• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

No more foreigners in France team says Laporte

I was wondering if having most of the Top 14 teams packed with foreign talent has been a novelty that is beginning to wear off. If, as you imply, Racing and Montpelier are among the teams with declining crowd numbers, how are they going to pay for the two highest paid rugby players (Carter and Cruden) in the competition?

The money is there for these stars, it is only this year that numbers have declined and we at Montpellier have far more than 4/5 seasons ago. The new rules laid down by Laporte may change the number of foreigners in the clubs but i very much doubt it's going to change by much but we will see. Noves whats all French in the National team which is quite possible but at some time or other the young French coming through have to be used, now that's a completely different topic!!!.

that has already happened in France, now 5yrs residency and must be a holder of a French passport, since Laporte became President it was one of the first things he did.

that has already happened in France, now 5yrs residency and must be a holder of a French passport, since Laporte became President it was one of the first things he did.

Yet no quotas for club sides from what I saw - it's a strong move but difficult to see how this will work to the benefit of the French national side without restrictions at domestic level.

the novelty of watching Carter has worn off for me. And he plays for Racing. A team I don't watch unless we're playing them.

We don't need Cruden. Great player but not needed in our league. When will the penny drop for Altrad and Montpellier to start producing their own quality players?

Yet no quotas for club sides from what I saw - it's a strong move but difficult to see how this will work to the benefit of the French national side without restrictions at domestic level.

does the RFU enforce an actual quota to limit foreign players in the Premiership or is it just a gentleman's agreement with the clubs? genuine question.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it both, or either?

Strictly holder of a French passport from what I heard. Laporte said he is going to ignore residency rule.

does the RFU enforce an actual quota to limit foreign players in the Premiership or is it just a gentleman's agreement with the clubs? genuine question.

- - - Updated - - -

Strictly holder of a French passport from what I heard. Laporte said he is going to ignore residency rule.

Clubs don't have to reach the quota BUT if they fail to reach it they don't get extra funding.

But a player could still be granted a passport after less than 5 years due to some kind of special laws regarding sportspeople?

Or is that wrong?

The quotas are part of the EPS agreement and the clubs don't have to, they just lose money if they don't reach them.

As far as i know it's now 5 years instead of 3 yrs, dont take this as gospel but i hink the passport comes with the 5 yrs and not before presumably to close any loopholes.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't need Cruden. Great player but not needed in our league. When will the penny drop for Altrad and Montpellier to start producing their own quality players?

so you are now a spokes person for Montpellier, we produce quality players (you had one at Toulouse for long enough) all the time? we have an excellent Academy but if the club wishes to not keep them then thats their decision and it's good for them to go and get experience in the Pro D2. We wanted a world class no 10 so we found one, if you concentrated on your own club and their goalkicking they could be better placed in the TOP 14.

so you are now a spokes person for Montpellier, we produce quality players all the time? we have an excellent Academy but if the club wishes to not keep them then thats their decision and it's good for them to go and get experience in the Pro D2.

Just speaking as a fan and I'm saying I don't want another foreign star. A percentage across the league doesn't bother me. But not an entire bloody team. You're not producing any quality French player period. You said it yourself, they end up in ProD2. And not one single pick for the national team.

(you had one at Toulouse for long enough)
yes Louis Picamoles. But Louis became the player he's now after joining Toulouse.

if you concentrated on your own club and their goalkicking they could be better placed in the TOP 14.

Didn't stop us from beating Clermont on new years eve and making it to 4th place. We're fine. No need to recruit Cruden and an army of imports.

Last edited:
Glad to see the RFU following the lead of the FFR in supporting an increase to 5 years. Hopefully it'll gather momentum and a longer residency period will be pushed through.

Just speaking as a fan and I'm saying I don't want another foreign star. A percentage across the league doesn't bother me. But not an entire bloody team. You're not producing any quality French player period. You said it yourself, they end up in ProD2. And not one single pick for the national team.

so Picamoles FTD and Galletier, dont count all came out of Montpellier's Academy all playing international rugby this season and last and they do not end up in ProD2 they are sent there by the club often on loan to get the experience, get your facts right.

3 players is a pitiful return. We've 2 generations of internationals. Apples v bananas

You're not producing any quality French players. Who and where the hell are they??

Your players leave to make room for imports, they can't develop.

We don't send our best youngsters to ProD2. They play with the senior side in Top 14 and Europe. Currently: Tolofua Marchand Aldegheri Baille Bonneval Cros Verhaeghe (19) Camara. That's EIGHT U23 kids on a pro contract and PLAYING. Baille (22) is in France squad, Tolofua (23) not far off he was our MoM v Clermont.

Last edited:
so well done Toulouse, i also think that if we had been in the elite as long as Toulouse have we could maybe be able to boast, but we haven't we came up in 2003/4 which is not that long ago, never returned to the Pro D2 and we are now progressing in the right direction.
I find i it quite amusing that after months of slagging off the French National team YOU are now so proud and devoted to it. This is not the case for Montpellier, we have other goals but i have always stood by this. I would not want to be looking in previous threads of yours when Noves was in control and bring up some of your comments, but i'm not that sort of person, if you want to have a dig go ahead at Montpellier it's no skin of my nose, there a little eventon the weekend of 18th Feb and then we could see who is where and who has done what.!!!

Forgot to mention is not Camara one of Montpellier's signings for next season, that goes a little against the grain somewhat.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
but I'm not boasting. I've just listed the youngsters in our squad. How's that boasting.

Your time spent in elite is irrelevant to points discussed though. Other clubs have been around in the elite for as long as we have. What have they go to show for it. Not the point. It's your recruitment and players management and wages policy that's the issue.
Our long time in elite and trophy cabinet didn't happen by sending our youngsters to ProD2 like you describe and recruiting truckloads of foreigners. And we didn't need a sugar daddy either.

