Julian Savea (Hurricanes)
Ben Smith (Highlanders)

Blues - 4
Chiefs - 8
Hurricanes - 4
Crusaders - 9
Highlanders - 8

General thoughts:

Pretty happy with this squad, my only real disappointment is that James Lowe has been overlooked. I would have liked to see Weber picked but with TKB in the squad that was always going to be unlikely. It will be interesting to see who the team bring in for the Rugby Championship and the EOYT. Tom Franklin is the biggest surprise - I don't think anyone saw that coming. Barrett ("All Black of the future" according to Grant Fox) and Bird were both touted ahead of him, but it sounds like the selectors have had their eyes on him for quite a while!

Only four players in the squad with more than 50 caps!

Last edited:
Ioane and Moala are the players I'd have expected to see from half-hearted following a couple of years back - injured or eclipsed?

Ioane and Moala are the players I'd have expected to see from half-hearted following a couple of years back - injured or eclipsed?

The Ioane brothers are both with the Sevens squad for the Olympics (Savea was too but subsequently pulled out) and thus weren't expected to be named in the squad. Akira will certainly be in the squad next year and hopefully will be there for the End of Year tour too.

Moala hasn't been on form this year, he's regressed a little bit. He was originally selected as centre cum wing, a position which has effectively been filled by Seta Tamanivalu in this squad (for a number of reasons, I think his combination with Ngatai is quite important in this instance). With the inclusion of McKenzie and Dagg too there's not a lot of space there so Moala drops out.

Moala is average, there are many wingers/centres in NZ before him.

Last edited:
Very impressive AB's squad. If the world thought there would be a step backwards with the threat of the AB's with so many players retiring then a look though this squad on paper makes for some scary reading.

Elliot Dixon is an incredible talent and not only a rock around the field with his work rate but he is an absolute athlete with the ball in hand. Has major chance of being a long term AB. Complete skill-set of what you want from a modern forward.

Liam Squire - brute of a player more in the South Africa mold of abrasive forward. Certainly offers a lot of impact off the bench though id favor Dixon as the better player long term.

Ardie Savea
- Easily the best number 7 in New Zealand and quite possibly world rugby. The all blacks had a legendary open side flanker before Richard McCaw by the name of Michael Jones who could run the ball like no-other. Well Ardie Savea is Michael Jones on Steriods. He is a stand out, while Cane will start for the AB's, Ardie coming on for the final 25mins will be an absolute nightmare for other nations to deal with. If you have no idea of this guys talent - I suggest you Youtube him right now!! He is SPECIAL

Damien Mckenzie - Everybody who has seen this kid play knows he is something special. Very fast, very agile, very intelligent. WHAT A TALENT!

Seta Tamilvalu - Simply put a beast, very reminiscent of an early SBW, probably faster though and a bit more explosive. Will need some development but highly menacing.

Charlie Ngatai - Kid can play, most dynamic and all rounded gifted no12 in NZ Rugby. Must be close to starting but expect Fekitoa to get that spot with is dynamic impact, with Ngatai coming off the bench. Really suits the AB's required skillset player.

Just extraordinary that a nation as small as New Zealand continues to produce rugby players of this talent.

Very impressive AB's squad. If the world thought there would be a step backwards with the threat of the AB's with so many players retiring then a look though this squad on paper makes for some scary reading.

oh_really_tell.jpg

Charlie Ngatai - Kid can play, most dynamic and all rounded gifted no12 in NZ Rugby. Must be close to starting but expect Fekitoa to get that spot with is dynamic impact, with Ngatai coming off the bench. Really suits the AB's required skillset player.

Huh? Fekitoa and Ngatai play different positions.

Elliot Dixon is an incredible talent and not only a rock around the field with his work rate but he is an absolute athlete with the ball in hand. Has major chance of being a long term AB. Complete skill-set of what you want from a modern forward.

Liam Squire - brute of a player more in the South Africa mold of abrasive forward. Certainly offers a lot of impact off the bench though id favor Dixon as the better player long term.

Ardie Savea
- Easily the best number 7 in New Zealand and quite possibly world rugby. The all blacks had a legendary open side flanker before Richard McCaw by the name of Michael Jones who could run the ball like no-other. Well Ardie Savea is Michael Jones on Steriods. He is a stand out, while Cane will start for the AB's, Ardie coming on for the final 25mins will be an absolute nightmare for other nations to deal with. If you have no idea of this guys talent - I suggest you Youtube him right now!! He is SPECIAL

Damien Mckenzie - Everybody who has seen this kid play knows he is something special. Very fast, very agile, very intelligent. WHAT A TALENT!

Seta Tamilvalu - Simply put a beast, very reminiscent of an early SBW, probably faster though and a bit more explosive. Will need some development but highly menacing.

Just extraordinary that a nation as small as New Zealand continues to produce rugby players of this talent.

