• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

National anthem for England

Pretty sure they play 'Land of Hope and Glory' at the Commonwealth games, when GB is split up.

I think they use Jerusalem. Much better.

It really would make sense for England to have an actual anthem, used throughout all sport, instead of different ones for different things.

Jerusalem is sang at twickers just before the teams come out (or it was vs Fiji last autumn) my vote would be for Land of Hope & Glory, simply because it's more uplifting than Jerusalem. We may even join the French & Italians in having a cool anthem.

England stick with God Save The Queen, Lions sing Rule Britannia in 2017. That'd solve every problem. I've spent most my life in England, but couldn't bring myself to sing God Save The Queen under almost any circumstances.

England stick with God Save The Queen, Lions sing Rule Britannia in 2017. That'd solve every problem. I've spent most my life in England, but couldn't bring myself to sing God Save The Queen under almost any circumstances.
I'd love to see Odriscoll sing Rule Britannia in NZ.

Yes, that's a problem solver if I've ever heard one. I'd rather listen to Adam Jones ****ting into a tuba than have the Lions be represented by Rule Britannia. God save the queen is a fairly dull anthem, which I'd say could do with changing. You need an anthem that can be belted out. Same goes for Irelands Call. It's an awful cringey song. I love what it represents, but we need a better song, that the crowd can get behind. It disgusts me how badly Amhran na Bhfiann Is sung at Irish matches. Both Ireland and England need to take a leaf out of Wales and Scotlands book's.

Yes. I think that England should use 'Land of Hope and Glory'. That being belted out by a full Twickenham would certainly send shivers up a few spines.

Most likely been discussed before but do people here think England should have it's own anthem rather than the British one and what do you think would work? Personally I think Land of Hope and Glory would be so much better than god save the queen. Eg 4:36 - 6:00 in the following video http://youtu.be/A1zyvlkhROU?t=4m36s

Thoughts?

I fully agree with you. Monarchist songs like God Save the Queen is inappropriate for sports.

Unfortunately the powers that be are fearful of English Nationalism, and so try to steer clear from giving them their own identity (or parliamentry representation).

My choice would be Jerusalem.

And hopefully, when the Scots vote independance next year....the English will get more recognition by their own leaders and the debate will be over.
Britain will no longer exist as a political entity. English nationalism will rise dispite the likes of Prescott supressing it.

Land of hope and glory has to be...although I know a few tour songs that might get a look in, My girls a vegetable is a classic English rugby touring song but might offend the Queen I suppose if is became a national anthem.

Most likely been discussed before but do people here think England should have it's own anthem rather than the British one and what do you think would work? Personally I think Land of Hope and Glory would be so much better than god save the queen. Eg 4:36 - 6:00 in the following video http://youtu.be/A1zyvlkhROU?t=4m36s

Thoughts?

I think that only the 3rd verse should be the national anthem, because the 1st and 2nd verses includes "God" and "crown".

Thy fame is ancient as the day
As Ocean large and wide
A pride that dares, and heeds not praise,
A stern and silent pride
Not that false joy that dreams content
With what our sires have won;
The blood a hero sire hath spent
Still nerves a hero son.

Latest posts