Munster v Leinster

A

An Tarbh

<div align="center">
Munster.png
Munster v Leinster
Leinster.png
</div>

Well it's the biggest match of the Magners League so far this season as Munster take on Leinster or in more coloquial terms the Cousin f***ers take on the Ladyboys. Reason enough for any home based Irish player not to be involved in the Bas Bas match at Twickenham.

No love loss between these two sides as the rivalry seems to get bigger and bigger between these two sides with league encounters generally going the way of the home sides.

Leinster therefore face a daunting task in Cork on Friday night if they're to buck the recent trend and pick up their first Magners League win at Musgrave Park.

Leinster will also be boosted by the fact that Felipe Contepomi was named Guinness Rugby Writers of Ireland Player of the Year and hopefully will be aware of the fact that he has a tendency to go awol in games against Munster so something to work on perhaps.

Sadly for the wider public Setanta are acting the complete prick by putting this match on Setanta Sports 1 instead of Setanta Sports Ireland, viewers of Setanta Sports Ireland will instead be treated to what promises to be a turgid affair at Ravenhill between 2 of the form sides in the league, Ulster and Edinburgh, happy days indeed.

So who will come away with the spoils???

I reckon Munster will get the win. Leinster's forwards seem to tire in the second half. So I reckon it'll be pretty even until half time and then Munster will steal it at the end.

c'mon the ref! ;)

will be watching (the score in) this one with interest. If it ends a drawn though (please, please, please) then Glasgow could go top of the league with a bonus point against Connacht!

just incase this does actually happen, could any of you irish or welsh guys give me any tips on coping with success? im beginning to get dizzy!

is a lofty position 5th place, nah just kidding, just don't lose the run of yourself and start thinking you're something you're not.

Anyway Leinster have named their squad for the game

Leinster squad:
Forwards: Juan Gomez, Cian Healy, Ollie le Roux, Brian Blaney, Bernard Jackman, Stephen Knoop, Stan Wright, Leo Cullen, Cameron Jowitt, Malcolm O'Kelly, Keith Gleeson, Shane Jennings, Stephen Keogh, Jamie Heaslip

Backs: Chris Keane, Cillian Willis, Felipe Contepomi, Jonathan Sexton, Christian Warner, Gordon D'Arcy, Brian O'Driscoll, Gary Brown, Luke Fitzgerald, Shane Horgan, Rob Kearney

Good news that D'Arcy might be available but if there's any risk I'd rather him kept back till he's ready, plus there's more than decent cover with Dr Phil at 12 and Sexton at 10.

Good to see Darcy available.

Lineout should be interesting, but Leinster still haven't turned up with a pack - despite the Leicester win. And can the terrible twins in the Munster centre crack BOD?

Munster by a handful.

Munster will still win as I don't think Cheika has got what it takes yet to get his team to a stage where they can go to Munster and win. Again though all this talk about Leinster forwards, yet the Munster pack doesn't and shouldn't strike the fear of god into anyone, Ryan has been one of the form players and is unlikely to start, Wallace, DOC and Horan haven't exactly been on top form either and as for Leamy, well he seems like yesterday's man, not good to see as we need these guys in top form for the 6N.

Losing Quinlan is a huge blow for Munster, not only for this match but most likely for the rest of the pool campaign in the Heineken Cup. The cover may be there but none can match the form of Quinlan at the moment.

Brian Carney has been ruled out of the Munster side for tomorrow's game, his place goes to former Leinster player Kieran Lewis, Shaun Payne comes in for Denis Hurley at full back while the first choice front row is back after being rested against the Dragons. Donnacha Ryan moves to the backrow with Quinlan ruled out and Donncha O'Callaghan will partner Mick O'Driscoll in the second row.

Munster XV: 15. Shaun Payne, 14. Kieran Lewis, 13.Rua Tipoki, 12. Lifeimi Mafi, 11. Ian Dowling, 10. Ronan O'Gara (Capt), 9. Peter Stringer, 1. Marcus Horan, 2. Jerry Flannery, 3. Jogn Hayes, 4. Donncha O'Callaghan, 5. Mick O'Driscoll, 6. Donncha Ryan, 7. David Wallace, 8. Denis Leamy.

