreys

1: Stan Wright vs Paul James One of the most underrated props in the game versus erm... Paul James. Leinster

2: John Fogarty vs Huw Bennett While neither are world beaters, the Welshman is a far more capable player than his enthusiastic but lacking opposite number. Ospreys

3: CJ van der Linde vs Adam Jones CJ is the better prop, but I can't see him lasting the full 80 minutes if Leinster need him. For that reason, I'm calling it a tie.

4: Nathan Hines vs Alun Wyn Jones The second row is certainly going to be a battleground on the weekend. I believe Hines has more fighting qualities than Jones and is a tougher operator overall. He may be liable to pick up a yellow though. Leinster

5: Malcolm O'Kelly vs Jonathan Thomas Two experianced players, Thomas however is still in his 20's. Ospreys.

6: Kevin McLaughlin vs Jerry Collins Rocky who? The Leinsterman has really filled the pretty gaping void left by Elsom this season. That said, Collins is one of the best 6's of the modern era and will prove a good test for a man hoping to prove himself down under this summer. Ospreys

7: Shane Jennings vs Marty Holah I'd rather have Jennings in my XV. Leinster

8: Jamie Heaslip vs Ryan Jones A man who hasn't fired on all cylinders since 2008 comes up against possibly the best 8 in the world at the moment. No contest here. Leinster

The Benches
Neither is particularly impressive. I'll call it a tie.

The Coaches Cheika has revolutionised everything about Leinster rugby. We're on of the lowest scorers in the league yet we have the most solid defence, unthinkable a few years back. Leinster

In total that'a 6 Ospreys, 8 Leinster and 3 ties. Should be close enough if the game was solely based on my valuation of the squads.

Not bad. Think you've got 12 completely wrong. Hook is in great form, compared to a missfiring D'Arcy. Not much contest I'm sory. I'd prefer Paul James than Stan Wright. James has improved hugely, and is now a decent loosehead. Quite confident we'll see more of James than Wright during the match. Neither are anywhere neer world class though! Alun-Wyn isn't in top form, but I think he's on par with Hines. I'd also pick Hollah ahead of Jennings on current form.

Both of us are a little biased though.

Let's do the match-ups, shall we?

15: Rob Kearney vs Lee Byrne. A very marginal one. Neither have shown their 2009 form yet both have improved as the season has gone on. I'm going to call this one a tie.

14: Shane Horgan vs Tommy Bowe No question here, Ospreys

13: Brian O'Driscoll vs Andrew Bishop Bishop will have to play exceedingly well to get one up on the maestro. Leinster

12: Gordon D'Arcy vs James Hook Two international centres, neither at their best. I know who'd I'd rather have in my team though. Leinster, barely

11: Isa Nacewa vs Shane Williams Isa Brings the better kicking game and might be a little stringer in defence, but there's only one ickle Shane. give him the ball and he'll score. Ospreys

10: Jonathan Sexton vs Dan Biggar The two most promising 10's in the British Isles. Sexton has proven himself at the highest level, Biggar hasn't. Leinster

9: Eoin Reddan vs Mike Philips Despite beind the standout performer in Ireland's 2007 WC disaster, Reddan hasn't featured much on the international scene as of late. We all know what Mike Philips is capable of. Ospreys

1: Stan Wright vs Paul James One of the most underrated props in the game versus erm... Paul James. Leinster

2: John Fogarty vs Huw Bennett While neither are world beaters, the Welshman is a far more capable player than his enthusiastic but lacking opposite number. Ospreys

3: CJ van der Linde vs Adam Jones CJ is the better prop, but I can't see him lasting the full 80 minutes if Leinster need him. For that reason, I'm calling it a tie.

4: Nathan Hines vs Alun Wyn Jones The second row is certainly going to be a battleground on the weekend. I believe Hines has more fighting qualities than Jones and is a tougher operator overall. He may be liable to pick up a yellow though. Leinster

5: Malcolm O'Kelly vs Jonathan Thomas Two experianced players, Thomas however is still in his 20's. Ospreys.

