• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Pacific Nations Cup] Canada vs. Japan. 07/06/14

Last edited:
I wonder what's happening at 2pmEST that TSN can't show Canada vs Scotland live. I mean I guess it's good that TSN will be showing it at all but still live is always better. Hopefully we start seeing commercials come out hyping these games and people tune in and show TSN there's a demand for rugby on TV here. I can't wait for next month and to hopefully get revenge against the Japanese and continue our streak against the Yanks.

And those two squads look pretty even. I prefer BC's pack but think Canada has the edge on Backs even with Hassler repping BC. I'm really intrigued and wish I could watch it but I'll be out supporting my brother and club play an Alberta Cup game while it's being streamed. Hopefully there's a way to watch it online later. I'm also real happy to see Hearn not being injured like I read about last month. He's not as talented as DTH, Hassler or Paris but he's a good tough player who represents Canada well. I say Pritchard wins it for Canada with a dominating display of kicking.

Yeah I'm surprised both TSN channels are occupied on June 14th at 2 p.m. I don't think they have World Cup rights, CFL preseason?(that might not go ahead as scheduled with a possible strike).

The lineups I agree Beerfalo not a ton in it in terms of paper strength, and there is some further confirmation that the coaching team want to move Carpenter to Hooker if it's at all possible. I think the selects will take it the squad is a little stronger in experience, Pritchards kicking as you pointed out will be a huge factor(Braid is probably our 2nd best kicker but there is a big gap there). BC might have a slightly better bench if it's close going into the final twenty, and I expect a lot of the bench guys will be used fairly early to give some of the older horses a bit of a rest.

Pretty amazing to see how much Canadian depth has increased in the past 5-6 years, we would have never been able to field two sides remotely near this quality against one another, especially considering DTH, Evans and J. Mackenzie are out of the two sides.

Edit: I'll include the lineups directly here to aid further talks on them....

BC Bears Invitational

1.Andrew Tiedemann – (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB
2.Aaron Carpenter – (Cornish Pirates RFC) Brantford, ON
3.Jake Ilnicki – (Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears) Williams Lake, BC
4.Jamie Cudmore – (ASM Clermont Auvergne) Squamish, BC
5.Tyler Hotson – (London Scottish RFC) Vancouver, BC
6.Kyle Gilmour – (Saint Albert RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saint Albert, AB
7.John Moonlight – (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues) Pickering, ON
8.Adam Kleeberger – (Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears) White Rock, BC
9.Phil Mack – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
10.Connor Braid – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
11.Jeff Hassler – (Ospreys/Prairie Wolf Pack) Okotoks, AB
12.Nick Blevins – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
13.Conor Trainor – (UBCOB Ravens/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
14.Sean Duke – (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
15.Pat Kay – (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Duncan, BC

16. Anthony Luca – (Burnaby Lake RC/BC Bears) Pitt Meadows, BC
17. Micha Govorchin – (Burnaby Lake RC/BC Bears) North Delta, BC
18. Callum Morrison – (UBCOC Ravens/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
19. Admir Cejvanovic – (Burnaby Lake RC/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
20. Sean White – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
21. Mike Fuailefau – (Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
22. Nathan Hirayama – (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Richmond, BC
23. Justin Douglas – (Abbotsford RFC) Abbotsford, BC

Canada Selects

1. Hubert Buydens – (Manawatu Turbos/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saskatoon, SK
2. Ray Barkwill – (Niagara Wasps RFC/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON
3. Jason Marshall – (Atlantique Stade Rochelais) Vancouver, BC
4. Brett Beukeboom – (Plymouth Albion) Lindsay, ON
5. Jon Phelan – (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC
6. Jebb Sinclair – (London Irish/Atlantic Rock) Fredericton, NB
7. Nanyak Dala – (Castaway Wanderers/Saskatoon Wild Oats) Saskatoon, SK
8. Tyler Ardron – (Ospreys/Ontario Blues) Lakefield, ON
9. Gordon McRorie – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
10. Liam Underwood – (Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON
11. Phil Mackenzie – (Sale Sharks) Oakville, ON
12. Patrick Parfrey – (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. Johns, NL
13. Ciaran Hearn – (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL
14. Taylor Paris – (SU Agen Lot-et-Garonne) Barrie, ON
15. James Pritchard – (Bedford Blues) Parkes, NSW, Australia

16. Garret Garbe – (UBCOC Ravens) Vancouver, BC
17. Beniot Pifferio – (St Anne de Bellevue/Burnaby Lake RFC) Montreal, QC
18. Scott Mackay – (Burnaby Lake RC/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
19. Cam Pierce – (Kelowna Crows RFC) Cold Stream, BC
20. Sawyer Herron – (UVIC Vikes/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON
21. James Pitblado – (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
22. Mike Scholz – (Castaway Wanderers/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON
23. Duncan Maguire – (St. Albert Rugby Club/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB

Last edited:
Canadian depth just keeps getting better and better I think. Rugby Canada and Sport Canada(I think that's who gives out money) have done a real good job. The own the podium thing helps as well with the money they've tossed at the mens and womens programs heading toward rugby 7's at the 2016 Olympics. Hopefully the sport just keeps getting bigger here. I'm liking the blend of youth and experience we have going on. I hope Pritchard can teach some of these young guys how to kick because I don't want to begin to think of life without him. Carpenter at hooker is an interesting but not surprising move. I'm kinda shocked how weak Canada is at hooker and hopefully Carpenter holds down the fort until some kid steps up. Excited to see Cudmore on Canadian soil again, even if I doubt he plays long this weekend. Hearn at centre is a good move I think. He wasn't going to beat Paris or Hassler on the wing but I think he could win the competition at centre. Even with DTH, Evans and J Mac out I have high hopes for the squad Crowley will put together. And looking at the guys on each side, Crowley and crew got a job I'm both envious of and would dread to have.

Also the US Open is on during the weekend of the 14th and doesn't TSN have the rights to the PGA? Also some Belmont horse race thing but I don't know anything about horse racing. I checked the FIFA WC but CBC and Sportsnet get to show those.

The Belmont Stakes are being run all day with TSN picking up NBC's coverage of that. So that is what is the conflict. My suspicion is that the Belmont is a slightly bigger event so it will get the live coverage. I'm just glad that there is going to be TV coverage at all. It is especially good to see them covering all three of the June Internationals. This is the best coverage that I can remember in a long time. I'll be at the Japan game but I'm going to PVR it also so that I can add to the "count" of households who watched TSN for the game :D I'm not sure one more household will really matter but I'm just trying to do my part.

The BC v. Canada game looks like it could be quite entertaining. I'm torn because the finals for the BC High school championships will be going on on Saturday also. My team will not be competing in the final :%#%#: and we should be done much earlier in the day but I have always enjoyed staying in the stadium all day and watching the consolation final and championship final of both the AA and AAA divisions. Hhhhmmm what to do, what to do... BC v. Canada kicks off at 4pm and the AAA final kicks off at 4 as well so big conflict for me.

Interesting that their is no Harry Jones listed for either team. Does anyone know if he is hurt?

The lack of Harry Jones, even as a reserve, confuses me. I thought for sure he'd at least make the bench of BC or Canada. I looked through his twitter but didn't find anything injury related. Maybe he didn't impress at camp compared to some of the other Backs or picked up an injury that hasn't been made public?

Looks like sales have picked up for the Japan game, 1,000 tickets left with a week to go, a sellout or very close to it quite possible.

Looks like sales have picked up for the Japan game, 1,000 tickets left with a week to go, a sellout or very close to it quite possible.

That's great to hear, LittleGuy.

Do you have any idea what capacity is with the temporary stands? Heard anything about the sales for the Scotland game?

That's great to hear, LittleGuy.

Do you have any idea what capacity is with the temporary stands? Heard anything about the sales for the Scotland game?

If I recall correctly the expanded capacity put it up to 8,000 I think....this was a while ago don't take that as gospel.

Scotland cracked 50% a week ago and is still going steady but I don't think a sellout is imminent, perhaps the fact the game is tape delayed on TV might get a few more out that might have watched at home. I would guess they;ve gotten to the 60-65% mark at least by now, my guess is a crowd close to the Ireland size last year maybe a tiny bit under, it depends on whether their will be a last minute ad blitz, a gorgeous day could bring out some walkups as well.

If I recall correctly the expanded capacity put it up to 8,000 I think....this was a while ago don't take that as gospel.

Scotland cracked 50% a week ago and is still going steady but I don't think a sellout is imminent, perhaps the fact the game is tape delayed on TV might get a few more out that might have watched at home. I would guess they;ve gotten to the 60-65% mark at least by now, my guess is a crowd close to the Ireland size last year maybe a tiny bit under, it depends on whether their will be a last minute ad blitz, a gorgeous day could bring out some walkups as well.

Thanks for the update.

Anyone watchign Selects vs. Bears? I missed the first twenty minutes or so but the Selects really taking it to the Bears physically jst before halftime 19-7, Hearn already with two tries. What a player he's ended up being from an unspectacular wing that seemed to not add much to a legitmate threat.

Edit: The commentary on the stream is atrocious they keep talking over one another the colour guy has to STFU while the play is active, add his thoughts when the ball slows down or there is a break in play.

Edit Edit: Cheeky McRorie try for the selects. 26-7 now, Pritchard having a great game, Ardron has a superb run earlier. Hearn also playing well. Some of the subs coming in now.

Edit Edit Edit: Bears showing some life Cejvanovic try, 26-14. Now a Braid penalty and a ruther try have gotten it to 26-22 for the Selects, the Bears bench impressing. Hassler phenomenal today.

Last edited:
Anyone watchign Selects vs. Bears? I missed the first twenty minutes or so but the Selects really taking it to the Bears physically jst before halftime 19-7, Hearn already with two tries. What a player he's ended up being from an unspectacular wing that seemed to not add much to a legitmate threat.

Edit: The commentary on the stream is atrocious they keep talking over one another the colour guy has to STFU while the play is active, add his thoughts when the ball slows down or there is a break in play.

Edit Edit: Cheeky McRorie try for the selects. 26-7 now, Pritchard having a great game, Ardron has a superb run earlier. Hearn also playing well. Some of the subs coming in now.

Edit Edit Edit: Bears showing some life Cejvanovic try, 26-14. Now a Braid penalty and a ruther try have gotten it to 26-22 for the Selects, the Bears bench impressing. Hassler phenomenal today.

The colour guy you want to STFU? None other than Mike James. I guess being a good rugby player doesn't translate to doing a good job as a colour man. Patrick Johnston, however, is probably the best PBP guy for rugby in the country; I was really impressed by him.

That said, I'm not too sure what to make of this game as it was quite sloppy given the lack of time to prepare. McRorie and Hearn were standouts (as was Hassler, but nothing new there). Carpenter was good at hooker too and seemed to be every bit as equal if not better than Barkwill.

We just need to hope that there weren't any major injuries. If everyone made it through unscathed we could be going into the summer tests with our best possible forward pack. When was the last time we could say that?

HAHAHA funny enough about Mike James I didn't know who it was since I missed the first fifteen LOL. Johnston did fine in play by play, James just kept interrupting him and almost seemingly wanted to do play by play himself. It's too bad that Johnston won't geta look from the networks, who seem to think we need an English commentator every time a rugby game is played!! Johnston is also probably the best rugby writer in Canada as well.

Agreed on the game, I was impressed by work rate and physicality but there was a distinct lack of crispness, and final passes were atrocious. I don't think anyone went off hurt and when players like Pritchard and Hassler got into rucks every time I was holding my breath. This should be the healthiest squad we've fielded in ages(the 1st RWCQ last August was close), with really only DTH and Evans missing from what would be Canada's best 23.

Last edited:
HAHAHA funny enough about Mike James I didn't know who it was since I missed the first fifteen LOL. Johnston did fine in play by play, James just kept interrupting him and almost seemingly wanted to do play by play himself. It's too bad that Johnston won't geta look from the networks, who seem to think we need an English commentator every time a rugby game is played!! Johnston is also probably the best rugby writer in Canada as well.

Agreed on the game, I was impressed by work rate and physicality but there was a distinct lack of crispness, and final passes were atrocious. I don't think anyone went off hurt and when players like Pritchard and Hassler got into rucks every time I was holding my breath. This should be the healthiest squad we've fielded in ages(the 1st RWCQ last August was close), with really only DTH and Evans missing from what would be Canada's best 23.

Yeah, if we're using today's game it's fair to say Mike James is Canadian rugby's equivalent of Glen Healy or Pierre Maguire. Love Johnston's writing too.

And I think Johnston said Duke went off hurt in the first 15 minutes so there was at least one injury. Aside from Duke I don't recall anyone else going off. And now that you mention DTH, I am curious how his shoulder is doing. This article, from early February, says he would be out for "up to six months": http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26130589

It's been four months since then and he's attending camp. Maybe his recovery is ahead of schedule? I don't know, but it would be pretty damn cool if he was in the lineup for the Scotland or USA game.

Yeah DTH is on his way to Canada tommorow morning, he was attending the Rabo final today even if he can't play this June I think his presence at camp is a good idea, he should be able to share a wealth of experience with the younger boys and perhaps get in some non contact reps with them as well.

Duke seems to have awful luck, his injuries seemingly happen at the worst possible time, it's unlikely he would have featured against the Scots but the U.S.A. and Japan games were possibilities, he's been a good player that's fallen behind in the numbers game at the wing.

Game looked sloppy and there was a little lack of intensity which might be expected when you have teammates playing each other. McRorie was the biggest surprise for me. Hassler was good but had trouble under the high ball in the first half but everybody did when they were facing west. Underwood must have played himself out of the team today I thought. Hearn was really quite good. Not sure you can take anything from the game but it was entertaining and not to many sober folks in the stands. I thought this referee allowed to much at the break down and was really out of his element but then I'm pretty biased against him as he called a rubbish game against the school I coach at earlier this week.

Game looked sloppy and there was a little lack of intensity which might be expected when you have teammates playing each other. McRorie was the biggest surprise for me. Hassler was good but had trouble under the high ball in the first half but everybody did when they were facing west. Underwood must have played himself out of the team today I thought. Hearn was really quite good. Not sure you can take anything from the game but it was entertaining and not to many sober folks in the stands. I thought this referee allowed to much at the break down and was really out of his element but then I'm pretty biased against him as he called a rubbish game against the school I coach at earlier this week.

Yeah he really didn't impress, and with Jones not in either side I'm not sure who lines up at FH next week, Hirayama? The FH situation is becomign a bit of a disaster. Even at Hooker and Lock which were previously problem positions some options are presenting themselves. I think Carpenter backed by Barkwill is the way to go for Hooker right now, with Piffero possibly coming in for a game as well.

Edit: On the sobriety of the crowd, someone spilled a beer on the commentary team after half time LOL, I got a good chuckle out of that.

Last edited:
Rugby Canada just released the squad for the summer tests... and apparently DTH is included!

CANADA'S ROSTER FOR JUNE INTERNATIONAL SERIES:

Tyler Ardron – (Ospreys/Ontario Blues) Lakefield, ON
Ray Barkwill – (Niagara Wasps RFC/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON
Nick Blevins – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
Connor Braid – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
Hubert Buydens – (Manawatu Turbos/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saskatoon, SK
Aaron Carpenter – (Cornish Pirates RFC) Brantford, ON
Jamie Cudmore – (ASM Clermont Auvergne) Squamish, BC
Nanyak Dala – (Castaway Wanderers/Saskatoon Wild Oats) Saskatoon, SK
DTH Van der Merwe – (Glasgow Warriors) Regina, SK
Jeff Hassler – (Ospreys/Prairie Wolf Pack) Okotoks, AB
Ciaran Hearn – (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL
Tyler Hotson – (London Scottish RFC) Vancouver, BC
Jake Ilnicki – (Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears) Williams Lake, BC
Harry Jones – (UBCOB Ravens/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
Adam Kleeberger – (Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears) White Rock, BC
Phil Mack – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
Jason Marshall – (Atlantique Stade Rochelais) Vancouver, BC
Gordon McRorie – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
John Moonlight – (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues) Pickering, ON
Patrick Parfrey – (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. Johns, NL
Taylor Paris – (SU Agen Lot-et-Garonne) Barrie, ON
Jon Phelan – (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC
James Pritchard – (Bedford Blues) Parkes, NSW, Australia
Jebb Sinclair – (London Irish/Atlantic Rock) Fredericton, NB
Andrew Tiedemann – (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB
Liam Underwood – (Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON

Yup, I absolutely noticed this as well. Any time there was a big line break or intercept, the feed devolved into unintelligible shouting thanks to a combination of poor quality audio, and James yelling over Johnson. Still, I can't complain about the overall quality of the presentation, nor the fact that it was even streamed at all. Also agreed on Johnson, that guy's writing is an absolute oasis in the desert of insightful rugby coverage in Canada.

As to the game it was definitely enjoyable as a fan, but yeah there was a level of (understandable) inaccuracy. Securing the breakdown seemed a big problem for both sides, which coincidentally also looked to cause problems in the 7's side this year. I know that's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison, just something I noticed.

I really don't have the experience to understand the subtleties of the fly-half position, but somehow Braid just doesn't look right there. Like he appears too direct or something...lacking in creativity maybe? I don't know, that's really stupid reasoning, but he just seems out of place. His place kicking was solid, though. Underwood certainly didn't distinguish himself and I'm hoping his dodgy decision making was more a function of unfamiliarity with the teammates/gameplan. I'm given to understand that he was a hot prospect last year, so maybe there's still hope; considering the quality and depth in the forwards and backline, having a top notch first five would really bring everything together for Canada. Plus it would obviously be great to establish a duo with Phil Mack, who looked just OK today, but has otherwise performed at a pretty high level across both codes in the last year, from what I've seen.

Only one word for Hassler, and that's "awesome". Case closed.

Sean White just doesn't appear to do any one thing well enough to stake a claim on a position ahead of other guys.

Taylor Paris seemed efficient, if unspectacular. I seem to remember him having a case of the yips when catching the ball not too long ago...the last PNC maybe?

McRorie looked OK, but he was never going to unseat Mack.

Getting pretty pumped for the Japan Test now!!

Latest posts