• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Martin Johnson England manager/coach?

Its a huge risk to apoint Jhonson when he has no experience remember Staunton for irish Soccor they should have given him a post like assistant manager or something first to try him out

Looks like Ashton is taking that academy position again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...ish/7354477.stm

A case of one step forward and two steps back me thinks. He has shown that given the setup of the England team he was put into, he can't handle it, but I still see him as one of the best backs coaches around. He should have gone back into doing that for an international side other than England. Or just taken a hiatus from rugby altogether and introduce himself to the Jake White club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_unio...ish/7354477.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/english/live_scores/default.stm <a href=\\"http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/english/fixtures/default.stm\\" target=\\"_blank\\">Fixtures</a> Tables Results Squad Selector
Related BBC sitesSite Version
o.gif
Page last updated at 11:37 GMT, Friday, 18 April 2008 12:37 UK
dot_629.gif
E-mail this to a friend <a href="http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/english/7354477.stm" target="_blank"> Printable version
Ashton 'will take new RFU post'
_44580192_ashtonpa203.jpg
Ashton is set to have a wide-ranging role with the RFU Academy

Brian Ashton will take up a new role as head coach of the National Academy, according to Rugby Football Union chief executive Francis Baron.

Ashton lost his job as England's head coach following the appointment of Martin Johnson as team manager.

But Baron said: "Brian has confirmed to me his interest in taking up the new position that we have offered him."

Baron admitted mistakes had been made in the process that led to Ashton's exit and Johnson's appointment.

News conference: RFU chief executive Francis Baron

"We accept in some respects that the RFU could have handled the process better and lessons have been learned," added Baron.

"However, I do not accept that Brian has not been properly dealt with overall."

It had been reported that Ashton was considering legal action against the RFU.

But elite performance director Rob Andrew said on Friday: "It has been a very difficult situation for him and me personally and professionally.

"We are working closely with Brian and we spoke this morning. He is very keen to continue work with the RFU and over the next few days and weeks we hope to sort that out.

Interview: England head coach Martin Johnson

"He did also say, contrary to reports, he will not be suing the RFU over this issue."

Andrew added that Johnson's new role had initially been considered a secondary position to Ashton's role as head coach.

"It came about from the World Cup review," added Andrew. "We said we would look at the role of team manager.

"Brian had a clear view of what the role should be, effectively a number two reporting to the coach.

"Over the last two or three months, we have spoken to six people about the role of team manager and then spoke to Martin after the Six Nations.

o.gif
606: DEBATE It would appear at the beckoning of the RFU, Johnson has stepped into the breach to save England - it's a big call
DJ

"Once we started discussing the role of team manager for Martin, it became clear what the role should be. It became clear it was a number one role and we wanted Martin in that role."

Ashton, 61, rejoined the England set-up in May 2006 as attack coach and succeeded Andy Robinson as head coach in December of the same year.

England reached the World Cup final in 2007 and Ashton, who has also coached Ireland and Bath, was reappointed on an "indefinite" contract last December, which RFU elite rugby director Rob Andrew indicated would run until 2011.

Ashton had made it clear that he would welcome the appointment of a team manager to take some of the administrative duties away from him but was keen to retain responsibility for all rugby-related issues, including selection and tactics.

And he was unwilling to continue in his role as head coach once it became clear it would be the number two position in the set-up.

But Andrew denied that Ashton had been left in the dark while the RFU decided on its new coaching structure.

"I was in touch with Brian all the way through this process," he said. "He knew when I was meeting Martin.

o.gif
It has been very difficult and I have not felt comfortable with it at times
Martin Johnson on the circumstances of his appointment

"There came a point where the role of team manager as perceived by Brian was beginning to change but until negotiations of a very sensitive nature were finalised, it was very difficult to get to this outcome."

Johnson said that the circumstances of his appointment were far from ideal - and that he felt sympathy for Ashton.

"It has been very difficult and I have not felt comfortable with it at times," said the new England team manager.

"I am sure it has been a lot worse for Brian and I have sympathy for him. I intend to speak to him."

Baron added that the role Ashton has been offered will be wide ranging and ideally suited to his abilities.

"I very much believe Brian will remain a part of the team," added Baron.

"Brian is a highly-valued employee of the RFU. He remains under contract with us, that contract caters for Brian to be switched to alternative roles within the RFU.

"We have offered him the alternative position of head coach of the National Academy.

"This is a considerably wider role than Brian previously held in the National Academy. It covers the Saxons, the under-20s and the under-18s. "We believe Brian has an outstanding track record in developing young talent of the future. "We believe that this role is ideally suited to Brian's special skill set."

[/b]

LOL What a load of **** that is.... Ashton is definitely getting a fat paycheck to keep him quiet. I assume he will keep his existing salary maybe get a little bonus etc

Can't believe Ashton has accepted that job. Certainly getting his silence bought.

there is some suggestion that despite Baron's assurance that Ashton was not seeking legal advice, that he has in fact consulted in regards to seeking compensation.

does sound alot like constructive dismissal to me.

Latest posts