• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Pacific Nations Cup] Canada vs. Japan. 07/06/14

26 man roster has been announced, I'll comment tommorow as this is an alcohol influenced post.....except for DTH is healthy WAY EARLY!!!!

Tyler Ardron – (Ospreys/Ontario Blues) Lakefield, ON
Ray Barkwill – (Niagara Wasps RFC/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON
Nick Blevins – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
Connor Braid – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
Hubert Buydens – (Manawatu Turbos/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saskatoon, SK
Aaron Carpenter – (Cornish Pirates RFC) Brantford, ON
Jamie Cudmore – (ASM Clermont Auvergne) Squamish, BC
Nanyak Dala – (Castaway Wanderers/Saskatoon Wild Oats) Saskatoon, SK
Jeff Hassler – (Ospreys/Prairie Wolf Pack) Okotoks, AB
Ciaran Hearn – (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL
Tyler Hotson – (London Scottish RFC) Vancouver, BC
Jake Ilnicki – (Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears) Williams Lake, BC
Harry Jones – (UBCOB Ravens/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
Adam Kleeberger – (Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears) White Rock, BC
Phil Mack – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
Jason Marshall – (Atlantique Stade Rochelais) Vancouver, BC
Gordon McRorie – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
John Moonlight – (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues) Pickering, ON
Patrick Parfrey – (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. Johns, NL
Taylor Paris – (SU Agen Lot-et-Garonne) Barrie, ON
Jon Phelan – (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC
James Pritchard – (Bedford Blues) Parkes, NSW, Australia
Jebb Sinclair – (London Irish/Atlantic Rock) Fredericton, NB
Andrew Tiedemann – (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB
Liam Underwood – (Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON
DTH Van der Merwe – (Glasgow Warriors) Regina, SK

1. Buydens
2. Carpenter
3. Marshall
4. Cudmore
5. Hotson
6. Ardron
7. Moonlight
8. Sinclair
9. Mack
10. Jones
11. Paris
12. Van De Merwe
13. Hearn
14. Hassler
15. Pritchard

16. Barkwill
17. Tieddemann
18. Ilnicki
19. Phelan
20. Dala or Kleeberger
21. McRorie
22. Underwood
23. Braid

Last edited:
DTH making the roster is REALLY bugging me. And that is something I NEVER thought I would ever say, DTH is my favorite player in the world. I thought he was out until at least the Autumn Internationals. Did Crowley get him some super secret experimental shoulder surgery?

Phelan making it in over Beukeboom is also bugging me. I didn't get to watch the exhibition game today but it seems like a weird pick to me. Also Harry Jones and Patrick Parfey over both Phil Mackenzie and Conor Trainor seems a bit off but we shall see. I like Harry Jones and expected him to make the team so hopefully he has a good showing. Also like Blevins and McRorie making the team, repping that Alberta rugby woo. I'm kinda shocked that McRorie made the team over White, what with Canada's love affair with BC. He should be a decent sub if Phil Mack needs to come off. The duo of Carpenter and Barkwill at hooker won't inspire fear from any top nation and that's the only position I'm worried about right now. Carpenter should be able to hold down the fort well enough but we really need someone to step up big time as the World Cup is fast approaching. Fly-half might be the only other position that might be a bit questionable but Connor Braid and Liam Underwood should be able to do well enough and hopefully exceed expectations and they could move Harry Jones to Fly-half as well. I don't really have anything to say about the other selections as they went pretty much how I thought they would. Props look good for a T2 nation as do the starting Locks. Flankers don't really wow me but they are a solid group of lads who fight hard and play with a ton of heart.

My starting line up is exactly the same as the one LittleGuy posted. The talent of that group of Backs should be able to intimidate most countries Canada faces. If DTH can't go I'd starts Blevins or maybe Harry Jones which would bump Braid to starting Fly-half.

I count the Brave Blossoms as a rival to the same level as the Americans and I'm glad our boys get to face both teams again. I think our guys should have a great showing this month.

I agree with most of your picks, LittleGuy. Not sure that I would go with DTH at 12, though. Personally, I like the idea of Braid at 12 with Jones at 10. Not only can they platoon effectively, but Braid is a bit more of a hard charger (kinda like Blevins). In any case, I would go with the following:

1) Buydens
2) Carpenter
3) Marshall
4) Cudmore
5) Hotson
6) Sinclair
7) Moonlight
8) Ardron

9) Mack
10) Jones
11) Paris
12) Braid
13) DTH
14) Hassler
15) Pritchard

16) Barkwill
17) Tiedemann
18) Ilnicki
19) Phelan
20) Dala (Kleeberger needs to re-prove himself before he's back on the bench)
21) McRorie
22) Blevins
23) Hearn

I wonder whether DTH is ready to go right away as well, he's hardly had any game time in months, perhaps Blevins or Braid will indeed start against Japan with DTH on the bench.

