No more foreigners in France team says Laporte

FrenchFan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulouse
Laporte has asked Noves to no longer select eligible players into the French national team. Foreign born players will have to be French citizen before they can aspire to selection. The residency rule is not a valid criteria for selection according to Laporte.

This does not impact players already selected and holder of a French passport (or in the process of). Currently Atonio, Nakaitaci, Spedding who are in the France group.

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/xv-de-france/2012-2013/xv-de-france-les-joueurs-etrangers-ne-seront-plus-selectionnes-en-equipe-de-france_sto5988414/story.shtml

I'm not sure how it works in England, if the players concerned - Hartley, Harrison etc have British passports, but here in France it can only be a good thing, as it will undoubtedly give preference to young French players coming through the academies.

I'm not sure how it works in England, if the players concerned - Hartley, Harrison etc have British passports, but here in France it can only be a good thing, as it will undoubtedly give preference to young French players coming through the academies.

Hartley has been in England since he was 16.

I thought it was 13?
Either way both Harrison and Hartley were eligible for English passports from birth, from what I remember

Think Hughes would be the only player in the England squad that would be in trouble if it came into effect over here.

Good for France and the Islands indeed. I've always thought it was ridiculous.

All top tier teams should adopt this. The residency rule was set originally to support developing nations such as Italy and Japan not allow the likes of England, Ireland, SA, NZ and France bolster their already large squads with foreign players.

Good move by Laporte. I know it turns a lot of French fans off supporting France.

Aus, Scotland and Ireland are prob the biggest obstacles currently

The IRFU said they're not too bothered if it changes. I'd say thats the truth. They've already benefited from it and I'd say only Bundee Aki is being lined up now and although hes a good player, we've loads of young centers.

Aus seems to be the country taking most advantage of it these days. You can see they've been raiding the pacific islands for talent.

I thought it was 13?
Either way both Harrison and Hartley were eligible for English passports from birth, from what I remember

Think Hughes would be the only player in the England squad that would be in trouble if it came into effect over here.

I'm pretty sure he played in the Rotorua Boys High School 1st XV along side Liam Messam, that won the national ***le, so 16 sounds more likely.

It is interesting to contemplate what effect it would have on club recruitment of overseas players, if more of the national bodies took this stance, and tightened the limits on how many non-eligible players can play. I know it probably won't effect the french clubs too much, as they aren't that closely aligned with the FFR, and probably are the dominant power in French Rugby ... it's not in their interests to have players away playing test matches, so they'll probably recruit the same way they've always done.

Just has a quick Google and it turns out he was 15.
Makes more sense than 13, as I know he went back to his school during the NZ RWC and you wouldn't do that for a school you were only at for a year or two.
He also played alongside Kelly Haimona, the "Italian" flyhalf.

Just has a quick Google and it turns out he was 15.
Makes more sense than 13, as I know he went back to his school during the NZ RWC and you wouldn't do that for a school you were only at for a year or two.
He also played alongside Kelly Haimona, the "Italian" flyhalf.

Thanks Olyy, that's taken the pressure off .... I try to learn something new every day ... it's still morning here, and I've already accomplished that ... I can relax for the rest of the day :)

Fantastic to see someone in a position of authority realise that mercenary use of residency rules makes a mockery of international sport and can be a big turn off for people like me. I hope France thrash the other 6N sides and show that focussing 100% on developing your own players does not mean undermining long term success.

I think i read he also wants less foreign players in the club's squads? If so, this may reduce inflation in Pro12 clubs wages and help player retention.

Aus seems to be the country taking most advantage of it these days. You can see they've been raiding the pacific islands for talent.

Really?

Well, here is a list of the "brown faces" in the 2016 Wallabies squad (the brown faces are the ones you will be talking about!)

Allan Alaalatoa - born in Sydney, Australia
Israel Folau - born in Minto, Australia
Sekope Kepu - born in Sydney, Australia

Tevita Kuridrani - born in Suva, Fiji - emigrated to Australia in 2007 (16 yo)
Tolu Latu - born in Nuku-alofa, Tonga - emigrated to with his parents Australia in 2002 when he was a 9 yo

Sefanaia Naivalu - born in Levuka, Fiji - emigrated to Australia at the age of 22.
Scott Sio - born in Syndey, Australia
Will Skelton - born in Auckland, New Zealand - emigrated with his family to Australia in 2002 (10 yo)
Henry Speight - born in Suva, Fiji - moved to New Zealand with his parents when he was 14. Played for Waikato 2008-11 before being picked up by the Brumbies
Lopeti Timani - born in Navutoka, Tonga - moved to Australia as an adult, of around 21 years of age

The gold names were born in Australia
The green names have lived all their adult lives in Australia
The black name started his adult rugby career in NZ before moving to Australia.

