• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster v Leinster

Agreed on both points.
Elsom and O'Driscoll outstanding. Absolutely complete performance from them.

They were the weakest semi-finalists given what had gone on before this stage, but now they're going into the final the favourites after beating arguably the best club side on the planet. Amazing. One of the best games all season. Congrats Leinster.

Starting to understand it is just fair that we have no french club in the semis. I have rarely seen such a level in every compartment of the game. Leinster deserve it all the way, hope they win the HC now

Well done to Leinster, Munster were awful. Cardiff vs Leinster final anyone? With Cardiff thrashing Leinster?

Munster Munstered. Never seen them crushed like that in a big game. Even when they're losing they still push all the way, but today every hope got nipped by a mistake under pressure.

I understand Mafi/Earls getting out-mastered by the masters, but what happened in the pack - lineout, breakdown, even the scrum - was shocking. And the pick and go/mauling looked like the probables v impossibles.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ May 3 2009, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well done to Leinster, Munster were awful. Cardiff vs Leinster final anyone? With Cardiff thrashing Leinster?[/b]

Lot of talk about Lunsters. For the next three weeks I'm a Meinster.

Will be very happy to see BOD lift the cup. He's in the third phase of his career - First was HTF did he score that? Second, HTF did he defend that? Third, HTF does he do both at the same time?

Good luck to him and all the Leinsters and Lunsters and whatever. Happy days to come.

Just back from the pub and I have to say my inclination from during th week was right. Leinster don't lose to the same team three times running. Avoided this thread to avoid humble pie. And I'm glad of it.

Firstly congratulations to Leinster. They were emense today. Their back row was thought a lesson in the last two Munster-Leinster matches and it was truely taken on board. They played with style with Bod'D'Arcy both playing that extra flanker thing they do so well. Earls and Mafi thought that lesson we all knew was coming. Mafi needs to learn to that there's other options to doing it himself.

Criticism of Earls for the D'Arcy try I felt was unfair. There was no way he would have stopped D'Arcy close to the lone, he coiuldn't have waited any longer to go for the tackle and it's been a Munster tactic all year to send a centre to shoot out and cut off the wing. He went with it and it didn't work this time.

This loss doesn't hurt as much as it could. I',m taking many positives out of it for Irish rugby. Besides the sin-binning Healy was excellent. Alan Gaffers has remembered how to coach backs.

Also in an odd sort of way I'm happy that leinster will get their shot at Heineken Cup medals. there's a number of players who are getting old (as reugby players go) and deserve a medal. D'Arcy, Dempsey, Horgan in particular.

I left BO'D out of the last list because I was waiting to give him special mention. Rock was awesome as per usual but BO'D again showed his worth. he's a rugby player that makes me proud to be Irish. Truely the greatest outside centre in the professional era in my opinion. I feel like putting a thread in the SH section just to point our that: 'BOD is GOD'.

Come May 23rd I'll be proud of irish rugby, wearing Blue and cheering for Leinster!!!

Ive not seen the whole game, but Im told that during a bit of argy bargy Quinlan gouged Leo Cullen rather blatantly in front of a camera?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ May 2 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ive not seen the whole game, but Im told that during a bit of argy bargy Quinlan gouged Leo Cullen rather blatantly in front of a camera?

Can anyone shed any light on this?[/b]

It looked more like he was dragging him back by the head and his fingers clamped below his brow. I'm not sure if his fingers made contach with the eyeball. It definitely looked bad though.

I'd say 3 week ban or something along those lines. Reckless disregard for players wel- being but no intention to cause injury.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ May 3 2009, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Definately looked like it from watching it on tv. I'm sure he'll be sighted for it.

Wow, what an upset that was, although I always said that if anyone could do it, it was Leinster. From a Welsh perspective, it's great, as if the Blues can beat Leicester I think they'll have a better chance against Leinster than they would have against Munster.

Congrats Leinster, as Monkeypigeon pointed out there are a few guys in that team that truly deserve to be challenging for the HC.

O'Gara prooving that as soon as the going get's tough, the <strike>tough</strike> O'Choka f**ks off in the oposite direction?

It is kinda nice to see Munster go out, a few fans were getting slightly annoying, going on about how whoever of Blues/Leicester got through would get 'munstered'. I know they had prior performances and form to back it up, but still..........

Edit: Could the Quinlan incident possibly cost him his place on the Lions tour? Any kinda gouging incident, intentional or otherwise (I'm sorry, but how clumsy can you be to 'accidentally' have your fingers even close to another players eyes) should result in a lengthy ban, couple of months imo.

