• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Maybe this is why I don't get the NH club rugby

Well, if you support your local team then good for you, but Portsmouth's F.C has hardly had the same support base as 2009 after dropping to league 2 (it is still the biggest support base in Div 2 I guess...). Regardless the point smartcookie is making is that its not a model that rugby could realistically follow, nor does it allow for an extremely competitive league. Listing the teams to have won it being limited doesn't make it less competitive - the Hurricanes, Highlanders, Sharks, Stormers and Waratahs have all played in the finals, which means of the 11/15 teams have competed in a final. Sounds reasonably competitive to me...

The average football fan will support one of the five or six top teams in the premier league. That is the mentality of a premier league fan. Find me a supported of Fullham in South Africa or Norwich City in Australia. I'm sure you can find many Man-U or Chelsea fans, but the health of the other clubs isn't anywhere near the top few. If you honestly believe that every club in the league gets similar support then you are crazy, and if not I don't see what this post is arguing except to point out that the premier league isn't based in New Zealand...

The average fan tends to support his local club but you do have some that follow the top teams regardless of where they are. I follow Leeds but am from London. As a 7yo i had no idea where Leeds were except on top of the league. Only in later years did i also start supporting my local team Brentford. But i still regard Leeds as my No1 team.
I think you will find that a teams fanbase doesnt just go away, it follows the team but from the armchair like myself. If Portsmouth start to rise again, so their fans will return. My team is Leeds, and you only have to look at the attendance figures as they went from 1st tier to 3rd tier and then back up to 2nd tier, to see that fans can be fickle with regard going to see a losing team. Thats the nature of the beast, and would be seen in the Welsh Regions if they started to provide Rabo12 & HC winning teams. You see a boost in match attendances when an international side do well in tournaments for the same reason. Its the feel good factor.

As for fans overseas supporting the top teams....well that is blindingly obvious. Most wouldnt have a clue where these teams are in England, but they see those teams week in week out at the top and follow them. Its the popularity of the league that i was trying to allude to. And maybe if you use comparisons with countries where football is popular, and not South Africa and Australia. Another very popular team, which is not EPL is Barcelona.
Only a fool would expect losing teams to get as many fans as winning teams, but that is what makes sport so good, in that even the small teams have someone and his dog who supports them through thick & thin regardless. Get it yet?

I'm a Kiwi and I live in London and have done since 1999.
I can tell you right now that the majority of people in the capital city of England and by far the biggest city in your country couldn't care less about the EPL.
They wouldn't notice if it disappeared tomorrow.
Why?
Over saturation on the telly, on the back and often the front of the red top papers.
Football is soooo boring.
Footballers are soooo thick.
They are poor role models and many of the foreign imports (the ones who can actually play the game) don't speak much English so they don't do interviews.
Two of my local pubs have reduced the number of EPL games they show and the days they show them.
There just isn't the same level of interest due to the numbing process of over saturation.
Secondly, with the ongoing recession more families are giving up on Sky because they can't afford it. Sky have also broken up the football package here so you pay a fortune to see either all the games or the games you want to see. Buying Sky doesn't mean you get to see the football.

A similar thing happened here and has been a real eye-opener to show that EPL is certainly not well supported here.

Sky lost the rights to show the EPL to a company called Coloseum Sports, agents for Premier League Pass where people sign up to watch on line on HD. There were all these dire predictions that all the football fans in NZ would desert Sky in their droves, all signing up for the PLP. What actually happened was.... nothing. Sky TV is still increasing its subscriptions, and PLP has had a very poor uptake.

On top of that, Sky simply bought rebroadcast rights directly off the four major clubs, and they know show Man Utd TV, Arsenal TV, Man City TV and Chelsea TV on Sky Sport 3 (Channel 53). SkyTV report that it costs them a quarter of what it did before, they still play all the matches involving those teams, and have just as many fans watching as they had before.

I think its fairly obvious that the international fan base for EPL is nowhere as great as some would like to believe. On the other hand, during the FIFA World Cup, SkyTV have four additional Sky Sports channels to cope with the heavy demand. International fans will happily watch Ghana v Northern Ireland or Croatia v Paraguay, but they wouldn't even bother turning the TV on to watch Fulham v West Brom or Sunderland v Southhampton.

There's a lesson in there for rugby!!

