• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NCAA Football 2006 season

No he didn't, but he is still a legend. That is the beautiful stuff about legends. There is no formula. It is about passion and inspiring your team and winning the hearts of the fans, not about completion percentages and passing yards... It is like Braveheart. Wallace never sets Scotland free and he gets whacked but he is a legend.

Smith is surrounded by great athletes. It will be hard for him to be a true legend because he is merely a cog in the machine. Kind of like Chris Weinke at FSU or Brian Greise at Michigan. They won ***les but they were surrounded by such a superb cast of characters that they do not get to be legends.

Doug Flutie is a legend. No ***les, no nothing, but he threw the bomb against unbeatable Miami against all odds....

Bottom line: This is nothing against Smith. He just is on too good a team to really be a legend.

I think I spelled Griese or Greise wrong...

Yea but let me ask you

did vick ever win a national championship?
[/b]

Has Smith won a national championship? If he does, is he a legend?

Smith is a great QB. I like him a lot. I don't see him as a legend. What is a legend? Maybe he will be a legend in Ohio. There are a lot of local legends. On the national scale, he would have to do something spectacular that would set him apart.

smith is a legend here in Ohio in many peoples books

you seem to look past his heroics against michigan two years running..

beating michigan in the way he did with the teams he had.. is incredible, legendary status will be acheived by Troy Smith.

beating michigan in the way he did with the teams he had.. is incredible, legendary status will be acheived by Troy Smith.
[/b]

That is my point. To you, in Ohio, he may be a legend. He is not a legend on the national scale. A play like Clarett made against Miami is the stuff that legends are made of...

Palmer and Matt L. at USC are not legends[/b]

Palmer is a legend in his own right to USC supporters and in the state of California. He brought SC out of the worst losing era in their history(late 90's to about 2001) and brought the program back up to it's prostigious platform with the victory in the rosebowl over iowa and set up their next 2 straight NC's and another third appearance. And let's not forget that he was the first Qb to win the heisman from USC. They had a rich history of runningbacks but not necesarily qb's. Marcus Allen, OJ simpson and mike Garrett. There was one more but i can't remember who it is right now.

As for Leinart, he is also a legend at USC and will be considered a consensus legend on the national scale in the coming years. He was the greatest Qb in NCAA history. As a passer he was the best in the nation and also as a leader. The fact that he won 2 straight national ***les as the leader of the best team ever(2004) gives him a slight advantage over Doug Flutie as the greatest college QB ever.

On the national scale, he would have to do something spectacular that would set him apart.[/b]

A legendary effort does not necessarily make a legend either. Look at Vince Young. His play in the rosebowl last year was one of the greatest performances of all time in anyone game, yet he will more than likely not be seen as "lengend" in the eye of the national public as a whole. Even though he defeated one of the greatest dynasties ever.

beating michigan in the way he did with the teams he had.. is incredible, legendary status will be acheived by Troy Smith.[/b]

Those performances can often be overlooked and thrown out the window. Maurice Clarett had almost single handedly won OSU the national ***le against Miami when they shouldn't have won that game. Yet now with a few off-field problems(given they are some massive ones) that legendary status seems to have been lost.

Those performances can often be overlooked and thrown out the window. Maurice Clarett had almost single handedly won OSU the national ***le against Miami when they shouldn't have won that game. Yet now with a few off-field problems(given they are some massive ones) that legendary status seems to have been lost. [/b]

Woah, not so fast my friend. Here in the OH-IO we still believe that was a lengedary season and a legendary performance there in the fiesta bowl for Maurice the beast. Now dont confuse that with many people, including myself think he is an idiot with what he ended up doing with his life. They are two seperate things, arrests and allegations can make you think that way, but if you ask any Ohio State fan what they liked most about that season was the passion and pride Maurice brought to the field and how he helped win them that game.

Now for this in particular:
Those performances can often be overlooked and thrown out the window[/b]

NO

Michigan performances are never overlooked, let alone thrown out the window. Ohio State could go 1-11 and the one win coming against Michigan and the fans will still be happy. Michigan importance here is what defines our season, most of the time if we lose it, there goes our NC chances, if we win it then its party like its 1999.

That is why it is so beautiful. There is no formula for how to be a legend. There is not even one legend per year. We are talking about over a hundred years of college football here.

Archie Griffin, Desmond Howard, OJ Simpson, Doug Flutie, Bo Jackson, etc... Just because you are great at your school, does not mean you are a legend. It is not like EA Sports.

Ron Dayne was not a legend. The USC QBs are not legends. Reggie Bush has more of that rare quality that set him apart than either of the QBs.

By the way, USC won one ***le. Only one. The BCS decides the champ. There is no such thing as a split championship...

