• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MMA/UFC thread

Khabib has definitely had some controversial moments (he has some very strict religious views that are not very palatable in this day and age), as you said, but nothing anywhere near this level.

Let me play devil's advocate for a sec. "In This day an age for" you and me, born and raised the way we were. Would you say your views would be different from his had you been brought up with him? In that part of the world?
I am not sure (about myself).

One of the things I found interesting is how he managed to adapt himself to his new life (pro athlete, money, fame, etc.) while trying to use that to give a good example (trying being the keyword).
He's said in press conf that he knows given his position he needs to set the example, but he is not perfect, which i think is fair. I don't think many non-partisan fans judge him harshly for what he did after the McG fight.

I also find it very, very hard to empathise with him in a lot of things, but mainly because we were brought up in such different environments.
I see two things that i like about his personality and that are quite rare in his line of business. First, he is a man of his word and second, he appears to believe mma is about the fight and not the hype. I like both of those stances. A lot. Especially when more money can be made acting otherwise.

Well he's come out today with an anti-Macron statement, calling on God to disfigure him and his followers who preach freedom of speech,

The UFC brass probably happy he's retired atm, cuts any awkward questions from ESPN etc.

Well he's come out today with an anti-Macron statement, calling on God to disfigure him and his followers who preach freedom of speech,

The UFC brass probably happy he's retired atm, cuts any awkward questions from ESPN etc.
Link? Upbringing and conservatism is no excuse for being absolute scum

Yeah... that's why I said before he's not..hmm..very popular in Russia (outside our Muslim republics). Even during his fight with McGregor, most of positive comments in Russian were for McGregor and most of negative comments - for him

I stand corrected. Bloody hell.

I have to ask: would you say that this is "about the same/worse/not as" bad as Folau's postings?

FTR, i think it is considerably worse.

I have to ask: would you say that this is "about the same/worse/not as" bad as Folau's postings
Difficult to say..
Khabib could do much better anyway, he could add condolences to the relatives of those victims and say something like..hmm..those terrorists have nothing in common with his religion because in Islam it's prohibited to kill people in cathedrals,so these are not Muslims but terrorists. Something like that would be better.
I believe he's not bad,but as a media person he has to be more accurate with his posts/words, IMO.

My criteria is quite simple: Folau condemned people he "disagreed with" to hell. Lets put some meat to the bone here, for argument's sake. Hell, as in the hell Foaul condensed people to, is an imaginary place that only exists if and only if you share his belief system. If you dont, you are free to disregard his belief, saying, the lot and move along. He is in no way incentivizing people to physically harm anyone. You can even call Folau's god a farce, a disgrace, an impostor and (arguably) his response will be the same: you will burn in hell. I think Folau is an idiot, but i am fine with the above. I don't like it but a) i believe he has and should have the right to believe that and b) from a practical perspective i don't think banning what he says is going to change what he thinks, believes or feels, which is the heart of the issue here.

And, and here is the kicker, he said nothing about disfiguring people's faces in this life.

The difference, in my book, is nor minor, nor subtle nor irrelevant. Quite the contrary. I would be willing to argue for him had he said something along the lines "he will receive his punishment from god" or something like that. You could argue something along the same lines of what i did regarding Folau above.
But no, he was very, very specific about the type of punishment (quite an earthly one) and when. That was no accident.

What worries me is that i am not convinced he is part of a minority here. Did you guys read what the PM from Malaysia posted? And the replies. Not from anonymous accounts with 3 followers.
Mental, psychiatric ward material.
Anyway, i digress.

Hope I'm wrong, because I'm a huuuuuuge Poirier fan, but I can see tonight being a pretty easy KO for McGregor
Poirier has improved massively since their first fight but still loves to brawl/take a punch to give a punch - the amount of damage he took against hooker: it'll take a fraction of that from McGregor to put him out.

Dana's whole crusade against piracy for this card is pretty hilarious as well - like he thinks one guy is responsible for all porscy and he's wiretapped his phones or something?
Guy is living in a dream world

I'm so surprised!!! McGregor looked much stronger before.. what did happen to him..

I'm a huuuuuuge Poirier fan,
Why? I didn't really notice him before, just remember he lost to McGregor for the first time and he lost to Khabib as well. Poirier looked really impressive this time though. Would be interesting to see him against Khabib

Great fighter, does a lot of work with charity (and runs his own) - never heard anyone have a bad word to say about him as a person

I'm so surprised!!! McGregor looked much stronger before.. what did happen to him..
Fell in love with his boxing - he used to bounce in and out of range so quickly with a bladed karate stance, you could never land anything on him and the danger was always there of him flicking kicks out of his own
Since he's gone back to his old boxing gym/brought those guys in as his main coaches he has a more traditional boxing stance and leans really heavily on his lead leg - Poirier chopped his leg down until he could barely put any weight on it, meaning his movement was compromised and he couldn't put any power into his shots

He needs to decide whether he wants to give his full attention to boxing or MMA because you can't do MMA half heartedly

I can't stand the Pitbull brothers,
Juicer the gills, smashing cans and acting like they're untouchable

In UFC news: I can't wait for Edwards vs Diaz.
It's crazy matchmaking, but if it gets more eyes on Leon then I'm happy with it. First 5 round co main as well, which is cool.
I'm guessing they've made it so whoever wins can fight Masvidal next - Masvidals stock is dropping, and it'll drop even more after Usman dominates him for a second time. Both Edwards and Diaz have history with him so they'll be able to squeeze the last of relevance from him

I can't stand the Pitbull brothers,
Juicer the gills, smashing cans and acting like they're untouchable

In UFC news: I can't wait for Edwards vs Diaz.
It's crazy matchmaking, but if it gets more eyes on Leon then I'm happy with it. First 5 round co main as well, which is cool.
I'm guessing they've made it so whoever wins can fight Masvidal next - Masvidals stock is dropping, and it'll drop even more after Usman dominates him for a second time. Both Edwards and Diaz have history with him so they'll be able to squeeze the last of relevance from him
Yeah, why they haven't made the Masvidal vs Edwards match yet is insane... I have a lot of confidence that Edwards will beat Diaz and just as much confidence that Usman will beat Masvidal, which in my mind leads to Diaz vs Mas 2 and Usman vs Edwards 2. When the easiest, most fun and possibly biggest from a fan perspective would've been Edwards vs Mas for number 1 contender.

When the easiest, most fun and possibly biggest from a fan perspective would've been Edwards vs Mas for number 1 contender.
Definitely,
There's a lot of great matchups at welterweight, they just don't seem to be getting made because Colby and Masvidal are divas

Realistically the ***le fight should be Usman vs Colby 2,
While Woodley is a shadow of his former self at least Colby has gotten out there and got a dominant win since his (pretty evenly matched) ***le fight
When they made Usman vs Masvidal 2 then they should've put Colby vs either Edwards or Wonderboy on the same card as a ***le shot eliminator, and then booked Burns vs the odd one out as a fight night card headliner

Chris Weidman got Anderson Silva'd!

Couldn't make it up - seen it happen twice in the UFC and he was involved in both

Absolutely horrendous to watch, felt sick as a dog after seeing it

Latest posts