Wow 3 Kiwis that dont understand what it is like to support a football team. Earlier in the thread, BMs have stated that their team which they have supported all their lives could suddenly be full of foreigners, and yet they will still support their team. That is what its all about. And the majority of people in England dont support football, but those that do, support their clubs through thick & thin and if you go anywhere near a ground on matchday then you will see the thousands that are interested in football. That your circles do not means nout, and the fact you Kiwis dont get that concept doesnt surprise me, seeing as your national game is geared towards the All Blacks Brand. Cooky himself, in other threads, has stated that he is not that interested in supporting your top domestic teams, his main focus is All Blacks. Now that is ok for you guys, but dont keep knocking a sport that millions watch and enjoy around the world, at domestic level and at international level. Its a sport that far eclipses rugby in participation, viewing & financial figures.
Its interesting how you speak universally for all football supporters. It may be the case that football is very much a part of your culture in which you support them win, lose or draw. I can say as a Hurricanes supporter and a Wellington Lions supporter that constant success has hardly been a factor in my support, as if you knew anything about rugby you'd know that clearly isn't the case. What you seem to miss is that outside of the die hard supporters - the ones that turn up week in and week out, there are many more bandwagon/fair weather supporters who will only support teams who are successful. Manchester United is one of the most supported teams in the world, I bet you if I asked half of their supporters world wide to point to Manchester on a map they'd struggle. Furthermore I bet if they were relegated to the Championship I bet they'd lose 25% of their fanbase within a couple of seasons. Regardless, the point is that the model which can favour 20% of the teams so consistently which can be successful for the English football game, won't work for French rugby - because as you have pointed out rugby just doesn't have the same profile world wide, and the small percentage of teams which can affort to buy a Top 14, will keep the game only popular within those regions. Why is that so hard to understand?
Well done Cooky, you made your point again about how only a few teams have won the ***le. Was that in case we missed it? :rolleyes: But as i pointed out, your "everybody equal" league has thrown up the same old winners aswell. But you seem to have missed the point that to the average football fan who doesnt support one of those teams, winning the ***le isnt the main focus. Its being competitive on a match by match basis, and maybe having a good run in a cup. As for England winning world cups....well maybe we need to have it in England again seeing as that worked for the consistently No1 rated All Blacks. :p
Mmm, maybe. But the Rugby World Cup has had matches in the UK at least three times, none of which England has won so I guess it's not a given :p. The attitude of hoping for the team you support to "be competitive" or "give as good as they get" sounds like going to a match without any real investment of hope. Every season I hope the teams I support will win, and think if things go their way they may win the league. Hoping a team is competitive on a match by match basis while resigned to the fact they will never win is pretty damn grim.
I was going to say, funny how a Crusaders fan is really enthusiastic about the Super 15 as this wonderful utopia where everyone has a chance of winning. Somehow, if I were a fan of the other 8 teams who haven't won a ***le or come even remotely close to winning one, I'd have a slightly different view on matters to put it lightly. Also to clarify: 1. It was three winning teams out of twelve between 1996 and 2005 - 25% 2. It was then one new winning team out of fourteen (or four out of fourteen) between 2006 and 2010 - 29% overall over the period. 3. Since then its another two new winning teams out of fifteen (or six out of fifteen) - 40% total.
I am a fan of a team who has never won it but have reached the semi finals six times and a final once - and I have no real problems with the setup. Realistically speaking every league will have teams that traditionally better than others. It's only unfair when the reason a team is better is because of a vast difference of resources. The Crusaders traditionally have a very good talent identification program and the best coaches often come from their systems. They are a better run franchise, but their budget wouldn't be better than the Hurricanes - and the talent of players is spread relatively well throughout the franchises. It seems odd targeting smartcookies choice of team (particularly when its his local team, he also supports Tasman which is traditionally much less successful!). Like I said earlier, those statistics don't reflect who has made it to the finals or how competitive a team has been. Picking a select period of time is also strange - especially if the same is done to the Premier League. 1. Between 1992-1997 only two teams won the league (10%) of this one team won it 4/5 times (5%). 2. Between 1998-2004 only two teams won the league again (10%) 3. Between 2005-2011 only two teams won the league again (10%) Since 1992 Manchester United has won 13 of 21 championships (62%). Manchester United have also been runners up 5 times in the same period - so there is a 86% chance they will be in the top two teams. No matter what way you slice it, it is hard to say the Premier League is anything other than relatively predictable in terms of who will be contending. All this is very much against the point - as smartcookie was contending that this model really doesn't make an attractive model in the Top 14 - as if the leagues become too devided it really only benefits a couple of support basis, while rugby isn't so embedded in French culture that it can allow its league to only have a handful of teams get success. There is room for growth rather than allowing it to get stagnant.

