• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Next All Black coach?

Going to be very interesting if all three Barrett's keep getting picked by the new coach

Scott and Beaudy 100% deserve their spot.

McKenzie will definitely take Jordie's spot on the bench.

I just realized Hansen probably would've selected Jordie ahead of Bender on the plane if McKenzie hadn't been injured, cringe.

Scott and Beaudy 100% deserve their spot.

McKenzie will definitely take Jordie's spot on the bench.

I just realized Hansen probably would've selected Jordie ahead of Bender on the plane if McKenzie hadn't been injured, cringe.
Scott's got to get his tackles down or he'll become a liability, a couple tonight we're close run

Scott's got to get his tackles down or he'll become a liability, a couple tonight we're close run

His general play and work rate is really good, which saves him, but you're right about his tackling technique.

Hemopo will be knocking on the door.

His general play and work rate is really good, which saves him, but you're right about his tackling technique.

Hemopo will be knocking on the door.
Hemopo has gone overseas I believe.

@Old Hooker , @RedruthRFC @Zapphod

first, surely japan beating Ireland, demolishing Scotland and Samoa is an achievement? I get the point about turning a tier 3 into a tier 2 not being relevant, but were they not more like tier 1 in the World Cup? Sure they got smashed by South Africa, but they were exhausted after playing for the 5th week in a row, having played fast rugby in hot and humid conditions, not to mention having developed a style to beat Scotland and push Ireland (those were their World Cup aims). If they had more and better players to choose from they could then have switched to a different game plan to play the Boks.

second, what Joseph and brown have done is tried a lot of different things across their years of coaching. This is valuable experience as they already know what does and doesn't work. More importantly it shows they have the minds to think of new things, and this will be important given how coaching is evolving.

for the highlanders they started with a set of below par players. They tried importing top players, it failed, so they learnt the importance of buliding a culture where where everyone are equals and respect the leaders. They tried a run it from everywhere approach. a kick it from everywhere approachable rely on defence, that became the all blacks go to for a long time. A drive over the ruck with several players approach (they pretty much brought this innovation to world rugby. this was a big thing in rugby if you think a few years back, after refs made tacklers release the tackled player hence the fetcher became less effective. Then it stopped being such a big thing because refs started ruling against cleaning out passed the ball and started allowing the attacking Rucker's to not support their own body weight). They found If they attacked too many rucks their players got exhausted by the end of the season, so they became more targeted with their counter rucking. They pioneered offloading from everywhere. Joseph tried being tough on players, then tried being softer.

Third...They took players who were rejected from nzs worst team, the blues, and turned them into all blacks (naholo, fekitoa). They took average players and turned them into all blacks (hoeata, sopoaga, Dixon, Franklin, Luke whitelock, their 7 who I can picture but can't remember, Patrick Osborne was in a training camp).
they made Ben Smith.

a lot of changes to the game that we have seen internationally came from these coaches, with everyone else following.

not only did they develop players, they also worked out how best to play with the skill set they had. They had two superstars, Ben and Aaron Smith, and a bunch of nobodies, and they utilised their stars to perfection as well as their nobodies. They did a similar thing with japan, but with a different set of players hence a different game plan.

Would love to see Stern Vern in there as part of the support team. He's DoR at Montpellier these days I think but developed the best team Scotland have had in decades (who have regressed since he left). Not sure about him as HC but he could certainly do a job as defence coach

Would love to see Stern Vern in there as part of the support team. He's DoR at Montpellier these days I think but developed the best team Scotland have had in decades (who have regressed since he left). Not sure about him as HC but he could certainly do a job as defence coach

It seems like a shootout between Foster, Joseph, Rennie and Robertson for the HC role, with a number of other guys in the mix as potential assistants. Schmidt seems like a guy any of the head coaches would want onboard, same for Cotter.

I'd take Robertson or Joseph, even though I also like Rennie. Foster would be my last pick. Has some reflected glory from Hansen but has never proven himself as a HC.

It seems like a shootout between Foster, Joseph, Rennie and Robertson for the HC role, with a number of other guys in the mix as potential assistants. Schmidt seems like a guy any of the head coaches would want onboard, same for Cotter.

I'd take Robertson or Joseph, even though I also like Rennie. Foster would be my last pick. Has some reflected glory from Hansen but has never proven himself as a HC.

