• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MMA/UFC thread

He just retired!

I thought he would when his father first passed, but I thought, after he came back, he'd retire at 30-0

One of the G.O.A.Ts fo sho

Kind of puts the LW division in a cloud for a bit - hard to take whoever wins the vacant belt seriously as champ when you know Khabib has dominated everyone so easily

That was brutal.
Nothing but respect for the man, and whoever has been reading the thread know how much I admire his talent, but can't help feeling bad for Ferguson. I dont think he would beat Khabib, but he'd have a better shot than anyone else.

And i think we will all agree this is a man of his word who wont come back from this, so that's it for arguably the greatest mma fighter i have seen.

Yeah, Khabib vs Tony will be one of the biggest whatifs in MMA history

I think the Tony that fought Justin would get steamrolled, but the Tony/Khabib fight that ended up being Khabib vs Iaquinta (the one where Tony ruined his knee tripping on the cable) - that would've been very intriguing.

Yeah, Khabib vs Tony will be one of the biggest whatifs in MMA
Hmm ..Gaethje smashed Ferguson and Nurmagomedov beat Gaethje..I don't know :rolleyes:

Have just heard his speech about retirement.. that's so sad

Last edited:
Hmm ..Gaethje smashed Ferguson and Nurmagomedov beat Gaethje..I don't know :rolleyes:
It was initially scheduled in 2015, and has repeatedly been rescheduled and cancelled since
Like I said: Tony now would lose handily - but over the last 5 years he's taken a huge amount of damage and his knee injury was very serious and he came back too soon from it (even Khabib said Tony is a different fighter after the knee injury and will never be at the top again).
Roll it back a few years and it's interesting.
I've always said Khabib beats Tony, and I stand by that, but I think a prime Tony has the most questions for Khabib of any fighter at lightweight.

Styles make fights.

I would bet on Khabib beating Tony (just read the thread), but i would also bet on Khabib not being able to submit Tony. It'd be easier, much easier for Khabib to get Tony to the ground. Probably ground and pound him too. But
1) Submit him? I dont think so.
2) I don't think there is a lot of damage JG can deliver from the bottom. Khabib didn't look as if he was worried about getting caught in a submission or something during transitions. The closest you can get to "being comfortable fighting from his back" is Tony.

AND, and this is important too, JG's standup is conditioned by preventing being taken down. He is always on his back foot. Tony doesn't care. Don't get me wrong, that could be his downfall too, but it's what gives him a shot. A long shot but shot nonetheless.

even Khabib said Tony is a different fighter after the knee injury and will never be at the top again
Yes, true,also heard it.

Maybe you and Cruz_del_Sur are right.. anyway, would be better for Khabib to make 30:0 instead of 29:0, but Khabib vs JG was better and more convenient for the final fight (before the retirement) than that nightmare Khabib vs McGregor

The UFC don't care as long as he brings in the money, and as much as he's a massive sack of **** he's still got a huge fanbase

The most disappointing thing is:
Even though I'm a huge Poirier fan I reckon McGregor KOs him quite easily.
He'll then do the same thing he did after the Alvarez fight and disappear for 18 months to go play at being a boxer and hold up the division again.

Oh dear McGregor might be fighting for a belt in Jan...............................
With Poirier you mean? I thought they planned it for December, but I don't really follow UFC news
Yes, McGregor is very popular. Honestly, I think sometimes he just plays a "bad boy" to get this fame

Aye, he's a POS with a marketing team that works very hard to try and clean his image
His tweet last night was 100000% sent by his manager and not him

Really?? I'm interested now :eek: o_O
Detailsdetailsdetails!!!!

And plenty more rumours from those who live in Dublin and see/hear of his antics

Less than a 1K quid for a pro fighter punching someone? After starting the fight like the video shows?
Other than self-defense, i don't get it. The punishment should be exemplary. First time, assuming no catastrophic damage on the victim, make him pay a ridiculous amount. Nothing south of 50K. Second and onwards, jail time, no exceptions.

It's not just in Ireland thou.

@TRF_Olyy ah, I see, really horrible..I was expecting more drugs/alcohol/money problems than sex scandals though.
Khabib's reputation is definitely better,but he was also involved in a couple of scandals last years (he admired some very controversial historical figures in his social networks) and he's not that popular anymore. But thankfully nothing like sexual assaults etc etc

I was expecting more drugs/alcohol
Aye there's plenty of talk of that, these are just the stories that made the papers

Khabib has definitely had some controversial moments (he has some very strict religious views that are not very palatable in this day and age), as you said, but nothing anywhere near this level.

Less than a 1K quid for a pro fighter punching someone? After starting the fight like the video shows?
Other than self-defense, i don't get it. The punishment should be exemplary. First time, assuming no catastrophic damage on the victim, make him pay a ridiculous amount. Nothing south of 50K. Second and onwards, jail time, no exceptions.

It's not just in Ireland thou.
Exemplary damages are rare here. I'd guess that case only went to court because the claimant/victim was trying to rinse McGregor for an extortionate amount.
Cases like that are usually settled or mediated to save costs and time and a judge would be very reluctant to give exemplary damages if a reasonable settlement offer had been turned down.

McGregor also had a run in with one of the country's largest drug gangs too if I remember correctly, I'm fairly sure it was reported but it could have been one of the numerous things that does the rounds on WhatsApp.

Latest posts