The average fan tends to support his local club but you do have some that follow the top teams regardless of where they are. I follow Leeds but am from London. As a 7yo i had no idea where Leeds were except on top of the league. Only in later years did i also start supporting my local team Brentford. But i still regard Leeds as my No1 team.
I think you will find that a teams fanbase doesnt just go away, it follows the team but from the armchair like myself. If Portsmouth start to rise again, so their fans will return. My team is Leeds, and you only have to look at the attendance figures as they went from 1st tier to 3rd tier and then back up to 2nd tier, to see that fans can be fickle with regard going to see a losing team. Thats the nature of the beast, and would be seen in the Welsh Regions if they started to provide Rabo12 & HC winning teams. You see a boost in match attendances when an international side do well in tournaments for the same reason. Its the feel good factor.

As for fans overseas supporting the top teams....well that is blindingly obvious. Most wouldnt have a clue where these teams are in England, but they see those teams week in week out at the top and follow them. Its the popularity of the league that i was trying to allude to. And maybe if you use comparisons with countries where football is popular, and not South Africa and Australia. Another very popular team, which is not EPL is Barcelona.
Only a fool would expect losing teams to get as many fans as winning teams, but that is what makes sport so good, in that even the small teams have someone and his dog who supports them through thick & thin regardless. Get it yet?

Unfortunately having the Top 14 providing only a handful of teams which are able to succeed - means that it leaves most of the country apathetic to rugby, especially when the French team are unable to get success because of the domestic league. Footballs popularity is such that it will always have a place in English culture, however I would find it hard to believe that French rugby is in the same position that it can afford such a one sided league!

Soccer is actually a pretty big part of South African culture, especially in the black communities...they hosted some tournament not so long ago :p

Last edited:
A similar thing happened here and has been a real eye-opener to show that EPL is certainly not well supported here.

Sky lost the rights to show the EPL to a company called Coloseum Sports, agents for Premier League Pass where people sign up to watch on line on HD. There were all these dire predictions that all the football fans in NZ would desert Sky in their droves, all signing up for the PLP. What actually happened was.... nothing. Sky TV is still increasing its subscriptions, and PLP has had a very poor uptake.

On top of that, Sky simply bought rebroadcast rights directly off the four major clubs, and they know show Man Utd TV, Arsenal TV, Man City TV and Chelsea TV on Sky Sport 3 (Channel 53). SkyTV report that it costs them a quarter of what it did before, they still play all the matches involving those teams, and have just as many fans watching as they had before.

I think its fairly obvious that the international fan base for EPL is nowhere as great as some would like to believe. On the other hand, during the FIFA World Cup, SkyTV have four additional Sky Sports channels to cope with the heavy demand. International fans will happily watch Ghana v Northern Ireland or Croatia v Paraguay, but they wouldn't even bother turning the TV on to watch Fulham v West Brom or Sunderland v Southhampton.

There's a lesson in there for rugby!!

So Kiwis are showing that they are not interested in the EPL....well blow me over with a feather duster....how does that compare with other very interested nations and regions such as i have mentioned as summarising the EPL as being unpopular?
And as i have already stated....people from other countries, who have no affiliation or recognition of geographical whereabouts of certain teams WILL obviously gravitate their interest to those teams that are consistently at the top. Is that too difficult to comprehend? You keep showing examples of the blindingly obvious.

And as for those teams you mention, they have average attendances of 24000, 24000, 30000 & 41000. And the lowest in the league has an average of over 20000 (Swansea in Welsh Rugby country). i think their are a few Rugby teams that would like them figures.

Its interesting how you speak universally for all football supporters. It may be the case that football is very much a part of your culture in which you support them win, lose or draw. I can say as a Hurricanes supporter and a Wellington Lions supporter that constant success has hardly been a factor in my support, as if you knew anything about rugby you'd know that clearly isn't the case. What you seem to miss is that outside of the die hard supporters - the ones that turn up week in and week out, there are many more bandwagon/fair weather supporters who will only support teams who are successful. Manchester United is one of the most supported teams in the world, I bet you if I asked half of their supporters world wide to point to Manchester on a map they'd struggle. Furthermore I bet if they were relegated to the Championship I bet they'd lose 25% of their fanbase within a couple of seasons. Regardless, the point is that the model which can favour 20% of the teams so consistently which can be successful for the English football game, won't work for French rugby - because as you have pointed out rugby just doesn't have the same profile world wide, and the small percentage of teams which can affort to buy a Top 14, will keep the game only popular within those regions. Why is that so hard to understand? :p