I hope Scott McLeod stays in the mix as an assistant...or we'll take him back at the Highlanders, hasn't been much talk about him

Tony Brown went on record on the Breakdown saying he won't work with anyone other than Jamie Joseph and that he turned down offers from Foster and Robinson.

I'd say Jospeh is favourite at the moment, which is great news.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...er-all-blacks-burning-questions-ahead-of-2020

For the ABs worrying lack of depth at prop and lock going forward.

Worrying lack of depth in the forwards in general.

Lock will be only a minor concern while Brodie and Whitelock are on their sabbatical next season. Once they return we will have the same 4 we had this RWC. The only departure I lament is Hemopo, he would've been great cover while Brodie and Whitelock are away. I guess Tom Franklin or Quentin Strange will be favourites for the bench spot, while Barrett and Tuipolotu will be the starters. If I had to call it now, I don't think Sam Whitelock will make the 2023 RWC squad, he had a pretty bad RWC, could be signs he's well on the decline.

Number 8 and blindside is the major concern. No idea what is going to happen there. Personally I don't have faith in Akira Ioane, he will put in a good first half, then he doesn't have the fortitude to get through the whole game when the going gets tough. Great athlete with an unfortunate lack of application. I think a move to the Crusaders would be beneficial, especially if Robison stays on, he needs to get out off his comfort zone.

Worrying lack of depth in the forwards in general.

Lock will be only a minor concern while Brodie and Whitelock are on their sabbatical next season. Once they return we will have the same 4 we had this RWC. The only departure I lament is Hemopo, he would've been great cover while Brodie and Whitelock are away. I guess Tom Franklin or Quentin Strange will be favourites for the bench spot, while Barrett and Tuipolotu will be the starters. If I had to call it now, I don't think Sam Whitelock will make the 2023 RWC squad, he had a pretty bad RWC, could be signs he's well on the decline.

Number 8 and blindside is the major concern. No idea what is going to happen there. Personally I don't have faith in Akira Ioane, he will put in a good first half, then he doesn't have the fortitude to get through the whole game when the going gets tough. Great athlete with an unfortunate lack of application. I think a move to the Crusaders would be beneficial, especially if Robison stays on, he needs to get out off his comfort zone.
really sad to see hemopo go :(

Which coach would be best to help a team handle the pressure of a World Cup knockout?
I kinda think Rennie as the chiefs didn't play all that differently when in playoffs. From memory?

I hope Scott McLeod stays in the mix as an assistant...or we'll take him back at the Highlanders, hasn't been much talk about him
I like the idea of having something fresh, but I don't want to lose all the ip, especially with so many senior players moving on. Scot McLeod would be the minimum for a transition.
I don't think foster wants to stay in as assistant but I'd far rather brown or Rennie as attack coach anyway. I'd rather foster as head than assistant. Happy not to have him at all if McLeod is there but part of me wants foster to be head for two years with brown and McLeod then look for someone new.

Tony Brown went on record on the Breakdown saying he won't work with anyone other than Jamie Joseph and that he turned down offers from Foster and Robinson.

I'd say Jospeh is favourite at the moment, which is great news.
That is interesting, because I think Brown, as assistant, is the most sought coach. So that does put Joseph in the box seat.

Is it fair to say Robertson is the favourite ?
I would doubt it, but it really all depends on the selectors.

Assistants are just as important if not more, so it depends a lot on the group application and we don't know much about that. Brown will very likely be most selectors first pick in the all blacks coaching mix, if they were selecting the mix themselves. and he has made his allegiance to Joseph.

Therefore Joseph plus brown plus xxx will probably be favourite.

Hmmm, interesting choice. Big money I guess, and a good challenge for sure.

i just gotta say I don't want a coach who hasn't coached in New Zealand for a long time. Not that I think they'll be a worse coach, just because i really want nz to emphasise their rugby culture. Already with the influence of Southern Hemisphere players and coaches in Europe we are getting merging of styles, with the northern hemisphere becoming more Southern Hemisphere like, I don't want it to go back in the other direction.

In other words, I would prefer Rennie or Boyd to cotter. Or, if cotter is head coach (would he be anything else?) I would want some inventive assistant. Who? Not sure. I really want Wayne Smith to come back. I would be happy with cotter as an assistant though, but I doubt that will happen.

I wouldn't mind Robertson if he had some experienced and or creative assistants, maybe Boyd. I think Boyd could work well as an assistant or a head.

Latest posts