• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Next Ireland Coach?

Who do you think will be the next Ireland coach?

• Total voters
Snoop I agree with you regards McKenzie as there was too much talent with that Reds team in pivotal positions to not have chance. Also I think Schmidt knows too much about Irish set up to maybe get in to it althought I think he is best at club level as that is his master class day-to-day coaching but he might want New Zealand role. It seems like not many really want it

I think he wants the NZ job as well but he's aware there will be a lot of topclass competition for it. Coaching Ireland to success would be a way for him to standout.

As in if Schmidt want Irish job then suspend all interviews and give him job but regarding success with Ireland Schmidt knows it can be messy etc with central contracts and the politics of blazers that it a battle from day 1 and may not fancy that crap. Also I presume his family will be a big part of his decision. But I do ask is Schmidt happy to let IRFU pick his assistants etc

As in if Schmidt want Irish job then suspend all interviews and give him job but regarding success with Ireland Schmidt knows it can be messy etc with central contracts and the politics of blazers that it a battle from day 1 and may not fancy that crap. Also I presume his family will be a big part of his decision. But I do ask is Schmidt happy to let IRFU pick his assistants etc

I would be hopeful his family is part of the decision because I think Tim is likely to want to go to college here.

Is that the kid who was on 1 of Leinster Schools teams this year I seem a Schmidt on team sheet I sure

International rugby is a less intensive schedule than club rugby. Schmidt could conceivably lessen his work load by taking the Ireland job and spend a lot of time in NZ. Doesn't Warren Gatland do this?

International rugby is a less intensive schedule than club rugby. Schmidt could conceivably lessen his work load by taking the Ireland job and spend a lot of time in NZ. Doesn't Warren Gatland do this?
False here though as Irish head coach has to be attending games and also has to be at coaching conference monthly along with other commitments it is a role that he'd need at least 2 weeks per month here and that not necessarily 2 weeks as a block. Could be 1st and 3rd week etc.

Want someone who knows how to attack, would not really like Edwards.

Lads its simple. If Schmidt wants it he's a proven coach with a very big variety of experience and earned it so let's ask him and if he say's yes then get him all his demands and support him

Interesting.
Can't see it happening to be honest, but he wasn't too pleased with Gatland not taking him on the Lions, and Howley was chosen ahead of him for Wales when Gatland was away and isn't McBride in charge this summer? Wouldn't be surprised to see him move elsewhere to try and get a higher up role.
Though didn't he recently sign a contract until 2015 or something?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Edit: it autocorrected Gatland to Garland, and I don't think Judie's coaching anymore.

Last edited:
If Edwards leaves I don't think I'll ever be able to back Gatland or the WRU again.

Never heard of attacks/backs coaches then?

Never. I meant that I would prefer our next coach to be more attack oriented, where as Edwards is a defence coach. Apologies if that was unclear my good sir.

Sorry just can't see Edwards as a Head Coach for some reason although I have no doubt he'd be a superb motivator and I just don't want to gamble on an unproven Head Coach, however a Schmidt/Edwards combination with possibly Foley as Forwards Coach might just be an interesting ticket

Didn't Edwards start a fight with Wales' Irish physio for singing an Irish song?
I can't see him being liked among the players to be honest, he seems a bit of a prick to me.

Didn't Edwards start a fight with Wales' Irish physio for singing an Irish song?
I can't see him being liked among the players to be honest, he seems a bit of a prick to me.
He is a prick but might be bit of prick we need and while Schmidt deserves the gig I hope a fresh outsider is with him like if it Schmidt with the rest of coaches remaining we that like doing a dump. When you take that turd out of the bowl and put it out on a field it don't change much ...... it still a turd.

I don't what to fan the flames of rumors but I was at the Sarries Ulster match on Saturday and chatted briefly to Stuart Lancaster. Asked him if he was interested in the Ireland job, and though he laughed, he didn't say no!

Just putting this out there.

Latest posts