If you read my posts properly you will see that you are agreeing with what i am saying Doh. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
If we look at another sport with a hard salary cap, American football Super Bowl winners over the last 20 years are:

Dallas Cowboys 1994, 1996
San Francisco 49ers 1995
Green Bay Packers 1997, 2011
Denver Broncos 1998, 1999
St Louis Rams 2000
Baltimore Ravens 2001, 2013
New England Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2003
Pittsburgh Steelers 2006, 2009
Indianapolis Colts 2007
New York Giants 2008, 2012
New Orleans Saints 2010

That's 12 different winners in 20 years (the free agency era) with only 3 teams winning back to back Super Bowls (the Cowboys also won in 1993). A further 10 teams have lost in the Super Bowl (Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers, Atlanta Falcons, Tennessee ***ans, Oakland Raiders, Carolina Panthers, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks, Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals). Out of a 32 teams league 69% of teams have played in the final game over the last 20 completed seasons with 38% of teams winning it. That's the sort of competition any league would want.

As a Leinster fan I'm delighted to have seen 3 ERC ***les in 4 seasons but for the sport in general, perhaps we should look to even the playing field and see all teams grow. I fear that money is going to buy the next few European crowns unless we're careful and that will be a hard trend to reverse as seen in European football's model.

Mmm, maybe. But the Rugby World Cup has had matches in the UK at least three times, none of which England has won so I guess it's not a given :p. The attitude of hoping for the team you support to "be competitive" or "give as good as they get" sounds like going to a match without any real investment of hope. Every season I hope the teams I support will win, and think if things go their way they may win the league. Hoping a team is competitive on a match by match basis while resigned to the fact they will never win is pretty damn grim. :p

Actually you almost hit the answer to what many fans of non-winning teams have in abundance.... HOPE.
Apart from that i agree with your point, but that is what being a fan is all about. Occationally teams small teams do beat (or draw) with the big teams and fans feel like they have won a world cup.... ex: England v New Zealand last year :D

And as a Kiwi, i will forgive you for actually thinking the UK is the same as England.

Soccer is actually a pretty big part of South African culture, especially in the black communities...they hosted some tournament not so long ago :p

Yes i do know, and was going to mention that racial divide amongst South Africans, but i am unaware of whether the poor townships where football is the most popular actually have football coverage at all let alone the EPL.

If we look at another sport with a hard salary cap, American football Super Bowl winners over the last 20 years are:

Dallas Cowboys 1994, 1996
San Francisco 49ers 1995
Green Bay Packers 1997, 2011
Denver Broncos 1998, 1999
St Louis Rams 2000
Baltimore Ravens 2001, 2013
New England Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2003
Pittsburgh Steelers 2006, 2009
Indianapolis Colts 2007
New York Giants 2008, 2012
New Orleans Saints 2010

That's 12 different winners in 20 years (the free agency era) with only 3 teams winning back to back Super Bowls (the Cowboys also won in 1993). A further 10 teams have lost in the Super Bowl (Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers, Atlanta Falcons, Tennessee ***ans, Oakland Raiders, Carolina Panthers, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks, Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals). Out of a 32 teams league 69% of teams have played in the final game over the last 20 completed seasons with 38% of teams winning it. That's the sort of competition any league would want.

As a Leinster fan I'm delighted to have seen 3 ERC ***les in 4 seasons but for the sport in general, perhaps we should look to even the playing field and see all teams grow. I fear that money is going to buy the next few European crowns unless we're careful and that will be a hard trend to reverse as seen in European football's model.

I guess what it boils down to is that some folks dont mind Capitalism and others do.

Would love to continue chatting, but off to the bars in Pattaya to see the FA Cup games. Need to go quick to get a seat. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess what it boils down to is that some folks dont mind Capitalism and others do.
The NFL doesn't love capitalism? Interesting point of view...........

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/12/14/the-nfl-signs-tv-deals-worth-26-billion/

What the NFL figured out is that on a larger scale, they're in competition with other forms of entertainment rather than the small scale thinking of clubs being in competition with each other. Larger scale thinking won out. Visionaries like the Mara family who own the New York Giants in North America's biggest market realized that rather than bludgeon their on field competitors due to larger financial clout, they should all work together, grow their product as a whole and see where that took them.