I noticed a lot of the 7's guys were left off the team, I have a feeling Crowley is saving them for the 7's Commonwealth games tournament that's upcoming.

Ya Canada is in a tough group with New Zealand and Scotland and then poor little Barbados but the games aren't until the end of July so I don't know how much rest they need. 8 guys who played on the World Series made the June roster. The only other 7's guy who was really in contention for a spot on the men's 15 was Conor Trainor and maybe Nathan Hirayama and Sean White. Speaking of 7's I'm real interested to see how our guys do in Scotland and who will be going. Maybe they can go the superstitious route and send Braid, Duke, Fuailefau, Harry Jones, Pat Kay, Kleeberger, Phil Mack, Duncan Maguire, Moonlight, Scholz, Trainor and White back to Glasgow eh haha.

Ardron has been named Captain, I was surpised at that in November and didn't really like it at the time, I like it even less now. Surely Buydens, Carpenter and Pritch would have been better options.

Ardron has been named Captain, I was surpised at that in November and didn't really like it at the time, I like it even less now. Surely Buydens, Carpenter and Pritch would have been better options.

Buydens is 32, Carpenter is 31 and Pritchard is 34. They are all deserving of the captaincy but I doubt they'll be around for more than a couple more years. Personally I'd have kept the captaincy on Carpenter until he retired. But even at 22 years old I don't have a problem with Ardron being named captain. He's a key piece to the future of Canada and it's good to let him grow into his role from a young age. I think it signifies Canada is looking towards the future now and I think our future is bright as a nation.

I just feel too uncomfortable giving it to a 22 year old guy a year out from the RWC, likely Ardron will grow into a very good player(he held his own at Osprey's this year) but who knows, Chauncey O'Toole looked like the next big thing in 2011 and flopped horribly. I wasn't overly impressed with Ardron in November in the role, maybe that was some growing pains and he'll surpise me, but to me it's a needlessly risky choice.

Anyone see the new kits? I quite like the white one, and the black one is pretty good as well. It's not that I hate the red one but VERY close to Wales outfit.

Anyone see the new kits? I quite like the white one, and the black one is pretty good as well. It's not that I hate the red one but VERY close to Wales outfit.

Those were my thoughts as well. The white one is the best of the lot and I hope they wear those against the Japanese. The black ones are also really nice and simply and I dig the red stripes. The red ones just aren't doing it for me. I think there's just a bit too much red involved with the shorts and jersey. it could use some more black and white as a contrast to break up the giant mass of red. I'd swap out those red shorts with the black ones and then I think I could like it. It would definitely give it a "classic" team Canada hockey feel for me which I love.

I'd swap out those red shorts with the black ones and then I think I could like it. It would definitely give it a "classic" team Canada hockey feel for me which I love.

I hadn't thought about that. My initial thought was to switch in the white shorts like we've been having with the retro jerseys. Hmm...

How open do you think they are to listening to peoples reactions? I saw several comments on the facebook page saying much the same. Is there a chance RC will take notice and do some shorts-swapping?

Last edited:
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/de...277ca56af564edd047958a7fe1c.jpg?itok=LL86JBbA
I was thinking the classic look as worn by Captain Canada himself.

The White ones could be decent as well with the red jersey but I think black would look better. Red jersey and black shorts is what makes me think Canada. I just don't like that much red at once and think anything to break it up. I just showed my brother and one of my rugby buddies who'd been waiting for them eagerly and got the same reaction we've all had.

I'd think RC would be receptive to constructive criticism but who knows. Whether they do anything about it is another thing. With the money UA is putting into them I think they'll want to use the red shorts at least for a bit even if they are bleh. The red shorts aren't bad and I think they could alternate the kits to keep things fresh. Something like (jersey/shorts): black/black, white/black, white/white, white/red, red/white and red/black. The only one I wouldn't really play with is the black kit.

Lineups have been named I'll add them to the start of the thread.

Both are strong sides, for Canada not too many surprises, a couple of guys a little too knocked to go and Parfrey unsurpisingly the odd man out at the backs. DTH wasn't game ready to start, the two surprises ar McRorie starting over Mack and to a lesser degree Barkwill starting ahead of Carpenter.

