• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Olympic Games Update

Good to see Squash finally making it to the Olympics but sadly not until 2028 in LA.
Pleased to see squash finally get the nod, it's been a well-known weird outlier for as long as I can remember. I see that T20, Flag football, lacrosse and baseball/softball are also being included. The list smacks very much of placing broadcast rights over the IOC's own criteria. That said, there's plenty of long-established sports that don't meet those criteria either.

I wonder where the T20 will be played. Even if there's big enough stadia available, it's not like you can wheel a suitable wicket in like you could a boxing ring or basketball court.

Pleased to see squash finally get the nod, it's been a well-known weird outlier for as long as I can remember. I see that T20, Flag football, lacrosse and baseball/softball are also being included. The list smacks very much of placing broadcast rights over the IOC's own criteria. That said, there's plenty of long-established sports that don't meet those criteria either.

I wonder where the T20 will be played. Even if there's big enough stadia available, it's not like you can wheel a suitable wicket in like you could a boxing ring or basketball court.
Drop in wickets have been a thing since the 70's and World Series Cricket

Ground size could definitely be an issue though. Dodgers stadium is smaller than County Ground Taunton.

T20 Cricket is a good shout though its exciting and can fit is a two week tournament. It also helps with markets the Olympics struggles with (Sub-continent countries). Whilst opening the sport to wider appeal. Its also competitive unlike Baseball/Basketball.

Lacrosse and Flag Football are good as well.

Squash has been insane for years I don't think any sport has worked as hard as they have.

Thanks, I had no idea that drop in pitches were a thing. To be fair, the Lions visiting Australian cricket venues should have been a clue that the technology exists!

A quick Google doesn't seem to offer up any suitable stadia in LA, further Googling suggests that this project might have recently got a serious shot in the arm:

https://www.sportstravelmagazine.co...ered,increased for major international events.

Thanks, I had no idea that drop in pitches were a thing. To be fair, the Lions visiting Australian cricket venues should have been a clue that the technology exists!

A quick Google doesn't seem to offer up any suitable stadia in LA, further Googling suggests that this project might have recently got a serious shot in the arm:

https://www.sportstravelmagazine.com/cricket-stadium-development-takes-step-forward-in-orange-county/#:~:text=Major League Cricket has entered,increased for major international events.
Me boring Cricket person there are excellent documentaries on World Series Cricket and how it quite literally changed the game.

Latest posts