• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

O'Gara passes the buck

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Aug 18 2009, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Aug 18 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 19 2009, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Firstly I'm in the 'what a retarded thing to do' camp. Why in god's name would you wtick up a garryowen when you know the team that's catching it has 2 amazing distance dropgoalers on the team. Bad enough a plan oin it's own it's coming from a player who can't tackle and is too much of a pussy to ever jump for a high ball.[/b]
So he should have gone for touch? Taken a tackle to set up a ruck?
[/b][/quote]

Give that man a coconut.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, big ole Coconut. Anything but kick the ball to a Steyn would have been a better idea.

I'm pretty sure Rob Kearney was standing to the left of him. How about he gives the ball to him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 19 2009, 05:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Aug 18 2009, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Aug 18 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 19 2009, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Firstly I'm in the 'what a retarded thing to do' camp. Why in god's name would you wtick up a garryowen when you know the team that's catching it has 2 amazing distance dropgoalers on the team. Bad enough a plan oin it's own it's coming from a player who can't tackle and is too much of a pussy to ever jump for a high ball.[/b]
So he should have gone for touch? Taken a tackle to set up a ruck?
[/b][/quote]

Give that man a coconut.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, big ole Coconut. Anything but kick the ball to a Steyn would have been a better idea.

I'm pretty sure Rob Kearney was standing to the left of him. How about he gives the ball to him.
[/b][/quote]
Anything but? Kick to touch - series over. Kick long - series over. Pass to ... who? Kearney wouldn't put in a better kick, but he would run it much better.

That's the point - ROG was the only man on the team who wanted to keep the game going. I think it was Bowe behind him, and ROG showed him the ball but he didn't want to take it on. Without a runner willing to run, in ROG's mind the only option was to kick high to the middle and see what happened. Hail Mary pass. The fact he screwed up the "see" part is bitter, but there was no other way for him to get his team to win.

Winning is all that matters. If you accept that view, ROG makes a lot of sense. That's how the SH approaches it in general and that's why they win. Plus ROG plays the game as it is - he takes his knocks, and no fake blood, no fake humility.

Winning is indeed all that matters.

Had SA not scored twice, both time being a net result of O'Choke f***-ups, in the last 10 minutes then the Lions would have.

Make of that what you will.

The Lions had only just salvaged the draw with a Jones penalty and everyone was happy that despite nearly throwing a huge lead away, the series was still alive.

Anyone who's ever watched a game knows you don't give the ball away in the last couple of minutes.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UCo5n1QmaoM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UCo5n1QmaoM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Naas Botha knows the score;
- First he ignored the decent clearing lineout option.
- Then he didn't even offer the pass to Bowe
- Then he ignored playing a ruch near his team-mated
- Then he bombed it into the biggest group of players
- Then he didn't even bother to TRY and jump and contest the ball.

Ronan O'Gara, the out of form stand-off who only has as high a number of international caps because of a lack of competition in Ireland and what Munster wants is what Munster gets, cost the Lions any chance of levelling the series when we dared to believe we rescued it. Despite the disaster of the 1st test.

His fault.

So you reckon he should have kicked to touch? How does that keep the series alive? The Saffers would have been happy. :huh:

Styen does have a big boot, but he can't score a DG from 70m. Last time I checked, a lineout is also a lot more contestable then a penalty.

Face it, O'Gara is an idiot buggered the test. Certain people are only defending him because his name is Ronan O'Gara, Hero of Ireland.

Yup, agree with Mite. Why would it have been so bad to have drawn that test? This is proffessional sport, at that stage in the game, when Stephen Jones had just landed a tough kick to salvage a draw, his first priority should have been to protect that result. If something was really on fine, but up n' unders very rarely lead to scores anyway, they usually just hand the ball to the opposition (unless you're Kearney or Burne). Bowe was obviously happpy to settle for the draw, as were many others I suspect, even the captain O'Connell must have been happy since he went for the kick instead of touch moments earlier!

I'd like to know how many Lions players on that field would have preferred to settle for the draw and attempt to tie the series the following week (no mean feat!), because the two I mentioned above obviously were, and as a supporter I also did. Considering the form SA are now showing, a drawn series would have meant allot to many players and would have been a fantastic result. Maybe it wouldn't have happened anyway, maybe SA would have turned up stronger in the final game? But I'd like to think that the Lions showed enough in that final game that they would have won whatever SA did.

Edit: looking at that vid again, and the lack of urgency in the rest of the team (did you see the forwards running back to support O'Gara?) shows to me that not many would have chose to attempt to counter attack if they were in the same situation!

:lol: Lol loving you dudes still feeling the pain. Teh you forget one thing rugby is a "team" sport you win together you lose together and all people make mistakes.

It was not only O'Gara who lost the series that is rubbish I think the Lions got a bit ahead of themselves marching through the weakened Provincial sides and then came up against a different level of intensity from the Boks and struggled.

Yeah, that's right.

That's why the Lions scored more points, more tries, had a better difference and had better overall possession & territory then the Boks for the whole series. I like your thinking.

