Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Hi guys,
I'm heading to London the first weekend of September to see two rugby games:

Wasps vs. Harlequins & London irish vs Saracens

I don't know that much about those teams, except most of them play in London city :D
Andrew Mehrtens used to play for the Harlequins and Chris Jack played until 2009 for the Saracens.

I checked out the club websites but as the season hasn't started yet their is no roster available yet.

cheers.

For one only 1 of those teams play in London.

Wasps play in High Wycombe
London Irish play in Reading
Saracans play in Watford

Each is about 1-2 hours away from London by train. Or are those the Twickers games, if so ignore me :lol:

It are the Twickers games.
I know Pete is a fan of the Saracens but just because he is a fan I'm not that convinced to cheer for them as well :)

wasp were a good side a few years back now there pretty average. Saracens are pretty good and everybody can see that something special is happening there, most of the team are from SA. London Irish are again pretty average they have a few good players but noting to flashy. Quins same as London Irish.

On form, London irish are one of the best teams in Europe. off form, their a very average-looking outfit. Sarries are the side everyone loves to hate, with one multiple occasions more South Africans taking the field than Englishmen, and they all proceeded to kick the ball a lot. However, they reinvented themselves in the last few weeks of the last season and started scoring tries. As said, Wasps where a very good side, but have began to fall away. Quins have some very good players, but don't play as a very good team. A bit like the Ospreys-lite.

SO I should follow in Pete's footstep and cheer for the Saracens.
Ah will see.

thanks for the feedback.

Which are the top players to follow?

for LI ime not sure if he playing but Steffan Armatage Scaces the hooker can't reber his name he he is south african tho. not sure about Wasp and Quins

No, do not under any circumstances support Saracens. The amount of whinging we've heard from them over the last year or so has been insufferable. London Irish are supposedly the most attractive of the 4 teams and with the likes of Hodgeson, Lamb, Mapusua, Armitage, Ojo and Tagicakibau to draw from in the back divisions they should serve up so entertaining stuff. I'd cheer for them against SAracens.

The other game should be pretty close. Wasps are in a serious rebuilding phase, as they have been for the last few years now. Quins on the other hand are a bit one dimensional imo. Everything they do seems to depend on Nick Evans. Mind you, that's no bad thing. I can't pick a winner from these two but I guess I'd go for Quins if pushed (No one likes Wasps)

Hehe,

I will see how many beers I have before the game. Maybe I will just cheer for every try scored. Altho the Quins are getting my attention. Saw some of their games when Mehrtens still played there.

All of the teams should have some players you'll recognise, from international rugby:
Wasps have players like Simon Shaw, Riki Flutey, Joe Worsely, Irish have the Armitage brothers (Mike Catt will probably be in the stadium/on the sidelines as well), Quins have Danny Care and Ugo Monye and Saracens have the entire South Africa 'A' team

So should be a good day out (it's the double header isn't it, so two games in one day?)

Last edited:
for LI ime not sure if he playing but Steffan Armatage Scaces the hooker can't reber his name he he is south african tho. not sure about Wasp and Quins

Schalke Brtis ... awesome player.

Id support Quins but the Saracens / Irish game should be a good one.

London Irish are my Premiership team o' choice. It was the first rugby jersey I ever got.

London Irish are my Premiership team o' choice. It was the first rugby jersey I ever got.

My first game ever was Clermont vs ? when I just finished high school and went to a work holiday in the Southern part of France ( When my French was still ok) good game, good vibe, great weather.

London Irish have a physically strong team and when playing on form havesome great runners. strangely London Irish have less Irish players then other premiership teams now a days. I think Bob casey is now the only Irish starting player but he is the captain.

Thanks for the info, I reckon I will just enjoy the game and learn something about NH teams

Saracens are by a considerable margin the strongest of the "London" clubs these days, although there is an air of arrogance around them (thanks most in part to Brendan Venter and Eddie Griffiths) these days which gets up a lot of peoples noses. Find the old-school Fez-heads instead of the Jonny-come-lately soccer-convert fans though and they're a pretty good bunch. Brits and Goode are their key players to look out for.

Wasps are a funny lot. Always won due to loopholes in the Premiership by regularly finishing 3rd then winning the playoffs, they're generally unpopular although again there are a lot of really good fans in their camp. The team is **** poor however and likely to be even worse this season. Joe Simpson is the man to watch. Flutey is returning and should link well with Walduck. Varndell likely to score although he's ****.

Quins can beat anyone when they're firing, but since the Bloodgate incident have peen perennially under-achieving. Also wear the most recognisable and distinctive shirts in any sport. Nick Evans and Chris Robshaw are the players to watch.

Irish have great players throughout the team and have played some really good rugby up until around Christmas last year, and they're one of the more popular teams because their fans like a good party. Nobdy is sure how to size them up yet though as they've been so hit and miss of late. Steffon Armitage is the man to watch. Delon Armitage is the man to laugh at. Toby Booth is the coach to have a moan.

I'm a Saracens fan, so I'll tell you about them. They had a brilliant season last time around, being Premiership runners-up to Leicester Tigers.

Ok, cheers.
If you have any other good tips etc...

Always welcome.

Latest posts