Out of the ten brown faces in the Aussie team, there are only two that you might fairly level a "raiding" charge over.. Timani and Naivalu.

Now I'm not normally one who will jump to the defence of Aussies, but frankly, your statement that they have been "raiding the pacific islands for talent" is complete bullsh¡t. IMO, its just another tedious repetition of the "poaching" meme and its really getting old.

I don't want to turn this into a poaching argument thread, but by the same token, I'm not letting your bullsh¡t go unchallenged either!

Last edited:
This might be a cultural thing, but i find the rule simply mesmerizing. I simply cannot get my head around it.

I can understand if your family was overseas when you were born (diplomat, military, pro athlete, anything) and your country has some sort of jus sanguinis legislation, but on an everyday thing?

I sincerely try to see argentina luring players from say, bolivia, paraguay, peru, chile, in any sport and it just wouldn't work.
Half the country still questions some of our sportsmen because they don't sing the anthem out loud, imagine if we bring someone who is actually not argentine.

In recent history, i had to think a while in order to come up with a national team member of a top sport here that was not born (and raised) here (Higuain in case you are wondering, his father was playing in France at the time). There probably are more but they are very rare.

If I could have it my way, i would have some sort of fixed rule (doesn't necessarily have to be passport, residence, just a rule) where the neither the player nor the federation have a saying about what country can s/he play for.

We tolerate our players playing for others, in fact we gloat a bit about it, but a non argentine wearing our colours? No thank you (there are probably a few, but again, incredible rare).
It's also about being able to bend the rules in your favor. If you allow these sort of things you will see how countries with more money will eventually benefit from this at the expense of poorer ones. I do not like that.

Then again, as stated, probably a cultural thing.

Really?

Well, here is a list of the "brown faces" in the 2016 Wallabies squad (the brown faces are the ones you will be talking about!)

Tolu Latu - born in Nuku-alofa, Tonga - emigrated to with his parents Australia in 2002 when he was a 9 yo

Sefanaia Naivalu - born in Levuka, Fiji - emigrated to Australia at the age of 22.
Will Skelton - born in Auckland, New Zealand - emigrated with his family to Australia in 2002 (10 yo)
Henry Speight - born in Suva, Fiji - moved to New Zealand with his parents when he was 14. Played for Waikato 2008-11 before being picked up by the Brumbies
Lopeti Timani - born in Navutoka, Tonga - moved to Australia as an adult, of around 21 years of age

Out of the ten brown faces in the Aussie team, there are only two that you might fairly level a "raiding" charge over.. Timani and Naivalu.

Now I'm not normally one who will jump to the defence of Aussies, but frankly, your statement that they have been "raiding the pacific islands for talent" is complete bullsh¡t. IMO, its just another tedious repetition of the "poaching" meme and its really getting old.

I don't want to turn this into a poaching argument thread, but by the same token, I'm not letting your bullsh¡t go unchallenged either!

Brown faces?????

Brown faces?????

Yes, brown faces. Its not meant to be demeaning, it is simply describing the appearance of the players that profitius is talking about when he says "You can see they've been raiding the pacific islands for talent".

Perhaps you can come up with a politically correct (i.e. more acceptable) way of describing the appearance of Pacific Island players that doesn't involve mentioning the colour of their skin. If you can, and I think its better than what I've used, I'll edit my post and make the changes.

Yes, brown faces. Its not meant to be demeaning, it is simply describing the appearance of the players that profitius is talking about when he says "You can see they've been raiding the pacific islands for talent".

Perhaps you can come up with a politically correct (i.e. more acceptable) way of describing the appearance of Pacific Island players that doesn't involve mentioning the colour of their skin. If you can, and I think its better than what I've used, I'll edit my post and make the changes.

How about Pacific Islanders? Not sure why you have to mention appearance....

How about Pacific Islanders? Not sure why you have to mention appearance....

Stop dancing around the issue, and stop trying to deflect from what I was asking you

Profitius said; and I quote... "You can see they've been raiding the pacific islands for talent"

I would like to know how he could see this. How did he know which players were Pacific Islanders? Was it the way they wore their hair? Was it their names? If not skin colour, what was the clue?

If you don't know, just admit you don't know, and move on

Last edited:
Stop dancing around the issue, and stop trying to deflect from what I was asking you

Profitius said; and I quote... "You can see they've been raiding the pacific islands for talent"

I would like to know how he could see this. How did he know which players were Pacific Islanders? Was it the way they wore their hair? Was it their names? If not skin colour, what was the clue?

If you don't know, just admit you don't know, and move on

I don't know. I can't speak for him.

Really?

You've proved my point. They've a squad packed with Pacific islanders. They are also very keen for the residency rules to not be changed.

Latest posts