• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

No more foreigners in France team says Laporte

tax is still higher but overall cost is much high in comparison, this is the SA players telling me what they are experiencing, not me inventing.

Last edited:
tax is still higher but overall cost is much high in comparison, this is the SA players telling me what they are experiencing, not me inventing.

France
[TABLE="width: 633"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #006FD2, align: left"]Income Share[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #006FD2, align: left"]Tax Rate[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Up to €9,700[/TD]
[TD]0%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Between €9,701 - €26,791[/TD]
[TD]14%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Between €26,792 - €71,826[/TD]
[TD]30%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Between €71,827 - €152,108[/TD]
[TD]41%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Above €151,108[/TD]
[TD]45%[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

South Africa
[TABLE="class: ms-rteTable-default, width: 1196"]
<tbody>[TR="class: ms-rteTableHeaderRow-default"]
[TH="class: ms-rteTableHeaderEvenCol-default"]​Taxable income (R) (Euros in brackets)[/TH]
[TH="class: ms-rteTableHeaderOddCol-default"]​Rates of tax (R)[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: ms-rteTableOddRow-default"]
[TD="class: ms-rteTableEvenCol-default"]​0 - 181 900 (12,590)[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-rteTableOddCol-default"]​18% of each R1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: ms-rteTableEvenRow-default"]
[TD="class: ms-rteTableEvenCol-default"]​181 901 (12,590) - 284 100 (19,759)[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-rteTableOddCol-default"]​32 742 + 26% of the amount above 181 900[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: ms-rteTableEvenCol-default"]​284 101 (19,759) - 393 200 (27,358)[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-rteTableOddCol-default"]​59 314 + 31% of the amount above 284 100[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: ms-rteTableEvenCol-default"]​393 201 (27,358) - 550 100 (38,275)[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-rteTableOddCol-default"]​93 135 + 36% of the amount above 393 200[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: ms-rteTableEvenCol-default"]​550 101 (38,275) - 701 300 (48,777)[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-rteTableOddCol-default"]​149 619 + 39% of the amount above 550 100[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: ms-rteTableEvenCol-default"]​701 301 (48,777) and above[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-rteTableOddCol-default"]​208 587 + 41% of the amount above 701 300[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I understand that the player told you that, but the actual taxation figures indicate that the player is wrong, tax is higher in South Africa , unless they earn significantly more than 151,000 euros.

without disclosing figues which i do know but would not put them out there, the average player is probably on higher than you quote so they do pay higher taxes plus the much higher cost of living in general.

Good for France and the Islands indeed. I've always thought it was ridiculous.

Yes agreed, but surely its time Oz and NZ were stopped from pillaging from the Islands.

- - - Updated - - -

Its too short. IMO, it should be at least 5 years (I would prefer 8 years personally) but that period should not extend back to less than the age of 17. For example, I would not like to see a 15 year old, who emigrates to a new country with his parents (so not his choice) being restricted until he was 23 years old.

An adult rugby player who has played elite rugby in the country of his birth, should not be eligible to play for another country until they have resided in their new country for 8 years. This would put a stop to players like Spedding (France), Stander (Ireland), Anscombe (Wales), Nel (Scotland), van Schalkwyk (Italy) and Payne (Ireland) turning out for those countries until they had resided and played rugby there for 8 years.

I would also ditch the grandparent rule.

I think 5 years would be right, oh and you can have Anscombe back he is very average.

without disclosing figues which i do know but would not put them out there, the average player is probably on higher than you quote so they do pay higher taxes plus the much higher cost of living in general.

Are you basing that on what Wiaan Liebenberg, Paul Willemse and Jacques Du Plessis have told you, or what other Saffas have told you?

The reason why I'm asking this, is that if it were only these 3 guys mentioned above, then I would take it with a pinch of salt, as they couldn't be used as the correct yard stick. They won't know what the cost of living would be in comparison between SA and France. All 3 of them were still students, living together with other players as part of the Bulls youth squads where some of their living costs were paid for them.

so you are saying because they were students they know nothing, i think there is enough people who have experience and already living in France able to give them all the advice they need, not knowing the various means of Communication in SA i will not comment but here we have many means here so there are no problems and it's also part of one of my tasks along with my partner to sort out situations in normal life outside of the club for these players arriving from foreign countries..

so you are saying because they were students they know nothing, i think there is enough people who have experience and already living in France able to give them all the advice they need, not knowing the various means of Communication in SA i will not comment but here we have many means here so there are no problems and it's also part of one of my tasks along with my partner to sort out situations in normal life outside of the club for these players arriving from foreign countries..

I'm saying that they, themseleves won't be able to give you a good comparison of living costs. They wouldn't have been the owner of a property to pay mortgage bills, utility bills plus other taxes. Plus, while they were students, they didn't have to pay taxes in SA, so they weren't as badly affected by the problems the everyday Adult lives with in SA.

but we have a world of info to give them so of course they are already understanding of the situation of normal life in France. Plus they all know Players who are already or have been in France playing rugby, so i really dont know where you are coming from with these statements, today players dont just turn up hoping there is someone at the airport to hold there hands for the first 6 months, and not that many players buy houses as they will one day return to SA most rent their properties.

but we have a world of info to give them so of course they are already understanding of the situation of normal life in France. Plus they all know Players who are already or have been in France playing rugby, so i really dont know where you are coming from with these statements, today players dont just turn up hoping there is someone at the airport to hold there hands for the first 6 months, and not that many players buy houses as they will one day return to SA most rent their properties.

