• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Offensive Team Names

Just spied this on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-36965975

Apparently an academic and native American history expert is calling for Exeter Chiefs to change their name as it promotes our colonial past and appropriates native American culture.

I can follow the point to an extent, but it seems like a step too far to me. It's not as if Exeter are celebrating the colonisation and I'm not convinced that cultural appropriation is a negative thing. Should the All Blacks be made to stop performing the haka as they're a diverse group appropriating one particular culture? Should the Cornish Pirates change name as they're celebrating the nefarious ways of their eye patch wearing namesakes?

IIRC, teams in the states have been under pressure to change their names (e.g. Braves and Redskins), but I don't know if anything has come of it. Come to think of it, the Fighting Irish is surely more offensive.

Thoughts anyone?

As with all pseudo-liberal plonkers, this 'expert' needs to wind his neck in.

If he is that offended by all the wrongs in the world, I will personally pay his air-fare so that he can lecture Boko Harum on why FGM is bad hmmmkay. Or maybe he can go to Saudi Arabia and lecture them on why throwing homosexual people to death from buildings is not very tickedyboo.

How about I find the expert offensive and he appropriates common sense? Will he then have himself banned?

The American-Indians have worse things to be worried about than a sports team using their name - poverty, rife alcoholism amongst their 16-24 year olds and child abuse amongst their ethnic group being above the USA national average are amongst their most pressing issues.

The phoney grievance culture around the world only fuels the fire of racism and hatred, it does nothing to solve it. Get over your political correctness and learn to fix the actual problems (the problem is almost always the Government and bureaucracy).

Seems fair.
We've spent the last 12 months saying "Rugby Against Racism" whilst turning a blind eye to a racist logo, bar names, the tomahawk chop and plastic headdresses.
Nobody can make Exeter change their branding, but clubs can ban the racist aspects from their own grounds.

Last edited:
Makes sense but nothing is going to change sadly.
Not until it affects the Prem's money
I dunno - something like that that puts a spotlight on the hypocrisy, whilst taking the knee and saying "rugby against racism" could swing public opinion very quickly.

It won't force change, but if one club bans those things; others could well follow suit; which would bring media attention...

Basically, the other clubs can control their own controllables.

Hope they're successful in their campaign

Someone just re-posted this in the Sale Sharks Supporters Club group on facebook and there's some gammons on there calling everyone snowflakes, predictably

But the other clubs won't care.
Really this twitter post isn't going to get traction.
As Oly points out a good chunk of rugby supporters don't care and the pressure from outside is more towards other races.

Really this twitter post isn't going to get traction.
Only way it will is if they get some players on board/to raise it with the club

Like they mentioned in the tweet: clubs are taking the knee, running inclusivity outreach programs, emotive interviews with players about their experiences etc., if you get someone in a position to ask the shot callers to explain specifically why they think it's OK for it to continue then it's a lot harder to ignore

Some other, related articles, for those actually interested; with the views of a couple of Native Americans who live in Exeter:

⁠https://earlyamericanists.com/2016/08/09/why-the-exeter-chiefs-should-rebrand-themselves/⁠

⁠https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/exeter-chiefs-should-work-real-1139539⁠

Why is Exeter's brand racist? Just is choosing to use a Native American or a Viking or anything for that matter?

To answer the Viking questions whilst there are decendants for the most part it's a completely dead culture.

The use of native marketing by non natives is deemed racist. Sounds like a copyright issue to me. Would they say it's racist if they got money out it? Would they say it's racist if they signed off the approved native artwork?

Or is this the modern liberal society saying someone can't use artwork from a time in history because, well just because they don't like it.

The use of native marketing by non natives is deemed racist. Sounds like a copyright issue to me. Would they say it's racist if they got money out it? Would they say it's racist if they signed off the approved native artwork?

Or is this the modern liberal society saying someone can't use artwork from a time in history because, well just because they don't like it.
Did you actually read anything before writing that utter nonsense?

So do you believe that people won't be offended by things if they get some money? Or that they would actually sell items that are so highly respected in their culture (the headdress)? As I'd be interested to know if you think our servicemen and women would be fine with people buying and wearing copies of earned uniforms and medals that they fought and died for, as long as someone paid them?

But it isn't so it's irrelevant though.
Exeter have been asked to at least reach out they are not.

The fact that it's a big thing in America and their sports teams proves it isn't a "modern liberal society"

Wasps to look into call to ban Exeter fans from wearing Native American headdresses at their ground

Supporters group writes to Premiership club about the 'cultural appropriation' with Wasps promising to review their policies regards issue

Wasps will become the first Premiership club to "look into" a call to ban Exeter fans from wearing novelty Native American headdresses at their ground after a supporters group wrote to them about the "cultural appropriation".

Article Continues...

I have a slightly different but i still think relevant example

Maori culture is often abused, and that includes kiwis getting ****** and trying to do a haka whilst in some pub in london

we had a cool situation during the Super rugby final this year. we had Kazuki Himeno from japan playing for us this season and before the game the Highlanders did their Haka.

Rather than get offended...people loved the fact Himeno joined in as a member of the team, and thats because they got the relevant people in to teach the team how to do it and what it means

Mai FM is a radio station with a Maori focus, music/presenters etc and this was their post after the game (not a sports station, music), keep in mind his english was "passable" according to some of the team, let alone learning about Maori culture too

1629524694026.png

if you're going to do or use something from a culture thats not your own..its not hard to consult with those whos culture it is, and if you do the right things you'll often be celebrated for it like Himeno was

Tapu = sacred
manu = pride/power/presence

Latest posts