• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Playstation 2 Slim

C

captainamerica

Does anyone else own a Playstation 2 Slim?

I bought one yesterday and spent the first 20 minutes just staring at it. It's so small. It's the size of a high-school girl's diary. I felt like I was prying into someone's life and should just shove it between the mattresses and be done with it.

Then I finished my season of college football and everything was fine.

So, if anyone else owns one of these things -- what's the point of 'em? Why slim? Do the make internet connection easier -- I have no idea.

I just bought it cause I need one for Rugby 2005...and I'd like to finish GTA:SA sometime too (I was borrowing my original PS2 from a friend and they needed it back, the jerk.)

I was goint to get one when they first came out. But they sold out and I didn't. Haven't played PS2 for months and not missing it a bit.

So it's thinner...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've got one. Don't let anyone under the age of 15 use it. Chances are they'll break it. Either by touching the lens or resting it on the carpet for a long period of time.
My one broke because it got taken to someones house and it was played all night and sucked up dust and overheated because it was on the carpet.
Luckily it was under warrantee and got a new one. Just playing GTASA for the first time in over 2 months.

I like it, because it makes my TV look bigger than it really is.

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Mar 1 2005, 11:57 AM
So it's thinner...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Yes, and it appeals to people who didn't have a PS2 before then and doesn't cost more.

Pointless if you've already got one though.

Thanks. Cool.

So, nothing to do with internet something or other. It's just smaller and makes Americans look even fatter when they stand next to it?

Well, no, it has a network adaptor build in, so you don't have to go and buy a new one.

...It has all of this stuff on the box.

And remember cap'n, it wasn't build for Americans to look fatter, it was build so the Japanese look normal sized.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Mar 1 2005, 11:15 AM
Well, no, it has a network adaptor build in, so you don't have to go and buy a new one.
Is that a good thing? I guess it saves pennies.

Umo, do you look fatter or normal sized next to yours? I look fatter but I feel normal.

Weird.

Originally posted by captainamerica+Mar 1 2005, 12:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Mar 1 2005, 12:18 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-.:kaftka:.
@Mar 1 2005, 11:15 AM
Is that a good thing? I guess it saves pennies.

Umo, do you look fatter or normal sized next to yours? I look fatter but I feel normal.

Weird. [/b]
It's certainly not a bad thing, as the PS2 slim doesn't cost anymore as the bigger ones.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Mar 1 2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks. Cool.

So, nothing to do with internet something or other. It's just smaller and makes Americans look even fatter when they stand next to it?
a. u get the built in network adaptor, so u dont have ot pay for 1.
b. u get a new controller - its the same one as b4, but its obviously brand new
c. u get a brand new machine

i traded in my old one and got a new slim ps2, and it was a good deal for me

my old ps2 didnt play normal cd's (music), for some reason, and my old controller was slowly dying aswell.
so i traded in my old ps2, and 2 games (2004 TW and NRL) and paid $50.

and got a prestine little beast, that plays cd's and a brand spanking new cispy controller............and newtork ready..............thats the best $50 i spent in a long time........big deal i dont have TW2004 and NRL........i own TW2005 now and NRL wasnt the greastest, and with NRL2 along the horizon, i am very pleased with my little ps2!

It's obviously good for new people, no cost in getting the adaptor set up so no cost for online gaming.

Captain, it's so the PS2 people can market it again and get a nice little boost.

All you need is a broadband modem, and fill out a form somewhere and you'll be online (I think, I've got old style PS2 so I had to get the network adaptor).

PS2 online is lame though. I've got it. I'm glad I've got it for RL2, but that's the only thing I will use it for.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Mar 1 2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks. Cool.

Hmmmm interesting statement considering the American designed XBOX looks like it an executive bursting at the seems after eating too much fast food...

I remember that they were released on the same day as GTA:SA and when I went to pick up my copy of GTA, there were three people in front of me trading their regular PS2's in for new slim versions. I'm not sure what the trade-in value was, but I didn't see the point in doing that......surely they would normally only appeal to people who previously didn't have a PS2.

Originally posted by reyalpevlewtrepus@Mar 1 2005, 10:05 PM
I remember that they were released on the same day as GTA:SA and when I went to pick up my copy of GTA, there were three people in front of me trading their regular PS2's in for new slim versions. I'm not sure what the trade-in value was, but I didn't see the point in doing that......surely they would normally only appeal to people who previously didn't have a PS2.
It's pretty stupid really... the PS3 will be out next year, it's just a way for sony to make a bit more cash before the PS2 becomes completely obsolete.

I remember now. I (amazingly) managed to get my PS2 AND GTA SA two whole days after they were released, Oct 29th.

Aaah. I love living in a small town.

Originally posted by reyalpevlewtrepus@Mar 1 2005, 10:05 PM
it also appeals to the people with massive ps2's that were dying of old age...like mine

mine didnt play audio cd's anymore
i have 3 broken controllers - all to my fault with anger............but when trading in the old ps2, that wont play audio cd's, i also thru in one of my broken controllers
they dont check if anything works...they may call u back, but they never did with me.
<

so now i have audio cd capabilities
a new controller
and a brand new slim ps2, thats network ready

when the conditions fit, u gotto do it.......its not just for the newbies getting on board ps2 shirly temple styles

for the ones that thrashed their big daddy too much and was slowly sinking into its overuse - a new one as a trade off with 2 old games and a little $$ is really nothing....and its gratifying, as i am also now back under warranty!!!
<

p.s - furthur to all this u also update to the latest model - which doesnt really mean its better in anyway, but u know it has been remodelled internally for a reason - i dunno that reason, (i am sure theres more to it than size) but u dont make changes inside the beast for the worst........remember the 1st batch of ps2's like 5 yrs ago were changed within a yr coz they werent as reliable as they should have been

i aint saying the slimmer ps2 is more reliable, but its gotto be better inside than the big ones from yrs ago.

oh - and my lens is now brand new aswell.....before i could setup slot cars on the lens
i basically got a brand new ps2 for 2 old games i never play anymore and $50
NOW THATS A DEAL, WHEN THE OLD ONE IS DYING

Latest posts