Last edited:
Why bring on DTH if he isn't game ready and you could have had Phil Mackenzie? I guess we'll find out how it goes on Saturday. At the very least DTH might make a decent impact sub this month. I was kinda shocked McRorie made it over Phil Mack but he's a talented player and I can't wait to see what he can do. And I'm not a fan of Barkwill but I guess it makes sense to start him over Carpenter right now. They'll probably both play around a half each if I had to bet on it. Hooker is definitely the weakest position we have though and I hope someone steps up big time this next year heading into England 2015. Overall I think Crowley put together a pretty strong team and they should be able to handle the Japanese well enough. I just want a win against them so bad....I don't like the Brave Blossoms haha.

I think Phil Mackenzie is getting married soon(on twitter this has been hinted at), so I think he might have taken himself out of the side.

I like Barkwill but not as a starter, I've found him quite effective in games where he comes on for the final half hour to twenty minutes seems to add a spark like Dala does, I think your bang on with what will happen a half or so each. The starter job for next week might be n the line depending on how they play this game.

I still think Fly Half is our problem position, Jones was underwhelming in November there, Braid is bland not going to lose you games but not going to win them either. I wonder if Mack is being rested a bit for the Scotland game? I could also see Cudmore only playing about 40-50 minutes this week to save him for Scotland.

Looks like this one will be a sellout, just a handful of tickets left with nearly two days to go till kickoff.

Last edited:
Guess this is the right time to come out of the woodwork.

I'm very much looking forward to this game and I hoping with don't draw....again. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend as I'm up in Whistler for work.

I just wanted to say I glad to see Hassler doing so well. After everyone practically called me an idiot for suggesting that recruiting Football players and making them dual athletes would be an easy way to get the best of both worlds, well I feel very vindicated by his success. Hopefully there is more come.

Does anyone know if they are ever going to allow rugby on BC Place's turf. Such an upgrade over Swangard.

McRorie has been on the National Selectors radars since before his plane touched down from Scotland in 2012. All that has held him back is his residency requirement. That has been fulfilled and it is time to cap him. I agree that it is a surprise that he is starting the first game I would have expected him to be coming in off the bench. Maybe they (Crowley et al.) see Mack as more of an impact sub with his 7's mentality. On a side note it was McRorie who replaced our beloved Ed Fairhurst as UBCOB Ravens scrum half so maybe a little Fairhurst magic has rubbed off on him.

If DTH is healthy enough to play he might as well start on the bench and give him some time work back into form. I'm a little concerned about about the back three. I like Hassler very much but he is only average under the high ball and I haven't seen anything from Paris in a while since he has been in France but he used to be an absolute fright underneath the high ball. I watch a lot of Highlander rugby and Tanaka has an excellent box kick and you can bet your bottom dollar that Hassler and Paris are going to get a work out.

Of all our flyhalves I rate Jones the most. He has been excellent on the 7's circuit this year and getting better all the time so I say he gets a chance to prove himself in 15's Underwood was underwhelming in the little BC v. Canada trial and since he is injured there really isn't any discussion to be had at the position. In the centres I'm still surprised at Trainor's ommision but the one certainty you have have is solid defence. Blevins and Hearn are not exactly the most dynamic pair in world rugby but they will be solid, nobody will run over them and Hearns pace has improved with his vast 7's experience and he can kick the stitches off the ball should that be needed. Pritch is Pritch, I love him but everyone knows what you are getting there. STEADY

Forwards should be good. Obviously I'm stoked that 'Cuddles' is in the lineup. His effect at scrum time cannot be overstated. He is a tackling machine when motivated and a menace at the breakdown. Maybe playing beside him will show Hotson what he needs to be aspiring to. Carpenter is still unproven as a hooker at this level so it makes sense to start him on the bench. Barkwell starts because there is no other viable option. The backrow picks itself once you have decided Carpenter is a hooker. I'm glad Kleeberger has made the bench, lets hope he finds his form of old. He was a turnover magnet in the past maybe he can be again.

Lastly, great news about ticket sales. Two years ago I was absolutely disgusted by what took place at the Georgia game. RC has done a good job marketing the game this time, all the local clubs are on board and i'm looking forward to that game.

On that note, if anyone is interested, I have a ticket available as the person I was going with has been called into work. It's a good seat, SEC C, row 22, one seat off the aisle. It should be right about the 10 metre line. The only downside is you have to sit next to me. I promise to shave, shower and wear clean clothes if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Latest posts