6: Kevin McLaughlin vs Jerry Collins Rocky who? The Leinsterman has really filled the pretty gaping void left by Elsom this season. That said, Collins is one of the best 6's of the modern era and will prove a good test for a man hoping to prove himself down under this summer. Ospreys

7: Shane Jennings vs Marty Holah I'd rather have Jennings in my XV. Leinster

8: Jamie Heaslip vs Ryan Jones A man who hasn't fired on all cylinders since 2008 comes up against possibly the best 8 in the world at the moment. No contest here. Leinster

The Benches
Neither is particularly impressive. I'll call it a tie.

The Coaches Cheika has revolutionised everything about Leinster rugby. We're on of the lowest scorers in the league yet we have the most solid defence, unthinkable a few years back. Leinster

In total that'a 6 Ospreys, 8 Leinster and 3 ties. Should be close enough if the game was solely based on my valuation of the squads.

I'd agree with most of this except I think Kearney has been is great form for his last couple of matches and imo is clearly ahead of Byrne at the minute. Also I think James Hook has really come in to his own this and is now one of my favourite players to watch, he's in front of D'Arcy for me. I reckon this will be the game of the weekend followed closely by the French game. It's a pity about the clash of schedules though.

As much as it may pain me to say it, I think Dullonien and Jockstrap could be right. James Hook is probably the better center at the moment. Just about. But I would almost call it a tie. Experience can be key.
Whilst fun and carefree, player by player ratings are pretty redundant. If you compare the center partnership of messrs D'Arcy and O'Driscoll to Hook and Bishop there's only 1 clear winner.

Comparing one on one does give you a decent gauge to how the game might go. I'd say you guys have it spot on really.

But what I am interested in is the team chemistry, because over recent years, this is perhaps what has let the Ospreys down. Certainly this season I'd say this has been getting better. But Leinster really do play as a team and that, with the talent they have, is the biggest threat to the Ospreys.

Well only a couple of hours to go for this one,im looking forward to it.I hope the Ospreys will take it and bring another trophy home to Wales.

Just realised I have miss this one, have to go out for my sister's birthday. Bad timing, how do you do? Anyway I'm going to record it for later.

anybody have a link? i found one in welsh

Never mind found one

Last edited:
Think that's all you'll find, as it's only broadcast on S4C in the UK which is welsh language
Though apparently Zattoo.com stream S4C with the English option of commentary (when the game starts you can choose between english and welsh)

S4C offer very bias english broadcating aswell via the red button

it's cool found one funny name too good quality another benefit

Last edited:
I'd edit the link out, they don't like it here (understandably) - copyright reasons and all that

I used to use that site quite a bit, but for some reason since i got my new laptop is freezes up a lot, like is very stuttery.
Got Magners on the TV, Guinness on the net, i'm sorted for the evening :p

Frantic start to this match. Both teams look a little nervous, making a few mistakes. Ospreys started well, but Leinster have come back into things.

Edit: first chance of points to the Ospreys. Important Biggar get's this...... pushes it wide. That's a bad start, hope it doesn't knock his confidence.

Further edit: try to the Ospreys. Nice flat pass from Biggar to Bishop, and Tommy Bowe finishes it.

Last edited:
Not sure about that crossing call. I've seen much much worse allowed.

Edit: Ospreys score again. Great line by Byrne, Hook creating things.

Ospreys are in control of this game. Gotta keep it going though.

Further edit: Ospreys defense certainly on top. Leinster are having to try and create from their own half and the O's are forcing mistakes. Alun-Wyn having a very prominent game.

Last edited:
Byrnes try was fantastic,
That set piece was executed perfectly, looked like they were just running through it in training or something

Even the Ospreys' bloody lineout is functioning!

Half time. Ospreys lead 14-3. Great first half for the O's. They were a little all over the place in the first 15min, but they really settled down after Bowe scored.

A long way to go yet though.....

Last edited:
not looking great for Leinster right now i think they can do it tho.

Latest posts