• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

PES 2009

I didn't like that I pretty much downloaded a 1gb promo video with a demo thrown in. The extra vids could have been watched on youtube. And the presentation looks very "chen", or sega-like.

I am used to playing PES 08 on Top Player difficulty, but I lost 1-0 on regular difficulty on my first game. I love a new challenge.

Diving still works but it's more subtle than last years.

Players fighting you for the ball gives you momentum pushing the ball forward, even when the ball looks to be "owned" by no one, if that makes sense.

Can someone tell me if the cursor settings are different to last years? I set it to manual, and my players just started playing by themselves until I changed player. Have I just not realised this happening before?

Going back to play another game...

The goalie now takes his kicks outside the box for restarts.
The load time between halves is instantaneous.
CPU players are alot better at slide takling.
The sound around the stadium is immense!!!
The default camera is called PES Claw- is that a joke?

hmmm i dunno
it feels great 4 once to control everything ....response is astounding
but it feels arcady........dribbling is on a string
i have landed 2 free kicks already........
graphics r fine imo
thru balls r excellent.....no flaws in ai ineptness that fifa has
online will make or break pes09
its more fun than fifa09 but is not a sim by any means...
but again being in control of everything means U r the 1 2 blame for mistakes, and u pull off the 1-2 pass into space its a sense of ZOMG i PWND this ****
more tomoz

PES games might feel arcadey but under the hood andafter many years of practise that start to have the same depth as JLR.

Small example. playing mate on PES 2008 today and made a break up the pitch with Ronaldinho who cuts back to the center of pitch and the right back starts a run up the pitch goes past Ron towards the corner flag so I spot his run and backheel the ball into his path and he hits a first time cross, now this is just one of those small points that make all the difference"Ronaldo has cut across the box towards the far post in anticipation for the cross, the cossed ball is coming in he jumps in the air I pull a bit back and to the right on the analogue stick so he pulls off the defender slightly back and to the right while in the air and connect with the ball planting the ball in the top corner followed by a big whoop in my mates ear.

There are hundreds of tiny gameplay situations like this that actually make it much more sim and real to any other sports game out there.

This is one of the games that is like a fine red wine the more you play it the more you mature, it becomes more enjoyable every time you have another sip.

i agree the 1st time on the demo i hated it
3-4 matches later i am already planning my master league assault for 2009

I love it.

It feels like PES5 and that is no bad thing. You'll have to think to unlock defences here. Not sure how you do tricks though I think you use the d pad but not had much luck yet.

Gee I can already see myself switching back to PEs.......

As gun guy said.....online will make or break it.

Anyone else notice Christiano Ronaldo's recent tan? or is that just my projector?

I agree that the new PES is a little arcadey, but I reckon Konami have found a great balance between fun and realism. I'd except online play to be a lot better, especially if they are touting that 2 v 2 feature.

Yep
I am sold â€" FIFA09 going back to the shop…..my 7-0 win loss online record will remain on the leaderboards.
PES
Dell is right they found a balance of fun and realism
The more you play the more u see the intricacies of breaking the defense or your team mates runs
The thru ball is superb â€" completely manual in pace and direction, so u can really put it out there â€" the great deft ball
Everything is at your fingertips â€" none of this AI screwing you over, I can charge my keeper with confidence out of the box to boot the loose ball back into play.

PUT IT ON WIDE CAM â€" WIDE CAM â€" WIDE CAM
WIDE CAM WIDE CAM WIDE CAM

Did I say wide cam â€" this is much better, u can see off the ball situations which can be of benefit, overlaps, runs etc

The return of the king is back â€" I pray for online smoothness

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 3 2008, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The return of the king is back â€" I pray for online smoothness[/b]
Yep online is the thing that will give PES the edge over Fifa......no point having a great game if the only people who will ever experience your skills are your freinds who visit you once in a while.