Also, I'm pretty sure the other 14 didn't pussy out of a tackle or stupidly take Du Preez out in the air.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Aug 19 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, that's right.

That's why the Lions scored more points, more tries, had a better difference and had better overall possession & territory then the Boks for the whole series. I like your thinking.[/b]

One question who won the series?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Aug 19 2009, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Boks did.

Where was this "different level of intensity" which you refer to?[/b]

Check out Brussow try and Smit try and then you will understand what I mean by a different level of intensity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju5czF8h4RU...re=channel_page

On that point you will also see berating O'Gara as the only man to have lost the series is a little far of the mark, you might want to ask Monye to step up and take a bow.

Sorry forgot to add disclaimer for link above </span>Disclaimer for this You Tube link: Caution this video could cause projectile vomiting, crying, poor losers, blatant cheat allegations, sour grapes, Ref lynching, lack of preparation time for Lions, 4 Nations coming together is just not fair, excuses galore, what if scenarios, Ronan O'Gara hate mail, Beast violating Vickery and a hate for the Springboks, due to the Lions losing the series for all the reasons above.</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Aug 19 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Aug 19 2009, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Boks did.

Check out Brussow try and Smit try and then you will understand what I mean by a different level of intensity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju5czF8h4RU...re=channel_page[/b][/quote]

Right... Pull another one. By 35 minutes the Lions were all over the Boks line and stayed like that for the whole game. I then don't recall the Boks ever dominating for any part of the series thereafter. "Another level" isn't when a team goers hell for leather in the opening 20 minutes or so only to knacker themselves out. And another level isn't scraping home a win by a couple of points against a supposedly "**** team from the NH".

As for Monye, I don't recall him pussying out on any tackles or giving stupid penalties away in the 79 minute.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Aug 19 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, that's right.

That's why the Lions scored more points, more tries, had a better difference and had better overall possession & territory then the Boks for the whole series. I like your thinking.

Also, I'm pretty sure the other 14 didn't pussy out of a tackle or stupidly take Du Preez out in the air.[/b]

In the two games that SA took seriously, they did everything they needed to win. Maybe you should look at the stats from most Springbok tests, their gameplan is to have better field position, where posession on attack is a bonus, not a premium. They play to their strengths and currently its working rather well. I think O'Gara is an overrated git and he did screw up, but you can't blame a chance at the series for the Lions solely on him!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Aug 20 2009, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Aug 19 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Aug 19 2009, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Boks did.

Check out Brussow try and Smit try and then you will understand what I mean by a different level of intensity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju5czF8h4RU...re=channel_page[/b][/quote]

Right... Pull another one. By 35 minutes the Lions were all over the Boks line and stayed like that for the whole game. I then don't recall the Boks ever dominating for any part of the series thereafter. "Another level" isn't when a team goers hell for leather in the opening 20 minutes or so only to knacker themselves out. And another level isn't scraping home a win by a couple of points against a supposedly "**** team from the NH".

As for Monye, I don't recall him pussying out on any tackles or giving stupid penalties away in the 79 minute.
[/b][/quote]

Who called the Lions ****? Calm down Teh I never said another level I said a different level of intensity. I have also never claimed that the Boks were far better than the lions but good enough to win which is the point at the end of the day right?

I seem to recall the Lions narrow wins in the warm up games described as "lucky" rather then "doing enough to win". Funny what a difference in perspective can make about opinions.

Which brings me straight back to some people defending O'Gara just because of his name and who he normally plays for.

Look Mite, O' gara is an overrated piece of **** with a big f***ing mouth. a) he was on the pitch due to injury, B) May or may not have been concussed c) made a massive error in judgement.

The way i look at it, the Lions lost becuase of the physical toll of competeing with SA with such intensity for 70+ minutes. But sher look i'm neither a fan of him or have a pathological hatred of him so i couldn't give a **** either way.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Aug 20 2009, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I seem to recall the Lions narrow wins in the warm up games described as "lucky" rather then "doing enough to win". Funny what a difference in perspective can make about opinions.

Which brings me straight back to some people defending O'Gara just because of his name and who he normally plays for.[/b]

Not many have defended him as there is not much to defend he made a mistake that had a pretty large bearing on the game, but was definatley not the only reason the Lions lost. They lost over the course of 2 games and the management should also shoulder some of the blame for that.

Speaking of management check out our planks in the first test we were completely on top in the first 50 mins and P Divvie decides to make 7 subs in a space of 8-10 mins :wacko: resulting in the wheels falling off.

Are we still going on about this? Can we all just be friends now?

(Admittedley I havn't actually read all of the posts since we "dropped" this matter)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Aug 19 2009, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Edit: looking at that vid again, and the lack of urgency in the rest of the team (did you see the forwards running back to support O'Gara?) shows to me that not many would have chose to attempt to counter attack if they were in the same situation![/b]
Losers. All of them. ROG was the only Lion on the pitch.

BTW - I can't hear you because I'm not listening anymore!

Latest posts