• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MMA/UFC thread

Yup, 3-2 Reyes for me too
2nd was close so I guess I could understand a 48-47 Jones but that 49-46 was shameful

Two fights in a row with very suspect judging for Jones

Last edited:
Finally got around to watching (as just not that excited for it)... 3-2 Reyes! Great fight though.

Was talking about this earlier today with some people: have you ever seen/heard of a combat sport where the scorecards are revealed at the end of each round?
Imagine if at the end of each round in say, mma, judges would have to publicly submit their socres for everyone to see (fighters, audience, etc).

I see it as a win/win/win/win. Less speculation, less unpleasant surprises, and it gives the one behind the knowledge to decide when and how much to risk. More information would give the one losing a better shot.

Has this ever been done?
Every argument against this i could think of is unscrupulous to say the least. Every single one.

Yeah there's been increasingly more calls for that to happen in MMA - Rogan has mentioned it a couple of times and I think Max Holloway tweeted it after the event this weekend.

As you say: I can't see any reason not to

Was talking about this earlier today with some people: have you ever seen/heard of a combat sport where the scorecards are revealed at the end of each round?
Imagine if at the end of each round in say, mma, judges would have to publicly submit their socres for everyone to see (fighters, audience, etc).

I see it as a win/win/win/win. Less speculation, less unpleasant surprises, and it gives the one behind the knowledge to decide when and how much to risk. More information would give the one losing a better shot.

Has this ever been done?
Every argument against this i could think of is unscrupulous to say the least. Every single one.
Amateur boxing do it don't they? Used to be a live scoreboard before that, and no one is satisfied with that lot! But they literally don't care if they're seen to be as corrupt as ****!

I don't even think the judges make bad calls due to corruption... I honestly think their just plain ****.

I don't even think the judges make bad calls due to corruption... I honestly think their just plain ****.
Lack of training is a big thing

Most of them are boxing judges given a crash course in MMA judging.

It'll get better as MMA increases in age, but atm the majority are just career long boxing judges supplied by the athletic commission, turning up for a paycheque

Lack of training is a big thing

Most of them are boxing judges given a crash course in MMA judging.

It'll get better as MMA increases in age, but atm the majority are just career long boxing judges supplied by the athletic commission, turning up for a paycheque
Yeah it's ridiculous really, when you consider how many more facets there are to consider within MMA.

I know there have been some talks about getting ex-fighters into reffing and judging but apparently the tribal rivalries between the various gyms and camps would make it pretty much untenable. Gotta be better than what we've got though.

Did you guys see the Diego Sanchez fight? Good bloody lord.
I understand it's his job, but that was so sad to watch. To think this guy was THE up and coming fighter once and ends up having that conversation with the ref.
I get he has money on the line and everything, but that was so painful to watch. "so if i say i cant continue, i win?"
If you wanted to script an embarrassing moment in an mma fight, i don't think you could come up with something as dismal and pathetic.

I know this comes straight from captain obvious' mouth, but fighters do not age well. They should retire early and avoid comebacks like the plague.

The worst part is: if the UFC cuts him/refuses to book him he'll go to bellator or Bare Knuckle because he thinks he's still got it/fighting is all he knows.

A lot of these guys need saving from themselves - BJ Penn is the same. Getting knocked out outside dive bars in Hawaii

I was thinking the same.
My dream fight has been Khabib vs GSP but part of me wants to avoid it for that reason. I know GSP is a freak and i don't see him embarrassing himself in any circumstance, but still, i would hate him to end up like bj/Liddell.

Rephrase: my dream fight would be Khabib vs GSP, both at his best. I think GSP is way past his best.

BTW, you guys recall when Diego was calling out Conor? Can you imagine that fight? Hahah.

They could do it behind closed doors.
I'd like to see the income from tickts vs TV/online compared to other sports.
Rugby (SR) and footie (UCL) are being played behind closed doors.

Tickets is next to nothing compared to PPV revenue,
The only issue I could see is the venue itself having an issue due to lost drinks/food sales

UFC could hold it in their new set up they've built for Contender series - full sized cage, minimal seating, full tech/camera set up. Would be ideal

Last edited:
With the coronavirus shutting team sports down, UFC has taken center stage on ESPN+. Their streaming bouts 24/7.

UFC London apparently being moved and held behind closed doors - possibly going to the BT sport studio like that cage warriors card that was on before McGregor vs Alvarez

So dana is adament that khabib v ferguson is still going to happen on april 19th even willing to take bets on it.
Maybe he knows trump on a personal level and hes done a deal who knows? But how does one of the most anticipated bouts of the last decade take place without a meaningful crowd.
As much as I would love to see the fight * I think ferguson wins) It would be a huge disservice to both pros to conclude this in a empty arena..

Might happen in Dubai, I heard - they're so keen to have it they might just have that one fight, not a full event.

Whole thing is pretty mental, I'm with you - as much as I want to see the fight (and I think Khabib runs through Tony pretty easily, and I'm a huge Tony fan), delay it until things have calmed down. Does a disservice to them and the whole spectacle of the sport.

Absolutely.

On the fight I just think it will take an unorthodox style to beat khabib.Tony has amazing cardio so I know he his stamina will stand up. What khabib does is wear an opponent down and hes an absolute master of his craft and if he gets hold of tony he will be in trouble. I just believe tony has the awkwardness to throw off khabib show him feints and catch him unsuspectingly and its always those shots you don't see coming that give you the most trouble. I am confident tony gives khabib his first L but lets come back here after the fight and see how wrong I was :oops:

Tony is the most unorthodox fighter khabib has ever fought.
khabib is the best fighter tony has ever fought.
Should be great!:D

Latest posts