Slightly overrating Savea.... Yes he's been great but he has not played a major international side yet. He's got major flaws in his game (mostly staying focused and not acting like a 12 year old kid).

Savea has just as much ability to win us a game as loose it at INT level imo if he's not managed properly. Sam Cane and even Matt Todd are both safer options for now until Savea grows up a bit.

I guess Liam Squire is about the only surprise for me... but then with the HL staying fairly consistent from last year they were always going to get another couple of players in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh? Fekitoa and Ngatai play different positions.
I highly doubt Fekitoa is seen as a long term 13. He's certainly more of a 12 imo.

Well, is the only sport that you play seriously. In all the others sports like rugby league, cricket or soccer you are smashed by Australia

Breakdown by Super team:

Hookers
Dane Coles (Hurricanes)
Codie Taylor (Crusaders)
Nathan Harris (Chiefs)

Props
Wyatt Crockett (Crusaders)
Charlie Faumuina (Blues)
Owen Franks (Crusaders)
Joe Moody (Crusaders)
Ofa Tu'ungafasi (Blues)

Locks
Brodie Retallick (Chiefs)
Luke Romano (Crusaders)
Patrick Tuipulotu (Blues)
Samuel Whitelock (Crusaders)
Tom Franklin (Highlanders)

Loose Forwards
Sam Cane (Chiefs)
Elliot Dixon (Highlanders)
Jerome Kaino (Blues)
Kieran Read (Crusaders)
Ardie Savea (Hurricanes)
Liam Squire (Highlanders)

Halfbacks
Tawera Kerr–Barlow (Chiefs)
Aaron Smith (Highlanders)
TJ Perenara (Hurricanes)

First five–eighths
Beauden Barrett (Hurricanes)
Aaron Cruden (Chiefs)
Lima Sopoaga (Highlanders)

Midfielders
Ryan Crotty (Crusaders)
Malakai Fekitoa (Highlanders)
Charlie Ngatai (Chiefs)
Seta Tamanivalu (Chiefs)

Outside backs
Israel Dagg (Crusaders)
Damian McKenzie (Chiefs)
Waisake Naholo (Highlanders
Julian Savea (Hurricanes)
Ben Smith (Highlanders)

Blues - 4
Chiefs - 8
Hurricanes - 4
Crusaders - 9
Highlanders - 8

General thoughts:

Pretty happy with this squad, my only real disappointment is that James Lowe has been overlooked. I would have liked to see Weber picked but with TKB in the squad that was always going to be unlikely. It will be interesting to see who the team bring in for the Rugby Championship and the EOYT. Tom Franklin is the biggest surprise - I don't think anyone saw that coming. Barrett ("All Black of the future" according to Grant Fox) and Bird were both touted ahead of him, but it sounds like the selectors have had their eyes on him for quite a while!

Only four players in the squad with more than 50 caps!

A hell of a strong squad there not just for this June series, but also going forward.

Well, is the only sport that you play seriously. In all the others sports like rugby league, cricket or soccer you are smashed by Australia

If you're not going to contribute anything of value to the forum I'm going to start deleting your posts and then (if that doesn't get you to stop your bleating) ban you.

I love the way we are going.. we have lost some serious experience but now we have some young talent to build for the future. Im excited for the first game of the international season.

If you're not going to contribute anything of value to the forum I'm going to start deleting your posts and then (if that doesn't get you to stop your bleating) ban you.

Ban to the Latin user with the largest number of messages will not look good for the globalization of this forum.

Sometimes the Kiwis are very unbearable when talk about rugby "We are the best rugby nation", "We produce the best talent in the world", "We are only two small islands and beat anybody". The Kiwis should be more humble

Also pretty outdated given NZ rugby league record v Aus recently.

Semi Radradra doesn't think the same

Well from the sh*t show I just watched, we're looking at 50+ point wins for the AB's in all 3 tests, with probably an easy win for the Chief's 2nd XV too.

We are going backwards as a team at a rapid pace, and don't see us turning it around any time soon.

Well from the sh*t show I just watched, we're looking at 50+ point wins for the AB's in all 3 tests, with probably an easy win for the Chief's 2nd XV too.

We are going backwards as a team at a rapid pace, and don't see us turning it around any time soon.

It's gonna be a terrible year for Welsh rugby. I hate to be all doom and gloom but that game was ridiculous

Ban to the Latin user with the largest number of messages will not look good for the globalization of this forum.

Sometimes the Kiwis are very unbearable when talk about rugby "We are the best rugby nation", "We produce the best talent in the world", "We are only two small islands and beat anybody". The Kiwis should be more humble

Semi Radradra doesn't think the same

With 5-6 x the population, perhaps you need to tell us what Argentina are good at, other than sheila's games like soccer? What is their olympic medal record compared to NZ? Otherwise, stick to girls games, eh?