The USC QBs are not legends.[/b]

The greatest college qb ever, is not a legend? Just watch in 10 years the analysts for espn will be all over how he was the best ever, 2 national championships and a 34-2 record as a starting qb. Is there anyone with a better record than that?

By the way, USC won one ***le. Only one. The BCS decides the champ. There is no such thing as a split championship...[/b]

Really? Because half of the poll that decides who is in the bcs is the AP poll and the other is the coaches. USC were voted national champs by the AP and LSU by the coaches poll(which wasn't unanimous either). And if you really want to get into the nitty gritty look up some history of the NCAA.

There have been 38 split national championships in the past 117 or so years(can't really count 3-0 perfect seasons, can you?). So about a third of the national championships ever played, there has been a split winner. Those don't count?

Split championships do not count since the BCS was put in place. Before then, count them. USC is a media darling. Their QB had a nice winning percentage playing in the PAC TEN and won a (one singular) ***le. Good for him. On the biggest stage in a great game, the opponent's QB (Vince Young) overshadowed him. Not a legend.

OK,

I think we have beaten the legends thing to death. How about we talk about the games this week.

Michigan against ND - Who wins and why
Florida against UT
Does Nebraska have a shot at USC?

Michigan v. Notre Dame

Ah a battle of a few of my most bitter rivals! I would watch for Michigan winning this game, it pains me to say it but thats what i see. Michigan wants payback for last season, and it will occur this season. Brady Quinn is an overrated piece of **** and he wont throw a touchdown, and maybe, finally, this game will expose how week the Notre Dame defense really is once and for all.

Florida v Tennessee

Florida v UT ahh classic look for a good ole' SEC east showdown. The SEC arguably the strongest conference in the NCAA this year. I would look for it to be a tight game, scores reaching into the upper 20's. Its going to come down to the 12th man however of Tennessee to win this for them, maybe a late field goal to win it.

Nebraska v USC

Nope i do not feel that Nebraska deserves their ranking at all, or at least up to this poing. USC will show us how weak a team Nebraska is come saturday.

Split championships do not count since the BCS was put in place[/b]

And the BCS is such a more superior system and works perfectly. :rolleyes: The BCS is the biggest joke in any sports league, anywhere in the world. The fact that it worked out to be 1 vs 2 in last years rosebowl is a pure f***ing fluke.

USC is a media darling[/b]

You don't seem to remember 2003 too well do you? Oklahoma were the king ****. They got more media coverage than any other team. Just like ND and OSU are getting this year. Everyone else was pretty much off the map. SC didn't even get the media coverage they deserved until just after the big 12 championship game when oklahoma lost. That was the point that the media finally started giving full coverage to SC. and of course LSU is from the SEC so they just had to be in the championship game with all the east coast garbage bias.

Their QB had a nice winning percentage playing in the PAC TEN[/b]

You don't seem to watch much pac 10 games do you? Because if you did you'd realise this conference has exceeded every other conference barring the SEC in quality the past 3 or 4 years. There was even an arguement to be made that it exceeded the SEC in quality last year. So please don't pull that bullshit out that it is a patty cake conference, because that is far from the case.

Michigan v. Notre Dame

Ah a battle of a few of my most bitter rivals! I would watch for Michigan winning this game, it pains me to say it but thats what i see. Michigan wants payback for last season, and it will occur this season. Brady Quinn is an overrated piece of **** and he wont throw a touchdown, and maybe, finally, this game will expose how week the Notre Dame defense really is once and for all.[/b]

I see this working out in a similar fashion. However Brady Quinn will have a decent day somewhere aroung 225-250passing yards, 2 TD's and 1 interception. Look for michigan to comeback from the **** performances in weeks 1 and 2 and win this game by 10 points.

Florida v Tennessee

Florida v UT ahh classic look for a good ole' SEC east showdown. The SEC arguably the strongest conference in the NCAA this year. I would look for it to be a tight game, scores reaching into the upper 20's. Its going to come down to the 12th man however of Tennessee to win this for them, maybe a late field goal to win it.[/b]

What's there to argue? The SEC is the stongest in college football this year. Followed by the ACC, Pac 10, big 10, big east then the rest really don't matter(independants don't count).

I'm not sold on Florida being a contender but UT doesn't look that good either. Their win over Cal was not that impressive, being as they were at home, against a top 25 team but not top 10-15 team, and shut down the running game. Let's see how they do against the spread offence and chris leak. I've got florida winning this one close. But i'm not sold on either team.

Nebraska v USC

Nope i do not feel that Nebraska deserves their ranking at all, or at least up to this poing. USC will show us how weak a team Nebraska is come saturday.[/b]

I don't want to say this is going to be a thrashing but it may end up that way. I don't think Nebraska can keep up offensively and i don't believe their defence can step up either.

