• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand - RWC 2015 Discussion Thread

Hang on so if hurricanes chiefs and highlanders make finals it will be a blues/ crusaders all blacks team vs Samoa?

I think the 41 will be mainly established players. Not to much room to tinker around WC year. Ardie Saves and Skudler may have to wait for next year. My picks:

Props. 1. Woodcock
2. Crockett
3. Moody
4. Franks
5. Faumuina
6. B Franks

(I don't rate B Franks at all and would way rather Goode's, but they won't take 4 looseheads. I'd even rather Toomaga Allen but I think they will go for Franks)

Hookers: 7. Coles
8. Mealamu
9. Elliot
10. Parsons

Locks: 11. Retallick
12. Whitelock
13. Tuipulotu
14. Thrush
15. Broadhurst *

Backrow:
16. Kaino
17. Messam
18. McCaw
19. Cane
20. Todd
21. Read
22. Luatua

Halfbacks: 23. Smith
24. Perenara
25. Weber*
26. Ellis

(They don't like Ellis for some reason as he hasn't been picked in a few years regardless of his form. So they make pick Pulu but the three for world cup will be the first three.

First Fives: 27. Carter
28. Slade
29. Barrett
30. Sopoaga

Centers:
31. Nonu
32. SBW
33. Smith
34. Fekitoa
35. Crotty

(One will be dropped for WC. Will be interesting)

Back three: 36. Savea
37. Smith
38. Dagg
39. Jane
40. Lowe*
41. Naholo*

Hang on so if hurricanes chiefs and highlanders make finals it will be a blues/ crusaders all blacks team vs Samoa?

I believe it's only players who appear in the grand final that won't be making the trip to Samoa, not the finals series as a whole.

kinda wish the NZ teams were not so strong on the super rugby table. playing super rugby finals takes a lot out of the players in a WC year. We are looking at 3 NZ teams in the super rugby finals.

have to say all this webber chat is really interesting...it was not that long ago he was deemed not good enough for Otago or the Highlanders and so headed north. Makes you wonder how much is the training he's received...how much is natural evolution and how much is just talent Brown and Joesph missed

Didn't that happen to Naholo? The Blues dicked him around, then he moves south and we're having a national conversation about how he should be an All Black.

have to say all this webber chat is really interesting...it was not that long ago he was deemed not good enough for Otago or the Highlanders and so headed north. Makes you wonder how much is the training he's received...how much is natural evolution and how much is just talent Brown and Joesph missed

Quick brag from me, here's what I said in the preseason All Blacks Watch I wrote up...

"If it was up to me, Weber would be starting every week for the Chiefs and would have the third [All Blacks] halfback spot sewn up."

Didn't that happen to Naholo? The Blues dicked him around, then he moves south and we're having a national conversation about how he should be an All Black.

Don't get me started. Same exact thing with fekitoa and anscombe too! Kirwan has got to go.. Ridiculous acts

O and Pauliasi Manu...

Last edited:
Don't get me started. Same exact thing with fekitoa and anscombe too! Kirwan has got to go.. Ridiculous acts

O and Pauliasi Manu...

You can just tell from interviews and comments John Kirwan is a few fries short of a happy meal. He uses all these hippy mantra's of positive "vibes" and euphemisms to gloss over glaring issues in his coaching philosophies. Yeah he's got depression, but he's riding it and has formed some sort of hippy commune camp in the franchise about peace and love and not sacking him because that wouldn't be coooool man.. It's unreal, this guys way out of touch with Rugby, let alone reality, needs to take a backroom position and by backroom, I mean the toilet, cleaning them. Honestly I have no sympathy for him and he's pulled the "feel sorry for him" card for too long.

I'm genuinely really concerned for the younger players under him, like Akira Ioane, we need him blood thirsty, he's potentially a star, but Kirwans coddling can destroy his battling nature. Get him out and away from NZ Rugby, PLEASE.