50 years ago there were 14 NFL teams. There are now 32 teams with talks of adding sides in Los Angeles and London. I think there are 26 billion reasons showing how their model has worked! The average value of franchises is now north of $1billion and will only grow now that they're expanding outside North America.

Why can't that model of capitalism work in European rugby? I think the only thing stopping it would be self serving, short termist thinking which has riddled the sport (or more accurately the English speaking nations) for a long time. Keep minnows down in case they challenge the established order and don't even contemplate the additional revenue that can be gleamed from growing your base. In European rugby's top competition we're looking to cut the number of sides from 24 to 20. That's narrowing the base and increasing revenue for the few. Once again, short termism is winning out. Toulon and their ilk will be big fish in a small pond and rugby will stay a minority sport.

We all have reasons for following a certain team in a certain sport and it doesnt have to be because they play a better brand of the sport or because you come from that town/City/Region and you dont stop supporting them just because there are some overseas players in the side, I would say people who think like that should question why they bother supporting a team at all. In Super Rugby I follow the Hurricanes and The Waratarhs, Why? Because I liked the fact they were called the Tarhs and the Canes by the commentators and I have followed them for years on that basis. One thing I would never do is question someones support for a team because they are alien to me, its their choice who they support why should it matter to me?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/12/14/the-nfl-signs-tv-deals-worth-26-billion/

What the NFL figured out is that on a larger scale, they're in competition with other forms of entertainment rather than the small scale thinking of clubs being in competition with each other. Larger scale thinking won out. Visionaries like the Mara family who own the New York Giants in North America's biggest market realized that rather than bludgeon their on field competitors due to larger financial clout, they should all work together, grow their product as a whole and see where that took them.

50 years ago there were 14 NFL teams. There are now 32 teams with talks of adding sides in Los Angeles and London. I think there are 26 billion reasons showing how their model has worked! The average value of franchises is now north of $1billion and will only grow now that they're expanding outside North America.

Why can't that model of capitalism work in European rugby? I think the only thing stopping it would be self serving, short termist thinking which has riddled the sport (or more accurately the English speaking nations) for a long time. Keep minnows down in case they challenge the established order and don't even contemplate the additional revenue that can be gleamed from growing your base. In European rugby's top competition we're looking to cut the number of sides from 24 to 20. That's narrowing the base and increasing revenue for the few. Once again, short termism is winning out. Toulon and their ilk will be big fish in a small pond and rugby will stay a minority sport.

From now on I think I'll PM you my posts and you can rewrite my sentiments while providing examples, analogies and facts to make me sound more intelligent. Post of the thread.

Last edited:
I think the ***le should read "This is why I don't get sport clubs". RC Toulon represents RC Toulon, they don't represent France and there is no reason why they should care to develop players for the French national team.
It's just what happens when the supporters' money can afford more and better players than what the country can produce.

Fair enough Jim, in that it does seem to be the French teams that do this more than others. However, if PRL get their way, then IMO we will see English club rugby heading more towards what happens in the EPL, where sometimes "spot the Englishman" is no easy task. IIRC, the 2013/14 EPL season started with only 68 England qualified players; about three per team.

I'd have no objection to one or two "marquee" players in the Crusaders, but nine foreigners would make them no longer the Crusaders in my eyes. If I was a Toulon supporter from way back, they would lose me with this ridiculous state of affairs.

>>well this is Europe. Its not South island vs North island all right. Many Toulon diehards I have spoken with are delighted to have a team back at the Top. I have not heard many complain of their european ***le, how strange.

THIS, absolutely in spades!!! And what is more, they make these $billions on the back of a season that is only four months long, and where the maximum number of games any team can play is 21!!!

If we want the game to grow globally so that more countries play the game and more countries are capable of beating bigger teams more often, then the EPL/UEFA model of three or four rich clubs and hundreds of poor ones is NOT the way forward, and that is point I have been trying to make, that Jim, Prestwick and others have completely missed. The fact that few teams win the EPL isn't the problem, its simply indicative of the problem; the problem of vested interests such as club owners failing to understand the need to grow the game.

Now, do I want my club to grow and have a bigger piece of a small pie, or do I want my club to be part of a drive to make a bigger pie so that everyone has a bigger piece? Which is better for the game? The tribalist club system supporters fail to understand this. ZeFrenchie says "RC Toulon represents RC Toulon, they don't represent France and there is no reason why they should care to develop players for the French national team". I say that is a selfish & small-minded attitude to take, and will not lead to the growth of the game overall; it works against the creation of a bigger pie.