Replacements: 16. Frank Sheahan, 17. Tony Buckley, 18. Anthony Foley, 19. Niall Ronan, 20. Gerry Hurley, 21. Paul Warwick, 22. Barry Murphy.

Leinster team:

LEINSTER:

15: Rob Kearney
14: Shane Horgan
13: Brian O’Driscoll CAPTAIN
12: Gordon D’Arcy
11: Luke Fitzgerald
10: Felipe Contepomi
9: Cillian Willis

1: Ollie le Roux
2: Bernard Jackman
3: Stan Wright
4: Leo Cullen
5: Malcolm O’Kelly
6: Stephen Keogh
7: Shane Jennings
8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Brian Blaney
17: Cian Healy
18: Cameron Jowitt
19: Keith Gleeson
20: Chris Keane
21: Jonathan Sexton
22: Gary Brown

I'm fairly certain that earlier this afternoon Warner was on the bench instead of Brown which was weird.

Anyway Munster have to be clear favourites being as they are at home. An interesting test for Munster's new centre pairing coming up against the best in the business and probably a bridge too far for the slightly improved Leinster pack.

So the much vaunted Munster pack don't get the better of their Leinster counterparts, superb performance from the pack, O'Kelly, Jackman, Heaslip putting in outstanding performances.

Some serious questions now being asked of EOS' credentials with his comments this week that he won't make a huge amount of changes on the back of the world cup.

Leinster were perhaps fortunate with the injury to O'Driscoll which saw Dr Phil move to the centre with Sexton coming on and again impressing, he must surely be backup at least for the 6N. Lenihan once again proving himself a moron with his comment, "strange decision from Leinster there to bring on Sexton and move Contepomi to the centre" Gobshite. Seriously what were the other options available to Cheika?

Should give the side a huge confidence boost ahead of the double header with Edinburgh

So the much vaunted Munster pack don't get the better of their Leinster counterparts, superb performance from the pack, O'Kelly, Jackman, Heaslip putting in outstanding performances.

Some serious questions now being asked of EOS' credentials with his comments this week that he won't make a huge amount of changes on the back of the world cup.[/b]
Ah, Leinster - get consistency in the pack and you'll crack the HEC. I'm keeping my eye on the improving Jackman - I was at the dreadful crushing they got from Wasps in the quarters last season, and he was their stand out player (and was therefore substituted).

Munster midfield defence is as organised as a box of frogs, but at least Poki is an attack freak.

EOS is the world's second greatest coach - sure, didn't he beat the world champions today, demonstrating that Ireland would have won the world cup if only we didn't have shitty players like ... BOD?

Consistency is always going to be an issue with Leinster, we've seen it already this season, look at the performances against Leicester and Munster and then contrast that to the games against Llanelli and Toulouse. It's a head wrecker in fairness.

As for Eddie, sure if we go by the International shield logic then he's now the best coach in the world, might be an idea for him to coach the best team in the world permanently, I'd reluctantly accept that he'd be moving on to better things!!!

Great win for Leinster but you have to give credit to Barnes, I thought he did very well to keep a lid on the aggression in the game in contrast with the corresponding fixture last year.

Also what was Ian Dowling at? Spent the whole match mouthing off and looking for cheap shots and acted the baby when Keogh rucked him. He contributed nothing positive to the match and his attitude annoyed me in the extreme.

I didnt see the match was it ******* down raining or was it just a very defensive game?.

Anyway good win to leinster. :D

It was ******* down in fairness but despite the numerous handling errors and the low score it was still a bloody good match.

Good win for Leinster. I was very impressed that they didn't fold when O'Driscoll went off. It's a great boost for the younger players like Kearney, Fitzgerald, Sexton, Willis and Healy now that they've experienced winning in Munster.

I could be wrong but I think Leinster have already won more games on the road this season than they did all last season. They are still a bit inconsistent as An Tarbh said but are definitely moving in the right direction under Michael Cheika. He has taken stock of what went wrong in his first two seasons (a weak pack) and addressed it. That's a sign of good leadership.

Latest posts