• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Offensive Team Names

Well i guess im a dinosaur...as its all absurd.

Where do we go next...

Saracens will have to change their name.
Glasgow Warriors?
Maybe the WWF will complain about the cultural appropriation of Shark, Tiger, Falcon, Bear etc.

Cornish Pirates...well they have no link to Pirates.
We better check the history of Quins name.
Can we stop using the same **** talking points every two pages this has been covered ad nauseum in this thread....

Because its ambiguous about what Chief its representing...so just delete it it.

What about the highlanders logo....a Scotsman? lets remove that eh?
Seriously read the ******* thread your making the same frankly idiotic points others have. Hey you might learn something!

Sure Jan GIF

How the **** is it ambiguous?…the logo is a Maori chief…and the chiefs have gone to great lengths to engage with and represent the Maori of their region respectfully…as well as having countless players of Maori decent

But I agree…read the whole thread and come up with something original

I'll also add, the highlanders are based in Dunedin, the Gaelic named for Edinburgh…it was founded by Scottish settlers like my family (grandma was a Murray), there is a statue of Robbie burns in the middle of town… the highlanders "brand" does represent a % of the population, no appropriation there

I'll also add, the highlanders are based in Dunedin, the Gaelic named for Edinburgh…it was founded by Scottish settlers like my family (grandma was a Murray), there is a statue of Robbie burns in the middle of town… the highlanders "brand" does represent a % of the population, no appropriation there
Even if there was, are any of Scots Clans complaining about it?

"Please know the NCAI is committed to working with the Exeter Rugby Club to aid in its mascot branding transition, including offering a tribal leader to share with your leadership, club members, and/or the Exeter community our perspective on this important issue."

Honestly great offer for Exeter
Gives them good PR and also potentially gives them a foothold in America

I thought it was a very reasonable letter TBH.

I made a similar argument to some people who were upset about the crusaders logo/name issue

we have two groups that are offended/upset

The first believes that native american culture has been appropriated/trivialised/monetised, the most recent insult in a long list of insults (and worse) over a couple of hundred years

The second group is gumpy their favouritist sports team might have to change their their logo.....

but yeah...its the first group who are the snowflakes

I'm far from woke and this sort of stuff tends to do my head in to be honest, however why a club from Devon decided to use Native American imagery does baffle me.

I'm not a fan of names like Bears, Tigers and Falcons either to be honest, I think it's rather tacky. I much prefer just plain old Gloucester Rugby and Bath Rugby, but maybe that's just because I'm a bore.

I'm far from woke and this sort of stuff tends to do my head in to be honest, however why a club from Devon decided to use Native American imagery does baffle me.

I'm not a fan of names like Bears, Tigers and Falcons either to be honest, I think it's rather tacky. I much prefer just plain old Gloucester Rugby and Bath Rugby, but maybe that's just because I'm a bore.
Agree with this......

As for Wasps. Now is that standing for what I think it stands for? Or, did someone just get stung - a lot?

From what I recall, Tigers, Saints, Wasps and Harlequins names go way back to the 19th century, in the very early years of the clubs, and have non-commercial origins. Those ones seem fine to me.

IIRC Tigers had links with the local regiment who were nicknamed the "tigers".
Saints were set up by a priest, and named after his church.
Harlequins and Wasps were set up when another club split into association football and 2 rugby football clubs. Was it Hampstead? The rugby members agreed to meet at a pub and thrash out the details but wanted to keep the initials, flicked through a dictionary under "H" and thought "Harlequins" sounded fun. Other rugby members went to the wrong pub, and got drunk instead of trying to find the right one, and ultimately set up Wasps - I've no idea why.

All the others, like Chiefs, Shoguns, Bears, Bees etc were all marketing gimmicks to appeal to new young fans who might support a team because its name rather than its play or location (I gather this is an actual thing over the pond - and I guess people often pick horses that way for the Grand National etc). It's always been tacky and cheesey.

I thought they picked wasps as it was seen as a very 'trendy' animal back when they were formed? No other reason.

Latest posts