What's there to argue? The SEC is the stongest in college football this year. Followed by the ACC, Pac 10, big 10, big east then the rest really don't matter(independants don't count). [/b]

Now that rating of league strength is a little hocus pocus

sure the ACC has miami and florida state, but they are both playing like **** this year

my power ratings for conferences are as follows

1. SEC - No Brainer
2. Pac 10 - Good schools, USC, Oregon, and Cal
2. Big 10 - Good schools, Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa... I belive the Pac 10 and the Big 10 are similar strength wise.
3. Big 12 - Some quality schools this year as well, comes in a close third, it could possibly be a 3 way tie for number 2
3. ACC- Good schools, but also some **** schools.. i.e. Duke, North Carolina, Maryland
4. Big East - Some ok schools but the others really lack any potential football wise.. i.e. Cincy, 'Cuse etc.

Pac Ten is not that good top to bottom. They have two or three good teams.

USC is and was a media darling. The media wanted to see the BCS fail so they voted for USC as champs. Was USC undefeated that year? You have absolutely nothing to complain about if you didn't win all your games.

USC has all of one ***le in the last few years. The BCS might suck but it is indeed the system we have. If USC wouldn't have choked against Cal they would have had the opportunity to win the ***le.

fcukernaut/DC,

Ok fellas, tell me how the wonderful PAC TEN has exceeded expectations. Please go team by team and tell me how they are better than the other conferences. Please show me some proof...

After Cal and USC there is not a lot to crow about...

fcukernaut/DC,

Ok fellas, tell me how the wonderful PAC TEN has exceeded expectations. Please go team by team and tell me how they are better than the other conferences. Please show me some proof...

After Cal and USC there is not a lot to crow about...
[/b]

Arizona- Well Arizona is nothing to write home about. They are the equivalent of Illinois or Indiana in the Big 10.

Arizona St- They are a top 25 team. They are somewhere in between 20-25. They play solid on the offensive side of the ball. There was a little controversy with the Qb position, but they have settled on a young guy who has a great arm. Their running game needs work but they average about 300yards passing a game.

Cal- Although Cal had a horrible loss to UT, they are a top 15 school. I'm more inclined to write off that first loss because it was A) in the most intimidating stadium in college football B)First game of the season. They maybe a little overated in terms of talent, but they are still a top team. Again they have a great offence and the second best back in the nation in Marshawn Lynch.

Oregon- This team in my opinion is better than Cal. They have an underated/unknown runningback who is very, very talented in Jonathan Stewart. I saw him run against stanford and he really surprised me. I'm not sure what happened last week against Fresno, he may have been hurt. Their defence is also surprisingly solid. Usually when you talk about defence it's in relative terms to the pac 10 simply because the offences are so good, but this team is a wee bit surprising on that side of the football. Also of note their Qb Dixon is a mobile guy playing in the spread formation. He seems to be playing this offence pretty damn good.

Oregon st- This team isn't that good. They struggle against the run and they struggle against the pass. They are just **** at defence, straight up. On offence, their Qb panics far too much. He looks for his All-American TE every single time. If he looked the safties off from time to time this team might be able to do something. They have a pretty good back there as well. He kinda looks like stephen jackson. That's ironic because they haven't been good since stephen jackson was drafted.

Stanford- again they are the equivalent of Illinois or Indina. Quite frankly they are embarassing this year.

UCLA- I'm undecided on this team simply because i haven't seen them. I'm worried about this team because they've lost Mecedes Lewis and Jones-Drew. Two very dynamic play makers. How they play against Oregon, ND and Arizona st will determine how i feel.

Washington- This team is marginally better than stanford. They run the ball alright and have that black qb with the dredlocks. Now his passing game isn't that refined but he does run very well. He's averaging 60yards a game. If you take into account that sacks count against your rushing yardage, that's not too shabby. This team gave Oklahoma a decent game but in the end are jsut a punching bag for a top team.

Washington St- Their an okay team. Nothing good and nothing too bad. Their just there. they were pounded by Auburn in their first game. That shouldn't be too surprising. They lost their RB from last year and haven't found a replacement yet.

I think the difference between the PAC TEN and the conferences that are definitely better (SEC and Big Ten) is the middle of the pack.

They all have their good teams (top 3).

USC, Cal, and Oregon vs. tOSU, Mich, Iowa vs. Auburn, LSU, Florida

They all have the "not so good" teams also.

It is the middle where I think the SEC and Big Ten come out ahead of the Pac Ten. The difference is that the mid-tier of the best two conferences is tougher and has a tendency to pull an upset pretty regularly. It is very difficult to get through the SEC or the Big Ten undefeated.

If I am Michigan or LSU and I play ASU, WSU, Stanford, UCLA I have a reasonable chance to get through unscathed. However, if I am Oregon and I have a middle stretch against PSU, Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota or else Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas I am looking for at least one loss and maybe two. The second tier of teams is just plain better.

Latest posts