And how do we create a bigger pie?

Well, we can start by clubs competing against each other only on the field, but competing against other football codes and other forms of "sportainment" in the board-rooms! It should not be "how can I make my club bigger and better?"; it should be "how can I make the whole of rugby bigger and better?"

If you can achieve the latter, the former will follow automatically.

Anyway, I'd love to stay and chat, but the AFC Wildcard game (Kansas City v Indianapolis) is about to start.

Last edited:
THIS, absolutely in spades!!! And what is more, they make these $billions on the back of a season that is only four months long, and where the maximum number of games any team can play is 21!!!

If we want the game to grow globally so that more countries play the game and more countries are capable of beating bigger teams more often, then the EPL/UEFA model of three or four rich clubs and hundreds of poor ones is NOT the way forward, and that is point I have been trying to make, that Jim, Prestwick and others have completely missed. The fact that few teams win the EPL isn't the problem, its simply indicative of the problem; the problem of vested interests such as club owners failing to understand the need to grow the game.

Now, do I want my club to grow and have a bigger piece of a small pie, or do I want my club to be part of a drive to make a bigger pie so that everyone has a bigger piece? Which is better for the game? The tribalist club system supporters fail to understand this. ZeFrenchie says "RC Toulon represents RC Toulon, they don't represent France and there is no reason why they should care to develop players for the French national team". I say that is a selfish & small-minded attitude to take, and will not lead to the growth of the game overall; it works against the creation of a bigger pie.

And how do we create a bigger pie?

Well, we can start by clubs competing against each other only on the field, but competing against other football codes and other forms of "sportainment" in the board-rooms! It should not be "how can I make my club bigger and better?"; it should be "how can I make the whole of rugby bigger and better?"

If you can achieve the latter, the former will follow automatically.

Anyway, I'd love to stay and chat, but the AFC Wildcard game (Kansas City v Indianapolis) is about to start.

The whole NFL/North American franchising example is all well and good and sounds fantastic. But it isn't perfect. Far from it. While the NFL makes billions the fact remains that College Football - with many many more teams, more traditional rivalries and more factionalism and frankly has the same selfish naked self interest which you apparently despise in European club sport - is more popular, has more airtime on television and gets more promotion.

Basically a sport that can attract a Mel Brooks look-a-like to its prime time "College Game Day" TV programming instantly has more street cred than anything on the planet ;)

College sports (football and basketball especially) are so insanely popular that you have the peculiar occurrence of smaller colleges inviting the bigger giants to come along and pummel them simply to collect a big payday in TV and sponsorship revenue. Jobbing is lucrative in College sports.

All of this leaves the NFL, within America at least, a much maligned little brother. College football has the bigger gates (Michigan averages 111,000 a game and Penn State 109,000 in 2007), the bigger, more committed fanbases and actually more coverage in parts of the media. You could say College Football is Union in New Zealand while the NFL is League ;)

And the reason for this success? Teams and rivalries with decades, even over a century of history which leads to legions of committed fans far more fanatical than any franchise could ever hope to have.

Its the very tribalism that you hate that makes College Football the most watched and lucrative forms of sport entertainment in America.

And for all the so called lovey dovey, friendly fraternal brotherhood "how can I make the whole of *insert sport here* bigger and better" crap, the NFL and its owners can be as selfish as any European club owner.

Who said the NFL doesn't like capitalism? Its that very greed which causes them to take teams from their traditional fanbases and move them around!

Do you wonder why LA haven't got a team? Because the NFL took the Raiders away from them. And before that the NFL took them away from Oakland to move them to LA. So thats two sets of communities, two sets of fans frankly messed around and made to look stupid while the people who run the game in America keep pushing the teams around the country trying to make the biggest buck possible. They try and wring the most $$$ out of city and state governments and then screw them over if the returns don't meet their expectations.

And as for hockey, why don't you go to Quebec City and ask them about the Nordiques and how they were taken away from them and moved out of the bloody country to DENVER because they weren't making enough money. Obviously for the good of the game, eh?

And why isn't there an international form of American Football? Because the NFL would never allow the player release to make it meaningful and worthwhile. The whole franchise system revolves around making the league, not the sport as a whole, the league as big as it can be and make as much money as possible.

Interestingly, MLS is slowly going that way as well. Gradually becoming more insular as it finds that it has a big enough market at home to tap and doesn't need to worry about things like regional competitions.