You can bring up whatever thread you want. Depends how relevant to the points discussed though. Point discussed is Montpellier are producing rubbish French players. FTD and Picamoles are Not younsters. They're in their 30s. So outside of Galletier there is nobody else. I'm talking about young French talent coming thru. You have NONE. Not one single player of note. Galletier has potential but he's not getting enough game time to make his mark.

I didn't slag off the French team. I was slagging off the union under Camous and his clique and what they were making of the French team. Big difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention is not Camara one of Montpellier's signings for next season, that goes a little against the grain somewhat.

It doesn't. It illustrates my point about your club producing rubbish and pushing salary inflation in Top 14. Camara is another Toulouse product. His salary will nearly triple from 15K to 45K monthly and for a 22 yo that's not right. Apart from that he's world class, I know, we made him. My point.

We know where we are and what we have done. And your team is no yardstick to gauge that, don't kid yourself. We're the most successful club in French rugby. You're currently the most hated club in T14 according to L'Equipe. http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Article/Altrad-seul-contre-tous/766092
Your little event isn't going to change that...

Last edited:
i'm now leaving the school playground, as your dad is bigger than my dad fiasco does not work for me, whatever happens whether we supply or we do not supply players for the National squad is of little relevance to the club, we are here to gain a Bouclier for the first time, if you want to believe that Toulouse is the best thing since sliced bread carry on my friend, it's like pouring water on a ducks back. If we are hated by all, that's incentive to get up in the morning and beat all, more duck and more water. If you feel you need to be in the haters of Montpellier club once again more duck and more water. The fact as i said earlier this season is Toulouse have massive financial problems and cannot afford to pay players their worth, good job teams like us and others can, but you carry on producing and the world will carry on employing them, sad but true.!!!

3 players is a pitiful return. We've 2 generations of internationals. Apples v bananas

You're not producing any quality French players. Who and where the hell are they??

Your players leave to make room for imports, they can't develop..

I've been saying this for a long time, but people have dismissed it, so finally, its good to see the truth dawning on some.

This is simple mathematics to me. If you have 14 teams in your top level domestic competition, then you have 14 starting spots at the top level to develop 14 international quality level players in any given position, say, Fly Half. Bring Jonny Wilkinson/Matt Giteau to Toulon and you are down to 13, bring in Dan Carter to Racing and you're down to 12. Add in Aaron Cruden to Montpellier and you reduce that to 11. Morne Steyn at Stade Francaise makes it 10. Then you have Colin Slade and Santiago Fernandez (Pau), Luke McAlliser and Toby Flood (Stade Toulousain), Burton Francis and Bautista Guemes (Agen), Brock James (Clermont), Zac Holmes (La Rochelle), Benjamin Urdapilleta and Dan Kirkpatrick (Castres), Demetri Catrakilis and Ben Lucas (Montpellier). If you keep doing this you start to compromise the development of players for your international squad.

Every time a New Zealand or Australian player in the latter half of his career goes to France for the Euros, a door closes on a young French player playing in his position, and a door opens for new, young talented player here. The regular flow of players from NZ and Australia has, in many ways, been as good for New Zealand and Australian Rugby as it has been bad for French rugby.

this is all obviously true but until the French clubs are behind the National squad it will carry on just like it is today. The only other thing that i will add is that according to the clubs a young French player is extremely expensive to put through the Academies, and its an expense that is paid irrespective of the results of that player, whether this is right or wrong the clubs have for many years now decided that it may be better to recrute abroad, rugby has had massive changes over the last 15yrs, Toulon started this when they were in the Pro D2 and its excellerated since. The other massive problem is the FFR and the LNR and until they start to work together as one unit then not much wil change, i'm afraid that France is a very different animal to many other rugby playing countries, this is not an excuse its how it is, or as we say in France "c'est la vie"

If you feel you need to be in the haters of Montpellier club once again more duck and more water.

Can't help if the list of your haters is growing, blame your club not me. Our club wasn't built on ******* down every other clubs neck. Sadly Altrad doesn't see that. He thinks money will buy everything. It doesn't buy a reputation among many other things and yours is down the toilet. This is the issue with Altrad in Top 14. He's made an ennemy of every club president as L'Equipe correctly states. http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Article/...re-tous/766092

The fact as i said earlier this season is Toulouse have massive financial problems and cannot afford to pay players their worth

It's not fact. We're on same budget as last season. Pub talk. And paying players their true worth.. ah ah what a laugh :lol:. Camara will be on same money as Dusautoir in his last season :huh: his true worth?! Camara's salary is that of a senior nternational. Only problem he's not a senior international. He is 22 with 3 caps to his name. I don't know of any other younster on that kind of money. I have no issue with our players being poached as we're doing it as well, but we don't turn kids heads with ridiculous money and make promises with an empty trophy cabinet behind us....

Altrad is just distorting the transfer market and pushing wages inflation in T14 and outside. And he doesn't bring anything else to the party as you're not producing any French players of note and getting walloped in CCup all the same.
You don't know the true worth of a player because in Camara's case Altrad's offer was way way over the market. His salary's has more than triple. You can't push salary inflation and then claim same time you're paying players their true worth. What a load of bollix.

but you carry on producing and the world will carry on employing them, sad but true.!!!

well this is open to debate in your case. Again Picamoles became the player he's now after his move to Toulouse. You've precious little record of turning youngsters with potential into great player. You're not using your French players. My point all along. Signing Camara is one thing. Fulfilling his potential by providing him with the right team environment is another. If Camara is benched over another import when he was a 1st starter with us then your club is just another graveyard for talent. My point all along :)

Last edited:

Latest posts