• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Montpellier new signings

gaston le gaff

First XV
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Montpellier
Montpellier Herault Rugby new signings Rene Ranger and Robert Ebersohn both landed at Montpellier airport yesterday to be met by head coach Fabien Galthie, with a 3 week break before the next game at home to Castres, Montpellier will have the time to get both ready for a possible first appearance at the end of the month.
Both players commented on how they were happy to be here, Montpellier are still waiting the arrival of Sitaleki Timani the Aussie 2 / 3 row player who is hopefully arriving after the Autumn Internationals.

Would you be going 12Ebersohn, 13Ranger (arguably the two standout centers in those positions in this year's Super Rugby comp- both highly entertaining players! Ebersohn's elusiveness and Ranger's power game while both like to keep play alive) or will you be looking at playing Ranger on the wing?

I can't see Ranger on the wing unless we had multiple injuries as Anthony Tiutavake would be able to cover that position, (we have 4 wingers) but with Wynand Olivier, Thomas Combezou, Anthony Tiutavake, players will create good competion between themselves and it will also help with player rotation which is always necessary as the TOP 14 is very tough as everyone knows, as you said it would be i think 12, 13, in that order to use Ranger's power on the outside, will have to wait until the 30th Nov to see if they play their first game . More than likely they could start on the bench for the next game against Castres.

Ebherson or Ranger>>>>>>Wynand Olivier or Combezou.

edit: Btw Gaston, do the MHR foreign players learn french or they speak english on the field? Lineout and backline calls for instance.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Ze Frenchy here. I don't know Combezou but I've never really rated Olivier and always threw my hands up in the air if he jogged out for the Springboks. He looked good(ish) for the Bulls at times but IMO that is due to a Fourie du Preez in top form putting him into space. He is an able enough defender though or at least used to be.

Ebersohn and Ranger on the other hand are the type of players that can create something from nothing. Ebersohn is a little light in defense (TBF he has improved) though but with FTD a capable defensive 10 and Ranger a monster in defence (how unfair he has it all!- he not just tackles hard but turns the ball over 1/3 of the time) at 13 it'll take pressure off of Ebersohn who had to do double duty on D at the Free State Cheetahs.

All our Foreign players are given French lessons and the language on the field is French called by scrum half of Francois Trinh-Duc at 10. When they all learn the calls we should have a back line to be feared by all HOPEFULLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just been down the club and the 2 players were being kitted out and having the usual physical tess....... make sur they have 2 arms 2 legs etc.....

All our Foreign players are given French lessons and the language on the field is French called by scrum half or Francois Trinh-Duc at 10. When they all learn the calls we should have a back line to be feared by all HOPEFULLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just been down the club and the 2 players were being kitted out and having the usual physical tests....... make sur they have 2 arms 2 legs etc.....

..............any houses available for next winter in Montpellier?!!

No problem we have a gite which is empty in winter so mates rates will apply, just send the cheque and i will do the rest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts