• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Olympic Games Update

De Grasse
Not sure the super spikes have so much of an effect for the sprinters, but all of the above plus extremely high calibre opposition pushing him on.

Warholm may struggle to top that. But whatever WR mark this generation leaves behind may well last for decades.
It was interesting to see what Micheal Johnson was saying on the effect the super spikes have for sprinters. Basically he said that they reduce the friction between the track and the sprinter's shoes And makes them closer to being the best they can be. It doesn't improve the ability of the sprinter though which is the important thing.

But Denise Lewis was saying it had a different effect for field athletes who have to make more adjustments by wearing them.

Athletics fans have known for a little while, but Keely Hodgkinson is the next British track and field superstar and God knows we need some.

A massive misfortune to be the same age as the American Athing Mu, but she is absolutely of the right stuff.

Olympic silver, taking down Kelly Holmes national record and entering the world's all time top ten. Not a bad day's work….for a teenager.

Born in 2002 for crying out loud. What were you doing at 19…..?

Who was the British lady who got run down to lose out on Bronze? Desperately unlucky as she tied up. I think 6 of the field got PBs in that race.

200 women's final was good - second fastest ever time for Thompson-Herah again. Really does bring up again why Flo Jo's records are still recognised. In fact any pre 1988 track world record IMO.

Looking forward to the 200 men's tomorrow.

Probably our last chance to add to our medal tally today (have 4, waiting on the colour of one with Kellie Harrington in boxing) in the showjumping. Have riders out 6th and 2nd last after good runs in the semi and a third rider out early.

Feel like we've underperformed a bit and should have really beaten our London total but still there second best games of my lifetime. (Excl. Cheat Michelle Smith obvs)

Also looking forward to the 200m later.

Interesting vid on 400 hurdles. Always knew it was a hard, technical race. But puts it into perspective with Warholm's and McLaughlin's WRs.

Interesting vid on 400 hurdles. Always knew it was a hard, technical race. But puts it into perspective with Warholm's and McLaughlin's WRs.

It's a great event - there's a reason why they call it the man killer.

The women's race always promised to be every bit as good as the men's and it definitely delivered.

This climbing is absolutely insane - hadn't realised it was a 3-event event.

What do we think about these ridiculously young competitors - average age of all 6 women's skateboarding medalists is 14, with the Japanese silver medalist aged 12.
There won't be any hard and fast answer, but I really question whether they're psychologically mature enough to cope with the pressure - not so much now, but creating problems for 10-20 years time. I'm sure this has come up with other sports before (tennis, gymnastics and the combat sports spring to mind) with a lower age limit required.

What do we think about these ridiculously young competitors - average age of all 6 women's skateboarding medalists is 14, with the Japanese silver medalist aged 12.
There won't be any hard and fast answer, but I really question whether they're psychologically mature enough to cope with the pressure - not so much now, but creating problems for 10-20 years time. I'm sure this has come up with other sports before (tennis, gymnastics and the combat sports spring to mind) with a lower age limit required.
Was thinking the same thing, it also worries me from an exploitation point of view as well. Honestly still think gymnasts are too young. I'd put a lower age limit on all 'professional' sports that was universal.

Haven't seen the climbing yet but I think it's a great addition.

Ref the kids - makes me very uneasy for the reasons you say. Plus what sort of credibility can an event have if you can be one of the best in the world after so comparatively little practice and being well short of physical maturity? The 10,000 hour rule has been debunked but even so it generally takes years and years of hard work to reach the top in anything.

I think for the more modern sports (i.e. BMX, Skateboarding) I don't see anything wrong with it - these kids are doing the sports because they love them and would be competing (and have been competing) in local comps anyway

They don't have the same culture behind them that other very age-focused sports have (like Gymnastics) where toddlers are forced into training camps

I think for the more modern sports (i.e. BMX, Skateboarding) I don't see anything wrong with it - these kids are doing the sports because they love them and would be competing (and have been competing) in local comps anyway

They don't have the same culture behind them that other very age-focused sports have (like Gymnastics) where toddlers are forced into training camps
On the abuse / exploitation angle, then I agree - for now (though your last 7 words are way OTT).
On the "mentally mature enough to handle the pressure" angle - I'm running on instinct, and instinctively feel that under 15/16 is just too young.
Give it a couple of cycles though, and the exploitation will kick in

Last edited:
That's just plain wrong / abusive. @ncurd summed it up perfectly. A minimum age makes perfect sense.

Is there an age limit on Olympic sports? There is no universal minimum age for Olympians but some sports have age limits. Gymnasts must turn 16 during the year of the Games, while boxers must have turned 18. Olympic skateboarding has no minimum age requirement.

Surprised that Gymnastics is that high tbh - they should just implement that tournament wide and then have some others with higher (like boxing)

they're psychologically mature enough to cope with the pressure
That one is the most important. Psychologically immature. Plus, a 12yo kid winning an adult competition.. it devalues a bit standards of this competition,I think. Should be a bit separated for kids(Olympics for kids for ex.) and then, when they achieve the age limit,they can participate in "adult" Olympics

Well that's gutting for KJT, insult to injury - literally

Latest posts