Well done gun guy on your 7-0 record Fifa record! I can pretty much concede that if you had stayed on Fifa PS3 you would have schooled me for sure :bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 3 2008, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yep
I am sold â€" FIFA09 going back to the shop…..my 7-0 win loss online record will remain on the leaderboards.
PES
Dell is right they found a balance of fun and realism
The more you play the more u see the intricacies of breaking the defense or your team mates runs
The thru ball is superb â€" completely manual in pace and direction, so u can really put it out there â€" the great deft ball
Everything is at your fingertips â€" none of this AI screwing you over, I can charge my keeper with confidence out of the box to boot the loose ball back into play.

PUT IT ON WIDE CAM â€" WIDE CAM â€" WIDE CAM
WIDE CAM WIDE CAM WIDE CAM

Did I say wide cam â€" this is much better, u can see off the ball situations which can be of benefit, overlaps, runs etc

The return of the king is back â€" I pray for online smoothness[/b]

ha ha as usual we are totally in argreement on camera angles. If you want to truly enjoy this game it is to be played on wide cam.

One of the craziest things this year is that I really think the graphics are better than Fifa09.

Guys give this one point a little thought, it might seem a little arcadey but that is because it plays so smoothly and responsively. Think of JLR that was totally arcadey but this is where you would have been fooled as the level of response and ability to do what ever you wished on the field was actually very sim like in terms of a what was under the hood. It was so well made that it seemed easy after playing it for awhile.

This is were PES is on the same level. This is one more small small example of the stuff going on off the ball that is not ovious to the eye. Playing a mate and I hoof a long ball out from defense and my forward is standing just past the half way, I press back into the defender and then forward on the stick to try and make some space but get a free kick against me as the I knocked over the the defender by backing into him on then taking the ball on my chest.

One of the main points about Fifa that they have still not fixed is the animations, I mean still to this day you can't pull any tricks without an animation kicking in taking that millisecond of control away and also slowing play resulting in a very frustrating gameplay experience. PES apart from 2 small animations with certain players such as Henry & Ronaldo the play never suffers from this problem and this is where PES stands out! No other sports ***le can achieve this and I think it still confuses the oppostion on how they pull this off.

Anyone notice the new animations in different goals scored for example how each player will shape and shoot or use the outside of his boot etc.

I like the way the loose ball is dealt with. If you go to hoof the ball downfield and the opposition gets there before you, instead of swinging a foot then doing nothing, your player will stick his foot in to the tackle instead, or depending on how far away the ball is, launch into a slide tackle.

The more I hear about the issues with football games....the more I realise how lucky I am that EA Rugby and Madden are totally free in its 360 degree movement. The thing that always ticks me off about both PES and Fifa is that they still to this day have the same old 8 directions with ball dribbling.

This is sounding awesome! PES5 totally converted me from Fifa since playing it from the '98 WC release, so it's great to hear their going back to their 'roots'. I've totally lost interest in PES 2008.
I totally agree with TheBokke about the older PES's depth in gameplay. I played PES 5 for about 2 years and I would still little extra things every now and then that would just blow me away. This sounds like a must buy!

Tried both demos and Fifa is way better imo. PES is too arcadey, feels cheap and unrealistic, the eight way is worse than Fifa imo and the sound effects are awful...only trouble is Fifa is ***** because of glitches and stuff and you can still score from halfway from some reports...meh.

Might have to give this year the dodge if EA can't patch up their game.

I might buy this all singing and all dancing 32 way movement pad being specifically released for PES. That should put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Here - Quick question....does anyone know if the 2009 Wii version have the Master League back? I found the champions road a load of toss. Played it for about 2 weeks and haven't since....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Oct 3 2008, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I might buy this all singing and all dancing 32 way movement pad being specifically released for PES. That should put the cat amongst the pigeons.[/b]
Yeah I heard about the pad but it puzzles me....if the directions are meant to be in the programme then why would a pad bring it out when the stcks are already analogue? Should the analogue sticks bring out 32 directions anyway?