I understood the point you were trying to make - that a small number of teams winning the same thing over and over again is indicative of a larger problem - but you missed my points:

1. The Super 15 isn't exactly a championship winning bonanza itself for all 15 teams.
2. The fact that you're a Crusaders fan kind of leads me to believe that your team following clouds your judgement and that if you were, say, a Western Force fan or a Golden Lions fan perhaps, you'd have a rather less rosy view of the supposed superiority of the Super 15 over European competitions.

I think all competitions mentioned here - the AP, T14, S15, American franchising - have their merits but they also have their deficiencies. Of course they do.

I think the real reason why you don't "get" NH Club rugby is probably the same reason why I don't "get" SH franchise rugby or North American sports franchises: its thousands of miles away from you, what you're used to and you can't relate to those teams you know little about. I have no intention of picking a favourite team in the Super 15 because I have no idea about their histories, where they come from, their fans. Nothing.

I tried following the Canadiens in Hockey but they're too far away, their games are late at night and I can't really relate to them. Ditto any NFL team to be honest.

I follow Saracens because they're my local team, I can relate to them as a PROPER RUGBY CLUB ( :p ) and their traditions and history. They have gimmicks, etc but there isn't anything wrong in giving free entry to those in fancy dress, etc. I feel I belong at Sarries and I know where they've come from.

I wouldn't be able to do that with some plastic franchise suddenly created out of nowhere. I'm sure Welsh rugby fans wouldn't be able to relate to the WRU's proposed franchises if the Regions walk out and join the Aviva Premiership.

Ireland's teams may be Union controlled franchises but they're really Provinces with history and traditions all of which commands respect and adoration from their fans. Adoration which wouldn't be forthcoming if the IRFU dumped all of that and created the "Cork Cannonballs" or the "Dublin Ducks" or whatever the crap.

I like my club rugby just fine, thank you very much and nothing is going to change that.

No international game......

No international game......
Which is why you adapt a model and don't lift it wholesale.

Ice hockey also has the same model and marries it with an international game. The National Hockey League has just signed a monstrous TV deal in Canada for the English language rights nearly three times the size of the previous deal and is talking about expanding back into Quebec City (which as Prestwick said lost it's franchise due to financial reasons in the mid '90s), Las Vegas, Seattle and a second team in the Toronto metro area.

Major League Soccer also carries a similar model in conjunction with an international game. That league has expanded in the last decade from 10 teams to 19 and has announced that two new franchises will be added next season. It is expected to sign a new TV more than double the size of the existing deal in the coming months.

I follow Saracens because they're my local team, I can relate to them as a PROPER RUGBY CLUB ( :p ) and their traditions and history. They have gimmicks, etc but there isn't anything wrong in giving free entry to those in fancy dress, etc. I feel I belong at Sarries and I know where they've come from.

I wouldn't be able to do that with some plastic franchise suddenly created out of nowhere. I'm sure Welsh rugby fans wouldn't be able to relate to the WRU's proposed franchises if the Regions walk out and join the Aviva Premiership.

Ireland's teams may be Union controlled franchises but they're really Provinces with history and traditions all of which commands respect and adoration from their fans. Adoration which wouldn't be forthcoming if the IRFU dumped all of that and created the "Cork Cannonballs" or the "Dublin Ducks" or whatever the crap.

I like my club rugby just fine, thank you very much and nothing is going to change that.
I could be wrong but I don't think smartcooky is advocating the creation of new teams. Saracens would take part in the new league and their rivalries against teams like Quins, Wycombe Wasps and Plastic Paddies would be preserved in a division of the new pan-European competition.

I've no doubt that the Welsh fans would find new teams hard to get behind but how is that any different to the regions being created out of nowhere 10 years ago? Ideally it won't come to that and the Scarlets, Ospreys, Blues and Dragons will continue as WRU backed teams. Creating a new set of regions would be a farce in my opinion.

On Irish provinces, I think their historical support bases is largely a myth. In the early '90s the AIL was far better supported than interpro games with Shannon getting crowds around the 10,000 mark in the domestic club competition. Saying the Irish public have a historical attachment to the provinces is a convenient argument forwarded by the press when explaining how we "fell" into the pro game. Historically clubs like Shannon, Garryowen, Cork Con, Wanderers, Lansdowne Inst, North and Ballymena was where people had more emotional attachment. Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Connacht as entities aren't much more significant to the sporting public than Glamorgan, Carmarthenshire, Monmouthshire or any of the other 13 historical counties of Wales. What we want is high level pro rugby in our area and I'm in the area represented by Leinster. Simple as that. Now that I'm a Leinster fan I'll happily reflect on the impact of players like Ollie Campbell, Fergus Slattery, Karl Mullen and Phil Ronnie Dawson but their past achievements have nothing to do with the team I chose to support. Maybe I'm in the minority.

