• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Nienaber set for Bok head coach role and Matt Proudfoot set to join England

User1245

Academy Player
Club or Nation
South Africa
Jacques Nienaber is reportedly set to land the Springbok head-coaching role later this month.

World Cup-winning Bok coach Rassie Erasmus has stepped down from the role to focus on his responsibilities as SA Rugby director of rugby. Defence guru Nienaber and ex-Kings boss Deon Davids are the front-runners in the race to succeed Erasmus.

According to a report in Die Burger on Saturday, Nienaber is now in the inside lane in the race for the Bok top job after Erasmus presented his proposal to the SA Rugby executive, identifying Nienaber as his replacement.

Davids is expected to come into the fray as an assistant coach alongside Matt Proudfoot and Mzwandile Stick.

It is believed Erasmus' proposal, which also outlines his vision for the way forward for rugby in general, was accepted unopposed. The finer details still have to be negotiated before the paperwork is completed and announcement made.
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/nienaber-in-pole-position-for-top-job/

I think going for Nienaber would be an astute move. Davids is the right guy to get in the Boks mix but he needs to be in the system first before he should be considered for the top spot.

In the latest update on the Springbok coaching group for 2020, it appears that the Boks could be without Matt Proudfoot from next year onward. According to the story in Rapport, Proudfoot is set to join Eddie Jones' backroom staff in England. Proudfoot played a major part in the 2019 World Cup win despite not being part of Rassie Erasmus' original plans. His place in the Bok coaching setup will be taken by Deon Davids.
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/paper-talk-england-keep-tabs-proudfoot/

Rapport is very accurate with it's reporting so I reckon this is going to happen.

I'm unsure of how much of a loss this is to be honest? Proudfoot was around the AC era and we all know how the forwards were during that period.
I didn't know that he wasn't part of Rassie's original plans though and the Bok pack regaining it's oomph directly coincided with Rassie coming onboard.

Well. I hope Nienaber gets the job, and I can't really complain about Davids' appointment either, he has some very good qualities that might be very valuable for the Boks.

As for Proudfoot, he has done some great work for the Boks especially in our set piece. And we shouldn't underestimate his value. But could this mean that someone like Ackermann could also be included in the setup as new forwards coach?

My guess is that Stick and the others will remain in their positions, so it's just a matter of filling the holes left now.

If Rassie can establish more certainty in assistant coaching roles with a realistic career pathway to head coach, I do think guys like Ackermann would give up cushy European head coach roles to get in the mix with the Boks. This would lift the standards considerably.

I think the first step to this type of culture would be the appointment of Nienaber, if the reports are true.

Latest rumour is that Pieter De Villiers will be appointed in Matt Proudfoot's place. And this isn't PDivvy, but rather Pieter who used to play prop for France.

He has been involved with the Boks under HM's reign, so he has a bit of experience on this level.

Deon David's will be forwards coach
Stick will become the backline coach

Hopefully Aled Walters and the Irish fella can stay with us

What type of rugby do teams play under Nienaber ? Anyone know ?

Nienaber has never been a head coach. But we can use a few hints to have an idea of how a Springbok team will look under him.

Firstly he still works under Erasmus, who still would have an influence. He would remember the game plan and tactics used by these guys in the world Cup and leading up to it.

But from an internal perspective. The guy is a defensive genius. A guru. His teams will be defensively astute and World leading first and foremost. Expect the Springboks to set even more defensive records such as the one s they restricted Wales and England to in terms of meters gained. Maybe we will give up some of our attack.

Nienaber has shown he can adapt his style with the time. He is a scholar of the game, and only later started coaching this hectic pressing defensive style. I'm guessing if and when the game moves on we will be close to the teams who are pushing it.

Weakness? Does he have media skills? Can he manage a dressing room with world Cup winning egos? Will there be a fight over authority? Will any coach taking over the role feel that Rassie is lurking over their shoulder? What if he did not get to choose his own assistants? Is this another case of Alistair Coetzee blaming it on the fact that he did not have a choice of his assistants?

Nienaber has never been a head coach. But we can use a few hints to have an idea of how a Springbok team will look under him.

Firstly he still works under Erasmus, who still would have an influence. He would remember the game plan and tactics used by these guys in the world Cup and leading up to it.

But from an internal perspective. The guy is a defensive genius. A guru. His teams will be defensively astute and World leading first and foremost. Expect the Springboks to set even more defensive records such as the one s they restricted Wales and England to in terms of meters gained. Maybe we will give up some of our attack.

Nienaber has shown he can adapt his style with the time. He is a scholar of the game, and only later started coaching this hectic pressing defensive style. I'm guessing if and when the game moves on we will be close to the teams who are pushing it.

Weakness? Does he have media skills? Can he manage a dressing room with world Cup winning egos? Will there be a fight over authority? Will any coach taking over the role feel that Rassie is lurking over their shoulder? What if he did not get to choose his own assistants? Is this another case of Alistair Coetzee blaming it on the fact that he did not have a choice of his assistants?

I think Nienaber and Rassie will be more of the same. They were coaching together for a long while now, so I think the ideas implemented was a combined effort by both of them. I don't think much will change. Maybe some minor tweaks here and there, but more of the same, with maybe more effectiveness.

For me, it's more about the players and their commitment, humility and eagerness to play. We have a good base to work from now, it's just about improving in areas we might not be as good as we should be.

Not to mention Rassie has said his job could be more hands on depending on who is appointed head coach. In other words not much will change except ***les. Nienebar wouldn't be appointed head if Rassie wasn't still playing a big role I don't think.

I'm not so sure Rassie will be that hands on. The Boks are obviously the pinnacle of SA Rugby so he'll have a decent amount of time dedicated to them but his messaging has consistently been how to use the momentum of the RWC win to make broader changes/improvements. I think in a sense he has bigger fish to fry at every level of the game and Nienaber will be head coach proper.

I'm not so sure Rassie will be that hands on. The Boks are obviously the pinnacle of SA Rugby so he'll have a decent amount of time dedicated to them but his messaging has consistently been how to use the momentum of the RWC win to make broader changes/improvements. I think in a sense he has bigger fish to fry at every level of the game and Nienaber will be head coach proper.

It's a matter of time management. Rassie could still have a form of hands-on approach with the Springboks, but I also doubt he will be as hands-on as we might think. Perhaps more advisory than anything else.

Deon David's will be forwards coach
Stick will become the backline coach

Hopefully Aled Walters and the Irish fella can stay with us
The 2 lads were in Limerick recently and both seem to be continuing. Aled I think is already under contract and Felix is in final stages of sealing deal

Latest posts