Last edited:
Found this today

Percentage of squad over 30

South Africa - 37%
Rugby Championship squad - 35 players: 13 over 30

Argentina 34%
Rugby Championship squad - 32 players: 11 over 30

All Blacks 30%
Rugby Championship squad - 37 players: 11 over 30

Samoa 29%
Rugby World Cup squad - 58 players: 17 over 30

France 26%
Six Nations squad - 42 players: 11 over 30

Ireland 23%
Six Nations squad - 43 players: 10 over 30

England 16%
Six Nations squad - 43 players: 7 over 30

Australia 16%
Rugby Championship squad - 43 players: 7 over 30

Wales 14%
Six Nations squad - 37 players: 5 over 30

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11454895

I Few questions.
Josh hoeneck for the highlanders may be bit of an old boy, but Jee has he been prolific this season, biggest defensive front rower in the league, does he deserve to get in this RWC?

Milner-scudder or Piutau for that third fullback spot? Piutau has been injured a big part of the season, plus I'm a massive NMS fan, great to see a new fresh stepper in the league!

The number 1 ten? Barrett slade Carter sopoaga? Barrett my mind..

And finally the centre combination! So many options, mine is 12) SBW 13)Nonu, I know this is a hot debate, AB's have so many good options at the moment..

✌✌✌

I Few questions.
Josh hoeneck for the highlanders may be bit of an old boy, but Jee has he been prolific this season, biggest defensive front rower in the league, does he deserve to get in this RWC?

Milner-scudder or Piutau for that third fullback spot? Piutau has been injured a big part of the season, plus I'm a massive NMS fan, great to see a new fresh stepper in the league!

The number 1 ten? Barrett slade Carter sopoaga? Barrett my mind..

And finally the centre combination! So many options, mine is 12) SBW 13)Nonu, I know this is a hot debate, AB's have so many good options at the moment..

✌✌✌

Not with the other World Class forwards already in the AB's, I would like him over Faumaina though, he's a big overrated p*ssy.

This is the big decision, with Dagg injured and Piutau injured and leaving, things are looking good for Skudz

Barrett. 3 10's will be picked. Barrett (starter) with Slade and Carter. Sopoaga unlucky to miss out for the WC, will be in the injury shortlist squad.

With out a doubt it will be Smith and Nonu, they have been the best combination in the world for a long time and killed it in SR. SBW will make bench and Fekitoa the injury shortlist squad, Crotty will miss the cut all together.

Squads will be 18/13 with 10 players on an injury short list, so 31 go to the World Cup, 41 over all named.

Last edited:
I think the prop situation is already sorted. Crockett, Woodcock, Faumaina, O. Franks. B. Franks, Moody will all be in the mix and while a few of those guys have been quiet at Super 15 level, they almost all step up at international level. Woodcock, while in fine form if you look at his stats, might just be too much of an injury liability though. So I doubt you'll see Hohneck. Any player who isn't capped I'd be suspicious of them including. Unless we're ravaged by injury, I just doubt that will happen.

Charles Piutau for me, although Hansen is on record as saying it might be harder for him to get selected now. Same sentiment as above with Skudder. Let's also remember Jane, Slade and Barrett can cover fullback.

The starting 10 will probably be Slade or Carter, with Barrett on the bench. Barrett is awesome, and even I'd prefer him, but watching him over the last few years has confirmed to me he's better off the bench. I wouldn't lose sleep if he started in a World Cup Final, but he's really an impact player and thrives when the game opens up.

The Nonu/Smith combination is better than it ever has been this season. I'm not sure why we'd move Nonu out to another position and not include Smith at all. There is plenty of precedent for it working at international level, so I'd suspect that would be our top centre pairing.

We are in better position than any other rugby nation.

1. Tony Woodcock**
2. Dane Coles
3. Owen Franks*
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock*
6. Jerome Kaino*
7. Richie McCaw*** (c)
8. Kieran Read*
9. Aaron Smith
10. Daniel Carter***
11. Julian Savea
12. Ma'a Nonu**
13. Conrad Smith**
14. Cory Jane
15. Ben Smith

16. Keven Mealamu***
17. Ben Franks*
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Jeremy Thrush
20. Sam Cane
21. TJ Perenara
22. Beauden Barrett
23. Sonny Bill Williams*

Extras: Hika Elliot, Joe Moody, James Broadhurst, Liam Messam, Brad Weber, Ryan Crotty, Charles Piutau & Israel Dagg*.

Wider Training Squad: Wyatt Crockett, Blade Thompson, Ardie Savea, Colin Slade*, Malakai Fekitoa & Waisake Naholo.