You are looking at this all wrong.

I'm saying that they can't use a comparison between SA and France, as they weren't used to the living expenses the everyday South African lives with because they were students in SA just before they went to France.

But I will disagree with you with the players who return will rent. It would be a dumb move by them not to buy. They will be able to buy upmarket property at a very good rate with the salaries they are getting in France. Plus if they are able to save up, and bring that money home and convert it to Rands, they will be able to put down a nice deposit which will make their mortgage less.

you may disagree with me but as i know that all the players from SA are renting in Montpellier and not buying how can you disagree when you do not know, there is also the little problem of can they sell when they leave and properties around Montpellier are very expensive, that money is tied up and if there is a property slump they loose money, have you ever bought property abroad (somehow i dont think so) i have and its a very complexed affair, renting is far easy and no problems when you leave if you are only staying for max 5 yrs

you may disagree with me but as i know that all the players from SA are renting in Montpellier and not buying how can you disagree when you do not know, there is also the little problem of can they sell when they leave and properties around Montpellier are very expensive, that money is tied up and if there is a property slump they loose money, have you ever bought property abroad (somehow i dont think so) i have and its a very complexed affair, renting is far easy and no problems when you leave if you are only staying for max 5 yrs

What???

You are reading my post all wrong and stop being so aggressive.

Read it again!!

I said that if they RETURN, they won't rent. As in, when they come back to South Africa!! Geez, it's like talking to a brick!

But Gaston wrote that they rent in France, didn't he/ you?

of course he did but, the Almighty H does not want to understand that, he only reads and writes what he wants, taking no consideration for others!!! but thankyou Car for pointing this out.

What is up with French Club rugby this season? The quality of games hasn't been all that good in the Top 14, and from the games I have seen so far, it looks like the crowds are well down on last year.

I watched Dan Carter's Racing 92 v Munster last weekend (admittedly that was a Champions Cup match). It was a home game for Racing, a "winner goes to the top of the Pool" clash, yet there appeared to be barely 9,000 in the crowd.

What is up with French Club rugby this season? The quality of games hasn't been all that good in the Top 14, and from the games I have seen so far, it looks like the crowds are well down on last year.

I watched Dan Carter's Racing 92 v Munster last weekend (admittedly that was a Champions Cup match). It was a home game for Racing, a "winner goes to the top of the Pool" clash, yet there appeared to be barely 9,000 in the crowd.

you have probably picked the one of the teams that are poorly supported, next season they have a brand new stadium around 20,000 and how they expect to fill it is beyond me.
There are quite a few teams that have lost crowd numbers this season including us at Montpellier. The TOP 14 has become more and more defence orientated which is not pleasing to the modern day crowds. Myself 3-3 draws of long ago pleased as much as 6 try games, but maybe i'm showing my age. The importance of winning is becoming just too much, you may have seen we have got Aaren Cruden for Montpellier next season salary estimated at 800,000. Whether French clubs can get back to using home bred talent is not so sure, but i think Laporte is trying his best and with co operaton from Noves it could happen but don't put too much money on it.
There are still plenty of good games to watch irrespective of what i've mentioned but French TOP 14 rugby will never be like your SH super rugby 2 very differnt animals.

you have probably picked the one of the teams that are poorly supported, next season they have a brand new stadium around 20,000 and how they expect to fill it is beyond me.
There are quite a few teams that have lost crowd numbers this season including us at Montpellier. The TOP 14 has become more and more defence orientated which is not pleasing to the modern day crowds. Myself 3-3 draws of long ago pleased as much as 6 try games, but maybe i'm showing my age. The importance of winning is becoming just too much, you may have seen we have got Aaren Cruden for Montpellier next season salary estimated at 800,000. Whether French clubs can get back to using home bred talent is not so sure, but i think Laporte is trying his best and with co operaton from Noves it could happen but don't put too much money on it.
There are still plenty of good games to watch irrespective of what i've mentioned but French TOP 14 rugby will never be like your SH super rugby 2 very differnt animals.

I was wondering if having most of the Top 14 teams packed with foreign talent has been a novelty that is beginning to wear off. If, as you imply, Racing and Montpelier are among the teams with declining crowd numbers, how are they going to pay for the two highest paid rugby players (Carter and Cruden) in the competition?

Last edited:
I was wondering if having most of the Top 14 teams packed with foreign talent has been a novelty that is beginning to wear off. If, as you say imply, Racing and Montpelier are among the teams with declining crowd numbers, how are they going to pay for the two highest paid rugby players (Carter and Cruden) in the competition?

the league brings in 97 million euros a year just from TV rights, I don't know how that is divvied up but I imagine it puts Racing Metro to be in a position to not be too worried about attendance numbers

attendance is down here for baseball but the sport has never been bringing in more money

Latest posts