• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ospreys Vs Ulster

D

DuncTheDoodle

<div align='center'>
ospreysmf2.png
Ulster.png
</div>

The Ospreys made a decent start last week with a 19-12 win over Connacht, and will be looking to improve on this with their first competitive game of the new season, while Ulster are hoping to hit back after a hard-hitting 23-6 loss to the Dragons. They shall also be looknig to end a 15-game mauling that has seen them fail to win one game in Wales for almost two seasons.

The Neath-Swansea side have re-introduced Lions Mike Phillips and James Hook already, both of which are set to start, and have winger Tommy Bowe set for a return today against his old club. Jonathon Thomas is also due for his comeback after a 7-month injury break. Ulster on the other hand have Australian signing Tamaiti Horua on the bench, and Ed O'Donoghue replaces Ryan Caldwell while and Darren Cave and Ian Whitten are at centre.

The Ospreys won last year's fixture 43-0 when they where at home, with Tommy Bowe also scoring his first Ospreys try on the day. Could we be in for the same again this year?

Ospreys Team: Barry Davies; Jonny Vaughton, Sonny Parker, Andrew Bishop, Nikki Walker; James Hook, Mike Phillips; Paul James, Richard Hibbard, Cai Griffiths, Ian Gough, Andy Lloyd, Jerry Collins, Marty Holah, Ryan Jones (capt).
Replacements: Huw Bennett, Duncan Jones, Jonathan Thomas, Tom Smith, Jamie Nutbrown, Dan Biggar, Tommy Bowe.

Ulster Team: C Schifcofske; T Nagusa, D Cave, I Whitten, S Danielli; Ian Humphreys, I Boss; B Young, A Kyriacou, BJ Botha, D Tuohy, E O'Donoghue, C Henry, capt, W Faloon, R Diack.
Replacements: N Brady, D Fitzpatrick, T Horua, T Anderson, C Willis, N O'Connor, J Shiels.

Not entirely happy with the Ospreys team here. Why do they persist on playing Cai 'I can't scrummage for sh*t' Griffiths. He's not even close to being regional quality, never was, never will. Can't they just hand the shirt over to Craig Mitchell already? I'm also disappointed they're still not starting Gareth Owen at centre, he's the future, not Parker! And in the backrow, wouldn't this be the perfect game to give another run-out to Ben Lewis? Also, drop Vaughton for good, if he never plays another game for the Ospreys, it would be too soon. Another sub-par player that the management seem to be fond of, why? While I'm at it, Andy Lloyd is another journeyman in this Ospreys squad, surely there's a better alternative, even with Ian Evans and Alun Wyn not available?

Still expecting a convincing win tomorrow though.

Agree with everything you say there Dull. I think Tom Smith is a waste of space, and yet he gets a bench spot over Lewis, who could be pushing for the Wales 7 shirt for the Autumn if he was given the chance!! I find it especially weird seeing as JT is there as cover as well!
I think I am Vaughton's biggest critic, I despise everything about him.
And yeah, Lloyd is an average and injury-prone squad player at best. Though I wouldn't call him a journeyman, I can't fault his loyalty or commitment, especially after SOOOOO many injuries. (Take note, Gav).
I'd give Richard Kelly a go in the squad. There's an article on him on our website, detailing how he was looking so good, but had 2 years of his career spent injured. But he looks like he could be a decent prospect.
OH WELL!!

Fair enough on the Andy Lloyd point, wrong choice of words. Hadn't really realised that he'd had quite that many injuries, he's a half decent squad player I suppose. Haven't heard much about Richard Kelly, although I have heard the name a few times.

Yup, I also hate Vaughton. He just seems to live off the fact that he's the 'quickest player in the Ospreys squad'. Doesn't help when every other part of your game is terrible, he doesn't even score many tries, even with all that pace! The quicker Kristian Phillips returns the better, hopefully we won't have to see much of Vaughton then.

The annoying thing about both Ben Lewis and Warberton at the Blues is that neither are getting enough game time. From what I've seen, both are better than any other 7 in Wales (behind Martyn Williams), but unless they get some game time before the Autumn, were gonna be stuck with Sowden-Taylor again, or moving JT or Dafydd Jones across which never works. These two players will be making up two thirds of Wales' backrow for the 2011 world cup, the sooner their allowed to show that, the better.

I don't mind Vaughton, but that's largely because I never really tend to notice him. Same with this Tom Smith chap. Who is he, anyway? Only reason I know his name is because I remember the mix-up I had looknig at the EDF Semis programme this year when I saw there was three seperate players called Tom Smith in the squad lists.

Ospreys could put up a cricket score. Ulster sorely lack leadership and their pack minus Ferris, Best and Caldwell looks lightweight.

Christ, it could be Ulster picking up the cricket score here...
3 - 12 to them in 10 minutes...

8 - 12. Some good passes there to set Walker up.

Hook having a mare with the boot. 1 from 4...

Phillips is still a twat.

Very good player, but a horrible twat.

13 - 15 at half time. Duncan Jones scores seconds before 40 minutes. Ulster a man down. Hook can't kick anything...

Give the kicking duties over to Barry Davis, I say.

We all love Duncan. Only thing that could possibly make this any better is if he can get a hattrick in the rest of the game. Oh yes, and for the Ospreys to contuine defending. And win.

Ospreys go to pieces the moment my brother stops watching. He's a curse.

20-16 final score, Ulster win. Bah.

The try that was in the end the winning score was set up through two forward passes...

Ospreys are f**king useless. Is there anyone with any leadership qualities on that pitch, Ryan Jones is going backwards and Gatland should have seen this today and give the Wales captaincy to someone with some authority.

As I thought, Cai Griffiths, Paul James, Vaughton and Andy Lloyd were all rubbish. The 'dream' backrow was inconsistent and generally rubbish at clearing out the rucks. Was hard to judge Phillips, as the quality of ball he was dealing with was some of the worst I've ever seen. Hook is again lacking in game control and outside him the backline looked pedestrian and generally poor. Barry Davies and Andrew Bishop put in alright performances.

When will the Ospreys learn, it's getting very frustrating seeing the same poor performances over and over. God I'm f***ing annoyed!

Can't blame you when you've had to suffer this lacklustre bullshit for so long.

Looking forward to seeing the Scarlets play tomorrow now. Well, as long as they tell Martin Roberts to pass the ball, instead of kicking it.

Very good Ulster performance. Huge commitment, great to see. Some lovely play too, including the first try.

Ian Humphreys was superb, if he works on tackling and goalkicking he could take ulster a long way.

Has putting on a scrumcap made Boss stop taking a gazillion steps before passing the ball?

Darren Cave looked pretty good too.

Latest posts