Agreed with dull. From what I saw, Quinlan fingers were no way placed there by accident. A citing should follow - plus he's not international standard anyway imo, so I wouldn't call it much of a loss.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ May 2 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Agreed with dull. From what I saw, Quinlan fingers were no way placed there by accident. A citing should follow - plus he's not international standard anyway imo, so I wouldn't call it much of a loss.[/b]

Well, my opinion is that it shouldn't matter if it were by accident. One of Brian Moor's sensible quotes from the Wales v England match in 05 where an England player 'accidentally' caught Peel's head with his boot was something like:

'One thing that makes a dangerous game like rugby safe enough to enjoy, is that every one of the players know where their feet are!'

I think that goes doubly with hands and fingers! Does the fact that a high tackle was intentional or not come into it? No, because it's bloody dangerous and stupid.

So accidental or not, and if it caused damage or not, if the incident is as described (haven't seen it yet) he should be punished.

Momentus day for Leinster and there's still the final to come, but if there's any team to go walkabout in a final having knocked out the strongest side in the competition it's Leinster.

O'Driscoll and Rocky immense as ever, nobody really let the side down, Heaslip, barring injury has rubber stamped his Lions no. 8 test spot. The backrow were awesome in all facets of the game, true their task was easier with O'Leary missing who would have caused them all sorts of problems had he played but thems the rubs, we lost Dr Phil and Sexton just oozed confidence when he came on, very controlled performance although woeful drop goal efforts, comedy moment of the match was his effort in the second half!

Owens was a complete twat, even with his gaydar going at 100mph for Munster Leinster still managed to get the win and then some, the Healy card was an absolute nonsense, time and time again that's just a warning, if anyone should have been carded it should have been O'Driscoll, he seemed to do more wrong than Healy, yet even that would have been the wrong call. Let Munster go off their feet countless times, think there were at least 3 penalties we should have got, granted they were from Munster attacking positions but even still. When Leinster got the penalty to go 6-3 up there should have been a card for Munster, that's what they're for. You'd swear we lost the way I'm going on but it still has to be said, at least if it's the Blues we won't have Owens but it'll be even worse with Barnes or White, oh for Berdos to be given the final.

Worried now about Fitzgerald, losing him for the final and the Lions could be a huge loss, hopefully it's not too serious but it's too early to tell.

Quinlan's Lions tour may well be over before it started but even if it is Leamy is more than a suitable replacement. Definite attempted, at least, gouging on Leo. Being caught on camera apologising to Cullen after the match won't do his chances much good either.

Worryingly though for the Lions in such a big game the captain didn't step up to the plate, certainly no where near the level of performances he put in during the 6N. Everyone's entitled an off day so here's hoping that's his one for the season.

Pleasantly surprised as well at the amount of Leinster fans at the match, no small achievement given the experience of Munster fans in garnering tickets for the big occasions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ May 2 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ May 3 2009, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Definately looked like it from watching it on tv. I'm sure he'll be sighted for it.
[/b][/quote]
3494832064_8f6c412037.jpg

For those who didn't see it.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZYbZQQ3q0Q

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 2 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Owens was a complete twat, even with his gaydar going at 100mph for Munster Leinster still managed to get the win and then some, the Healy card was an absolute nonsense, time and time again that's just a warning, if anyone should have been carded it should have been O'Driscoll, he seemed to do more wrong than Healy, yet even that would have been the wrong call. Let Munster go off their feet countless times,[/b]

Not for a second am I going to deny that Leinster didn't deserve that victory but I won't accomodate any suggestions of Owen's being biased today.

I don't see how a blatant clothes line on a player chasing the ball couldn't be a yellow card. Cynical foul, yellow card. I think O'Driscoll could've tried harder not to bash into him but Healy put his arm out after the ballw as kicked. If a trip (like the haskell one in the 6N) was a yellow then that was a yellow.

Secondly, I disagree that Munster were slowing the ball down any more than Leinster. There were many times when Leinster crossed the line from ripping the ball in the tackle and not releasing the player/hands in the ruck. And ypou don't have many fingers if you lost count of the times Munster went off their feat.

I deel the reffing was perfectly balanced.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ May 2 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ May 2 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Ok, whoever said it is right. Didn't see it this clearly in the pub. Best got 18 weeks, that's 18 weeks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ May 2 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ May 2 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ May 2 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Ok, whoever said it is right. Didn't see it this clearly in the pub. Best got 18 weeks, that's 18 weeks.
[/b][/quote]

Don't automatically mean Quinlan will get 18 weeks, most likely will get more.

Latest posts