• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand - RWC 2015 Discussion Thread

​
I remember 2008 being a very good year for the All Blacks, one of the best, we lost 2 early tests to Australia & Boks and the coaches made a number of changes which included using Kahui in the wing for the first time. After that we were basically unbeatable and thrashed Australia in the next match and eventually we beat the then world champion Springboks 19 - zip in south africa. Fricken Epic result which I think actually did a lot to heal the wounds from 2007 world cup, dominating the world champions in their own backyard

- - - Updated - - -

na I'm not panicking, no need
I know it doesn't count for everything but look at how strong NZ sides are in super rugby. the top three sides on a combined table are NZ sides. All while some top players have not peaked yet and I think playing a little within themselves.

my only worry is if the selectors go ultra conservative, I think picking a couple of form players in the places of guys who are below par is going to be important. It's important to constantly add new young talent even in WC year IMO.

The biggest worries have been the head knocks of Read, and injuries to Kaino, brodie retalick & Barrett but on the flip side things like this can be a blessing. When players get injury breaks during this time of year they can actually come back stronger and well rested. In Particular kaino, with a finger injury he can actually still do a lot of training.

completely agree, just look at the form Fekitoa brought into the AB's last year, we just need to find this years fekitoa, someone in form and generally honored/excited to be there

​

completely agree, just look at the form Fekitoa brought into the AB's last year, we just need to find this years fekitoa, someone in form and generally honored/excited to be there

Skudder.

over smith?

was thinking naholo seeing jane hasn't really nailed down that 14 jersey

That won't happen, everybody know that SBW and Izzy Dagg will be picked over Fekitoa and Milner-Skudder

SBW is very very important for Adidas, Fekitoa is hardly known outside of the circuit of Super Rugby supporters

SBW is very very famous in Australia, Europe and even in Latin America. I can assure that, my friends who have never touched a rugby ball know who is SBW.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be that confident. Dagg is an impossible case now, I doubt very much he will be going. Fekitoa has a strong chance as well.

I'd expect that SBW will be picked in the RWC squad based on what he can do in a match rather than what he has done this season. The NZRU would hate to see a poor ROI, which would be the case if SBW wasn't picked. If picked, he may start a few pool matches to develop some form and combinations, but the midfield will be Nonu and Smith for the big matches, no doubt about it. In which case, Fekitoa may be struggling for a spot (which I would hate to see as he's a real talent). Would I pick SBW? 50/50. Fekitoa has more upside in terms of the future, SBW may provide that offload or linebreak which delivers an important win right now.

As for Dagg, I can't see a place for him based on current or recent form. Ben Smith is my pick for 15, with Slade as cover, Naholo in 14, Savea in 11. Milner-Skudder has far more upside than Dagg, so a shoot-out between the two would see NMS get my vote.

In terms of NMS vs Dagg - I think Dagg will certainly be included. He's been around a long time and knows the system - and while Dagg had objectively been worse the NMS, you know should we lose the RWC the decision to leave Dagg out would be more heavily scrutinized than leaving out NMS. Same applies for Naholo v Jane.

It won't be Dagg vs NMS, it will be Dagg vs Piutau, then Dagg vs NMS if Piutau gets an injury.

Piutau will go because Dagg is injured and hasn't played in a long time. He's not in the frame to be honest. Piutau is also great 14 and 11 cover.

Skudder might get given time in RC time and if he makes a considerable impact I see no reason not to pick him.

- - - Updated - - -

In terms of NMS vs Dagg - I think Dagg will certainly be included. He's been around a long time and knows the system - and while Dagg had objectively been worse the NMS, you know should we lose the RWC the decision to leave Dagg out would be more heavily scrutinized than leaving out NMS. Same applies for Naholo v Jane.

Jane is made of glass, he proved that lastnight. Jane and Dagg shouldn't be picked IMO, we've got suitable cover for both of them, and they're not game changers. Besides Dagg is already now considered a fringe player with Ben Smith taking 15.

Last edited:
This is all in your mind, not Hansen's. Dagg started plenty of games at fullback last season.

This is all in your mind, not Hansen's. Dagg started plenty of games at fullback last season.

