• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

O'Driscoll or Keane

Who is more famous in Ireland?

• Brian O'Driscoll

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
T

thegameoflegends

Hi, I am from Australia. My friend and I were discussing yesterday who we thought would be more famous in Ireland, Roy Keane or Brian O'Driscoll. Would any Irish people be able to settle this debate for us?

Sorry, i was unsure as to where to post this topic

Obviously it's Roy Keane. Rugby isn't nearly as big as football there (much like England) and most people support premiership sides.

It's a bit like comparing Johnny Wilkinson to David Beckham here. Everyone may have heard of Wilkinson, but everyone knows who Bekham actually is.

Or, consider it like comparing the Bush Tucker Man to The Crocodile Hunter.

Yeah, Basically what Teh Mite said. I think the majority of Britain has football as their top sport, so it would be Roy Keane.

Yeah, Basically what Teh Mite said. I think the majority of Britain has football as their top sport, so it would be Roy Keane.

Well it'd have to be O'Driscoll, his profile is now much bigger than Roy Keane, he actually lives and works in the country as well. Rugby's profile has risen massively in the last few years, on average a big soccer international gets 500000 viewers whereas the Ireland England match had ratings of 825000. Fair enough the AIs didn't even get close to those figures but everyone in this country knows who Brian O'Driscoll, he has a far bigger media profile than Roy Keane has ever had, bar the Saipan incident.

Well yeah, that's actually what I'd have thought too... Because isn't soccer still more the Northern Ireland thing, with Gaelic football being the game in the south and then Rugby being the only game that represents both?

Gaelic games are the number 1 and 2 sport and played by most.

Soccer is the sport that will catch the national attention the most, when we qualify for the world cup there's nothing to compare to it. It's not just a NI thing, even though embarassingly for us we're now behind them in the world rankings, damn you Stan, you really don't have a scooby doo. :rahh: anyway getting sidetracked there

Rugby is the 4th sport in this country but it really is punching above its weight. The success of the provinces and the national team really have risen the profile. It's so much easier in a small country for any success to catch the public's imagination which has really been the case in rugby, I'd imagine it was the same in NZ when Campbell won the US Open that his profile sky rocketed.

Well it'd have to be O'Driscoll, his profile is now much bigger than Roy Keane, he actually lives and works in the country as well. Rugby's profile has risen massively in the last few years, on average a big soccer international gets 500000 viewers whereas the Ireland England match had ratings of 825000. Fair enough the AIs didn't even get close to those figures but everyone in this country knows who Brian O'Driscoll, he has a far bigger media profile than Roy Keane has ever had, bar the Saipan incident.
[/b]

Also O'Driscoll isn't a blatant thug and a coward who lunges with two feet tackles to break opposition players legs along with harrassing and intimidating referees.

Why exactly do people call dive-ball "the beautiful game" again? :huh:

he was certainly not a coward, he was without doubt the best captain united ever ever had, who can forget his performance in the 99 semi final

a true fighter and a hero!!

It's wishful thinking that BOD is more famous than Keane. Regardless of Ireland's recent success soccer is still way more popular than rugby.
Also Keane is a hero to all the knackers here as he played not only for Man United but also for Celtic. And he got angry at someone for being English.

His face is everywhere, he does a number of adverts, it's nothing to do with knackers worshiping Keane, there's plenty of knackers jumping on the rugby bandwagon. It's not wishful thinking that BOD is more famous, it's a fact. Everyone knows who Brian O'Driscoll is, while Keane's profile is on the wane, plus BOD thrives being in the limelight whereas Keane pulls back from it.

haha thnks rob :) got the reputation to keep up

merry christmas everyone, be safe!!

he was certainly not a coward, he was without doubt the best captain united ever ever had, who can forget his performance in the 99 semi final

a true fighter and a hero!!
[/b]

And who could forget him and half a dozen other Man United players chasing a referee around the pitch, shoving him around and swearing at him for having the temerity to try impose some kind of authority. :rolleyes:

Yes, what a true hero indeed. Note the sarcasm there guys.

More like what a boon to the out-of-control, lawless and dishonest nature that now dominates dive-ball.

The guy makes me sick. There are dozens Irish heroes and heroines like Veronica Guerin or BOD who stand head and shoulders on a very tall firemans ladder above scumbags like Keane.

the thing is though that none of the accomplishments, of which Keane's are greater than BOD, have any impact on the relative strengths of their fame.

<div class='quotemain'>
gavin henson shits over bod!!!
[/b]

number of caps as captain for their respective country tells me otherwise..
[/b][/quote]

don't rise to the bait mate. :lol:

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Also O'Driscoll isn't a blatant thug and a coward who lunges with two feet tackles to break opposition players legs along with harrassing and intimidating referees.

Why exactly do people call dive-ball "the beautiful game" again? :huh:
[/b][/quote]

I believe because it was originally intended as a game to keep models and actors fit, while making sure they wouldn't ever get hurt or damage their pretty faces.

Latest posts