Unlucky: Matt Todd, Steven Luatua, Victor Vito*, Andy Ellis**, Augustine Pulu, Lima Sopoaga, James Lowe & Nehe Milner-Skudder.

Injured: Nathan Harris, Patrick Tuipulotu, Tawera Kerr-Barlow & Aaron Cruden.

Bolters: Ben Tameifuna, Reggie Goodes, Akira Ioane, Brad Shields, Jordan Taufua, George Moala, Charlie Ngatai & Damian McKenzie.

Players on Hand: James Parsons, Liam Coltman, Carl Hayman, Luke Romano, Brad Thorn, Dominic Bird, Luke Braid, Callum Gibbons, Nasi Manu, Jimmy Cowan*, Otere Black, Hosea Gear & Patrick Osborne.

Tuipulotu out. 22-year-old announced on Tuesday doctors had discovered a developmental defect with his hips and had decided to push ahead with two surgeries over the next six weeks in a bid to prolong his career.

"I am naturally gutted that this takes me out of consideration for the All Blacks season and the World Cup, but this is the best thing to do long term," Tuipulotu said. "I am only 22 and I could be around for two more World C"

Fortunately we have good depth at lock, but he was one of the few good things for the Blues this season.

Tuipulotu only one test start but he is still a big loss. He seemed to be the ideal bench option and constantly made impact from the bench.

IMO with him out James Broadhurst should be a sure bet to make the final 31 man squad

I'm worried, I feel like this AB squad could be the weakest we have fielded in a long time, possibly ever, at a RWC.
The Boks are going to be rock tough.
The English have home advantage.
The French always have at least one 'bolt' to shoot.
Aussie have one big game in them.

I'm worried, I feel like this AB squad could be the weakest we have fielded in a long time, possibly ever, at a RWC.

Sorry but that's bull***** and unnecessary panic.

Little bit irrelevant to the thread. But I do agree, 2008 we weren't flash either.

I remember 2008 being a very good year for the All Blacks, one of the best, we lost 2 early tests to Australia & Boks and the coaches made a number of changes which included using Kahui in the wing for the first time. After that we were basically unbeatable and thrashed Australia in the next match and eventually we beat the then world champion Springboks 19 - zip in south africa. Fricken Epic result which I think actually did a lot to heal the wounds from 2007 world cup, dominating the world champions in their own backyard

- - - Updated - - -

na I'm not panicking, no need
I know it doesn't count for everything but look at how strong NZ sides are in super rugby. the top three sides on a combined table are NZ sides. All while some top players have not peaked yet and I think playing a little within themselves.

my only worry is if the selectors go ultra conservative, I think picking a couple of form players in the places of guys who are below par is going to be important. It's important to constantly add new young talent even in WC year IMO.

The biggest worries have been the head knocks of Read, and injuries to Kaino, brodie retalick & Barrett but on the flip side things like this can be a blessing. When players get injury breaks during this time of year they can actually come back stronger and well rested. In Particular kaino, with a finger injury he can actually still do a lot of training.

I remember 2008 being a very good year for the All Blacks, one of the best, we lost 2 early tests to Australia & Boks and the coaches made a number of changes which included using Kahui in the wing for the first time. After that we were basically unbeatable and thrashed Australia in the next match and eventually we beat the then world champion Springboks 19 - zip in south africa. Fricken Epic result which I think actually did a lot to heal the wounds from 2007 world cup, dominating the world champions in their own backyard

- - - Updated - - -

na I'm not panicking, no need
I know it doesn't count for everything but look at how strong NZ sides are in super rugby. the top three sides on a combined table are NZ sides. All while some top players have not peaked yet and I think playing a little within themselves.

my only worry is if the selectors go ultra conservative, I think picking a couple of form players in the places of guys who are below par is going to be important. It's important to constantly add new young talent even in WC year IMO.

The biggest worries have been the head knocks of Read, and injuries to Kaino, brodie retalick & Barrett but on the flip side things like this can be a blessing. When players get injury breaks during this time of year they can actually come back stronger and well rested. In Particular kaino, with a finger injury he can actually still do a lot of training.

The Kaino injury is a genuine blessing in disguise.. an injured finger! Perfect. The Blues season was over, no point busting his guts week in week out for that pathetic lot.