Yeah not arguing that, but the situation is really dire for him now. I think it will be a huge mistake to take him.

have to say, i hadn't actually seen skudder play much...just heard reports...that guy is scary good...would be more than happy to have him on the bench

these long striding backs like dagg and Roko in his time are great...but i just cant go past these straight leg speed guys like fekitoa and Skudder, there just look more stable, not going to get stopped by anything less than a fully committed tackle

...you know should we lose the RWC the decision to leave Dagg out would be more heavily scrutinized than leaving out NMS. Same applies for Naholo v Jane.

Fair points made, but I doubt that Dagg and/or Jane's hypothetical exclusion would be scrutinized if we don't win the WC, neither are currently irreplaceable starting players who have critical influence on a match in the way that McCaw, Aaron Smith, or Carter do. Their (Dagg & Jane) positions require strong support running and finishing skills as opposed to breakdown, directional, or playmaking skills. If, however, an element of playmaking is at all required from a 14/15 cover, I would take NMS over Dagg and Jane any day.

A lot of talk about Naholo and Skudder. I have seen them play a bit this season, however mainly their try scoring/assisting bits. All good fun and games, these two look pretty good on attack but sadly history has shown that the crunch matches in RWC are decided by defense:
How is their defense?
How are they under the high ball?
Will the diffuse the bomb or will they explode under the pressure?
Bit hard to determine after one successful season of super rugby. Looking back at 2011, the ABs coaches made some real brave calls with regards to selections in the starting line up. They dropped Mills Muliana and selected Dagg, the young, skillful fullback, mind you, he wasn't fresh into the ABs either, it was his second season in the ABs (Mills was on 98 test caps or something like that, so it wasn't that easy to just drop him). Also the selection of Richard Kahui at wing along with Dagg at FB were the masterstrokes from the ABs. They were selection surprises for sure. The back 3 were solid in diffusing when they were getting bombarded. Every single team will be employing the bomb especially in the English autumn weather. So the question is, what brave calls will the ABs coaches make this year?

On a side note, it's great to see Richie McCaw and Dan Carter coming into their stride late in the super rugby season, slowly putting to bed the theories that they are done. Not just yet!

Forwards:
1. Wyatt Crockett (Woodcock is injured, would be Woodcock starting)
2. Dane Coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Liam Messam (Kaino is injured, would be Kaino starting)
7. Richie McCaw (Sam Cane is probably our best 7 right now, but McCaw leadership and impact to game is always effective at the international stage)
8. Kieran Read

Backs:
9. Aaron Smith
10. Dan Carter
11. Julian Savea
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. ???
15. Ben Smith

Probably our strongest starting 15 IMO, right wing not so sure yet. Naholo looks good, Osborne also looks good.

Very very pleased to see NMS and Naholo selected, they're running hot and bringing them in now is a great investment in the future - for the WC, and for 2016 onward.

I'm a little surprised to see Matt Todd selected, he has been there before but I see Ardie Savea as the third openside flanker currently as he has great dynamic potential, although perhaps technically he isn't as strong as Todd - yet. I would think that should McCaw not be around next year, that Sam Cane will naturally be the first pick at 7, with Savea having a bench role.

Broadhurst has been colossal in his ball-carrying and workrate, he's a big unit with the heart and determination to match.

When was the last time Poverty Bay had an All Black? It's a great story for rugby, reminds of East Coast's success in the late-90's when they made the NPC 2nd Division - I still wish their run had continued and that they'd made the 1st Division :D

Happy with the squad, largely predictable, the 31-man RWC squad will be THE BIG ONE!

Great to see a few of the names that are in there - but the new guys will have to make one hell of an impression to get a spot at the World Cup. Does this squad get cut down again for the Rugby Championship?

Great to see a few of the names that are in there - but the new guys will have to make one hell of an impression to get a spot at the World Cup. Does this squad get cut down again for the Rugby Championship?

Should make for a spectacular RC series! I believe this is the squad for both the Samoa match and the Rugby Championship.

I probably should have posted my comment on the other AB squad thread that's running as opposed to this RWC thread.

Word has it Hansen still considers Ben Smith a winger.

Hopefully with the emergence of Naholo this is thrown out the window and Smith is solidified at 15.

Am I the only one preying Dagg doesn't return from injury?