On the relocation front, it is unarguable that it's a part of the North American sporting fabric. Taking the sport I'm most familiar with, in the last 50 years there have been a total of 6 relocations (from Oakland, Baltimore, St Louis, LA x2 and Houston) in the NFL. All bar LA have a team today with talks ongoing to get an expansion team there before too long.

I believe a European competition is the best way to expand into new territories. The present model will never allow new European leagues become strong enough to sustain teams in ERC or RCC top level competitions. The established leagues are already too far ahead of the rest for that to happen. With a pan-European league we can move into new areas like Georgia, western Germany, Romania, northern Spain, Belgium one team at a time and give them the stability of knowing they're there to stay rather than drop down after a season. Everybody can make money that way too by adding large new territories to media rights packages.

I also fully accept that the majority are skeptical about this point of view!

Wouldnt be so skeptical if I had seen real development in Spain, Romania etc since the creation of the HC and Amlin but I hav'nt. I would go as far as to say the domestic game in Italy, Scotland and Wales have gone backwards.

Wouldnt be so skeptical if I had seen real development in Spain, Romania etc since the creation of the HC and Amlin but I hav'nt. I would go as far as to say the domestic game in Italy, Scotland and Wales have gone backwards.
This is largely due to the self interests of the 6 Nations in not looking to help anyone beyond their borders in my opinion. A Romanian team took part in the first European Cup before being cut adrift. The sport has developed too much in the intervening years for a strong Romanian league to develop and compete with the Pro 12, Top 14 or Premiership. I think the sport should be nurtured in that country (Georgia is the other Eastern European country which should get the same if not more help) with the 6 Nations taking turns to play tests there every summer. As it stands a Romanian stand alone team would likely fail in a single European competition due to lack of interest.

Spain's best shot at getting a team is via a Basque or Catalonia team (I'm fully aware that they hate being called Spanish!). A Basque team seems likely to be formed via a meger between Biarritz and Bayonne. A Catalonian team could spring up out of Perpignan who have played in Barcelona in the past. I wouldn't expect a team playing in a city other than Barcelona or San Sebastián/Donostia for a long time but it could open up a new market for rugby with approximately 10 million people living between those regions.

This is obviously something to be considered down the line when they can be supported financially and not immediately.

Correct, you aren't wrong!

As his rant shows, he has completely failed to understand what I mean.

I didn't say that, I was saying that adopting a North American franchising model would inevitably mean either new franchises replacing older existing clubs or moving existing club "brands" elsewhere to basically wherever they can make the most money.

Moving on from banding around words like "rant" and so forth (did you want an answer or didn't you? :huh: ) I'll take up the baton and join Snoopy in saying a pan-european league would be the best way to go. Do away with FIRA and create a bigger, properly staffed and funded version (free of FFR domination) and base it in Geneva. An organisation all the traditional amateur era European powerhouses like Romania and Georgia can get behind.

A pan-european league using existing clubs, regions and provinces should and will happen.

Correct, you aren't wrong!

As his rant shows, he has completely failed to understand what I mean.

I think that is a rather insulting responce to what was a well thought out and knowledgeable post on the sports systems of North America. It seems that whenever someone has a differing opinion to you its because they " failed to understand what I mean". Have you ever thought they do understand what you mean and just see things differently?

Im quite bemused that some talk about the financial gains involved in US sport and try to promote that as a good reason to adopt their systems. I think the fact they have a population of over 300m helps a fair bit with regards attendances and monies from commercial aspects like advertising and merchandise. Only the English and French can get anywhere near this in Rugby. Its why they are still able to have a standalone domestic league even if it is still at a minority level compared to football.

Now im not totally against a region/franchise system, if it was set up as Ratsapprentice suggesting, to just play in the Eurocomp. But i have my doubts as to whether/how long it would take off amongst fans the same as can be seen in Wales. It would have to be carefully thought out which i doubt is capable with the current incumbents in the English game. But i also note, that so far in rugby, no region/franchise system has been able to succeed on a standalone basis. Even the much vaunted NZ system would come under pressure if it wasnt for the sanzar group.

Latest posts