• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Martin Johnson England manager/coach?

you`re Welsh you think every English person is stuck up.
[/b]
A common misconception, not all of us think you're stuck up.
Just like some Englishmen (although none on this forum) believe the Welsh are sheep-sh*****. Not all of us are that... :blink:

So what are the possible legal ramifications of what's gone on, they were talking about lawyers today on Sky News and Setanta and there's a piece on the BBC with Brian Moore, so does Ashton have a case but more importantly is he likely to take an action against the RFU?

<div class='quotemain'>Just like some Englishmen (although none on this forum) believe the Welsh are sheep-sh*****. Not all of us are that... :blink: [/b]

RC is!
[/b][/quote]
I'm disappointed...I waited a whole right minutes for that reply. :angry:

Johnson was always going to coach/manage England at some point. He was a great leader, something which will hopefully rub off onto the players HE chooses.

Johnson was always going to coach/manage England at some point. He was a great leader, something which will hopefully rub off onto the players HE chooses. [/b]

bwahaha.jpg

Ahem...

robandrewcnt.jpg

<div class='quotemain'>Just like some Englishmen (although none on this forum) believe the Welsh are sheep-sh*****. Not all of us are that... :blink: [/b]

RC is!
[/b][/quote]

Hey!!!

...no...no argument.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>Just like some Englishmen (although none on this forum) believe the Welsh are sheep-sh*****. Not all of us are that... :blink: [/b]

RC is!
[/b][/quote]

Hey!!!

...no...no argument.
[/b][/quote]
20070818124129676_1.jpg

This is all a bit, well Welsh. As Macsen said earlier, I wouldn't have been surprised if the WRU did something like this, but this just comes across a bit crazy.

I don't despute Johnson's acheivments and leadership as a player, but being a coach is completely different, especially being a national coach. Gareth Jenkins demonstrated how wrong you can get it, even though he was Wales' most successful regional coach. Johnson could turn out to be an excellent coach, but to be expected to supply that instantly, thats a different matter. Why not start at premiership level to get the hang of things, why did the RFU need him so badly, especially with the likes of Jake White standing around twiddling their thumbs, waiting for a call.

Madness, all madness I say. Wouldn't be atall surprised to see it all blow up in their faces.

This is all a bit, well Welsh. As Macsen said earlier, I wouldn't have been surprised if the WRU did something like this, but this just comes across a bit crazy.

I don't despute Johnson's acheivments and leadership as a player, but being a coach is completely different, especially being a national coach. Gareth Jenkins demonstrated how wrong you can get it, even though he was Wales' most successful regional coach. Johnson could turn out to be an excellent coach, but to be expected to supply that instantly, thats a different matter. Why not start at premiership level to get the hang of things, why did the RFU need him so badly, especially with the likes of Jake White standing around twiddling their thumbs, waiting for a call.

Madness, all madness I say. Wouldn't be atall surprised to see it all blow up in their faces.[/b]

Plenty others also showed it can be done, transforming from player into top manager/coach.

Can't think of any successfull national rugby coach doing so myself. In the modern era that is.

I don't know many rugby coaches, but I can point out several football coaches for you. Van Basten and Johan Cruijff to start off with.

Edit: Loffreda went straight into coaching after his playing carreer, he didn't do to shabby, though he might have had a coaching spell somewhere in argentina before he started managing the argentinian side, I don't know.

Can't think of any successfull national rugby coach doing so myself. In the modern era that is. [/b]

Warren Gatland possibly? He wasn't a great (at least at Test Level), but apparently he was always rated highly, he just had the sad misfortune of being born around the same time as Mr Indestructable.

I would have thought he'd bring in someone a bit more experienced given his lack of it at this level

Indeed. Also, will players respect Catt as a coach when he's played with them just months earlier? Will that transition work out?

They've certainly made a cauliflower ear of things. Bad time for any change, let alone into the sizable hands of a player with no coaching experinence. I don't see England winning a match until Italy or Scotland in the 6 nations next year. :(

My point was that very little coaches first gig is an international position. I know there has been a few in football as Nidhogg has pointed out (Mark Hughes coaching Wales also), but why test it out when there is a world cup winning coach by the name of Jake White available? Then to bring Catt in, this'll go pear shaped for the next year or so, might work itself out in the end, but will he have the time? If they only beat Scotland and Italy next year say, considering the way Ashton got treated, why would he be saved?

He's gonna have to learn very quickly, against arguably the best team in the world out in NZ! International coaches should already have proven themselves at club sides first, the same way players do!

Edit/ sorry, Catt hasn't been installed yet, my bad.

I whole heartedly hope Catt does join this set up to be honest. In my opinion, Johnson is going to need help from people with some experience in coaching, something Catt has been doing rather well at London Irish (i.e. first HC Semis for the Exiles).

In regards to whether players will respect him with it being so close after playing with him, I understand he is held very highly by a number of the current England squad.

This can only be a positive bar one detail. The comments made in Catts book last year concerning Ashton are still rather strong in the memory. I could see an extension of this already disastrous PR situation simply because of the comments made by Catt last November.

Latest posts